Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 05:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
LOL. It doesn't just happen in Mexican culture. In my family we have:

1. Nephew John
2. Son in law John
3. Niece's husband John

My sister calls them First and Second, Third of John. (Bible readers will catch that)

Then we have grandson Josh and granddaughter's husband Jos

And of course there is son Jack and son-in-law's dad Jack.

It seems we can never have a coversation without clarifying who it is we are discussing.
It goes on in Italian families, too. Call out Paulie or Joey and 10 guys look.

For crying out loud, be original (but not weird).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
LOL! I thought this was controversial! Sheesh! Oh well ... We can now get some input from other parents here ...
Controversial or not, I have enjoyed this "conversation" more than I have any on the forum in a long time. Felt like a bunch of friends sitting around chatting and that is something I don't feel on this forum very often.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I knew a single mom who told me she had named her daughter "Chivon". At least I thought it would be spelled that way, from the way she said it. Different, and sort of pretty.

Found out later she spelled it "Shavawn". Felt very sorry for the kid after that.

I can't help but wonder if some kids' names simply reflect the ignorance and illiteracy of the parents.
This is actually not an uncommon Irish name, though "Shavawn" isn't much closer to the traditional spelling than "Chivon" is. The traditional spelling is Siobhan. I don't feel sorry for her on account of the name so much as for the clunky Anglicized spelling.

If you Google the traditional spelling, it comes back with over 4 million hits. So I wouldn't say it's such an unconventional name, it just has an unconventional spelling in her case.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Because they're idiots.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:

1. Nephew John
2. Son in law John
3. Niece's husband John

My sister calls them First and Second, Third of John. (Bible readers will catch that)

It seems we can never have a coversation without clarifying who it is we are discussing.
My cousin is John, his son is also John. My cousin is 6'4", so for 18 years they were Big John and Little John. Then Little John grew to be 6'6". Now he's just John and his dad is Fat John.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:

1. Nephew John
2. Son in law John
3. Niece's husband John

Haha! 1st John, 2nd John and 3rd John ... Love it!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Exactly! I just pray that when I have my first child, my husband will not demand that the child is named after him. If he is insistent, maybe we can do a variation of his name or use his name as the child's middle name.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Controversial or not, I have enjoyed this "conversation" more than I have any on the forum in a long time. Felt like a bunch of friends sitting around chatting and that is something I don't feel on this forum very often.
I totally hear ya LML. The Politics and Other Controversies Forum was getting a bit ugly and it's nice to have a pleasant chat for a change.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
My cousin is John, his son is also John. My cousin is 6'4", so for 18 years they were Big John and Little John. Then Little John grew to be 6'6". Now he's just John and his dad is Fat John.
LOL! Maybe it should be Big John and Bigger John LOL!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

For some reason my mother named all the boys in my family 'J' names - plus my dads name is a 'J' names as well. She says it was the biggest regret in her life as it is hard to keep it all straight.
Now for the odd part - both my sister and I (non J named) married men with 'J' names.

Six men with names starting with J - not cute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting