U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,988,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
The worst name I've ever heard was Chiquita, which of course is the name of one of the major banana growers. Well I guess she'll be able to get a lot of free stickers with her name on.
Was that an actual name or a nickname because chiquita mean small one(feminine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM

1,465 posts, read 2,710,405 times
This is an interesting toy to see how popular namers are/were through the years
NameVoyager: Baby Name Wizard Graph of Most Popular Baby Names | The Baby Name Wizard

Old 09-02-2010, 02:03 PM

2,060 posts, read 2,969,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Was that an actual name or a nickname because chiquita mean small one(feminine).
No as a name, and she had no idea it was even a Spanish word or what it meant. Just saw it written somewhere (probably her lunch) and liked it!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM

4,696 posts, read 2,348,904 times
I have a somewhat weird name. It is Brazilian Indian. I HATE IT!!! lol but other people seem to love it because it is "unique".

Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM

11,057 posts, read 9,350,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Yes I do. However english really isn't a phonetic language. Lots of silent letters and such. I know everyone hates to believe it but names have actual spellings like Madison. Not Madysin, Madasyn, Maddason. I know it "looks cute" but realistically when you get into the job market people are going to look at your resume and say "looks like they came from a low income family with no education or looks like they where a product of a teen mom."

I've worked in HR I know how it works.
Like it or not, there will always be people who prejudge. Don't give any one the opportunity to prejudge by giving your kid a misspelled name.

Glad my name doesn't end in an "i" because I'd be dotting it with a heart. Just kidding.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 09-03-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 AM

1,161 posts, read 821,322 times
Parents think their little kid is just SO special that they need a name that is rare and unique. Its like these names indicate that the parents thought that their kid was just cut from a better cloth than YOUR kid.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,816,268 times
Name the kid Michelle or Michael and then focus on their education....not how "sexy" the name will sound in the rack when they are adults.

Even if parent is attractive, they might have an ugly kid. No name can hide ugly.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:22 PM

325 posts, read 186,134 times
Default Yes, why??

I agree with the person who said it is a "disease of the ego." Well put. I had an unusual first name, Vara, but I was named for my grandmother because I was born on her birthday--it's more old fashioned than anything, actually. I go by my middle name. When I had a daughter I gave her the ordinary spelling of "Joy." Many people asked me if it was spelled "Joi," or "Joye," and looked disappointed when I said no, just J-o-y .

This daughter is grown now and has a business making children's clothes and embroidery. The names have gotten so uhhh, unique that she asks people wanting embroidered items for their little darlins' to initial the order or fill it out themselves showing the name so she can prove the spelling was as requested on the finished item. Don't even get me started on the ones with all the apostrophes and usually the moms want that on a very narrow ribbon item--it's impossible!!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:21 PM

1,469 posts, read 897,677 times
One of my pet peeves: alcoholic names for kids--Chardonnay, Alize, Corvoiseir, Champagne. Brandy used to be a nice name that didn't neccessarily conjure up the thought of the alcoholic beverage, but of course there are people who feel the need to take things to a whole new level.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,895,242 times
I recently learned of a little girl in Detroit named "ashsholly" Spelled *******. A$$Hole

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-30-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting