Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,422 times

Advertisements

I was given a hideous first name at birth -- a name that clearly was not thought through with any feeling toward what I would have to put up with in life. Further, with all the other negatives my birth handed me, that name was literally crushing.

When the family moved, when I was 8.5, I had already had enough negativity with the name that I refused to use it anymore, in spite of strong corporal punishment. When I started college, I got that name legally changed. Later, I also changed my second name.

What a relief! But neither of the names I changed to are conventional. It is not conventionality that matters, in my opinion, but what the name means technically and what the name means to the individual.

O MightyQueen801! We must be sisters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I was given a hideous first name at birth -- a name that clearly was not thought through with any feeling toward what I would have to put up with in life. Further, with all the other negatives my birth handed me, that name was literally crushing.

When the family moved, when I was 8.5, I had already had enough negativity with the name that I refused to use it anymore, in spite of strong corporal punishment. When I started college, I got that name legally changed. Later, I also changed my second name.

What a relief! But neither of the names I changed to are conventional. It is not conventionality that matters, in my opinion, but what the name means technically and what the name means to the individual.

O MightyQueen801! We must be sisters!

I am actually really curious to know what your name is.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM

I seriously would love to tell you! But not even my grandchildren know. My best friend does not know. My children have to think about it to remember. No living soul calls me by that name anymore -- all who did have passed away. Not even my brothers and sisters, all of whom are still living (thank G-d!!) would think of calling me by that name!

I'm sorry!!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:49 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I seriously would love to tell you! But not even my grandchildren know. My best friend does not know. My children have to think about it to remember. No living soul calls me by that name anymore -- all who did have passed away. Not even my brothers and sisters, all of whom are still living (thank G-d!!) would think of calling me by that name!

I'm sorry!!
Adolf? haha jk. I did know a girl named Sunny Day. I could never imagine going through life with a name like that.

I had the opportunity to work on a hiring project when I was an intern for a radio broadcasting company about 2 years ago. Keep in mind it was for a top 40 station so a little bit of unconventionality and "edginess" was ok. However some of the names on the resumes we got where just crazy! We would play a game "male or female" because we honestly thought some of the names where just sounds thrown together. We brought in some of the people for interviews just because we where curious as to what these people looked like.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Adolf? haha jk. I did know a girl named Sunny Day. I could never imagine going through life with a name like that.

Ha I knew a Chilly Winters. They can get an act together and go on the road. Her parents actually made up the first name Chillandria just so the nick-name would be Chilly.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I have a family member named Stormy Gayle. These ladies definitely need to get together for a road trip.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM

This is starting to remind me of some pastors (from the old church) who went fishing. I can't remember all of the fishers nor all of the story, but I remember this:
Another fisher, as fishers will do, came up to them to talk with them that cold day in the upper Northwest USA. The other fisher introduced himself, then one of the fishers I knew introduced himself and the other by their real names, saying, "Well, this is Jack Frost, and I'm Friesen" (pronounced freezin'). The visiting fisher gave them a dirty look and just walked off.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:45 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I have a family member named Stormy Gayle. These ladies definitely need to get together for a road trip.
There was a Sandy Rocks in my high school.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was a Sandy Rocks in my high school.
We had a Merry Christmas. Nice girl, good sense of humor.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 AM

556 posts, read 797,997 times
If I have another more children I'm considering naming them Doctor and President. I mean what can be better? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting