U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:22 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,304,533 times

Advertisements

Back in my home country, we used to go to school from 2 PM to 7:35PM!!!I loved that time!!!PLENTY OF TIME TO SLEEP!!!And that was 3 years ago ( high school ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
This morning on CBS This Morning there was a segment about teens not getting enough sleep. It is a documented fact that a teen's chemistry is different than that of an adult's, making it more difficult for a teen to fall asleep at a time when an adult probably would. This is not new information, it's been out for about ten years now. Currently, there is a movement among parents and teens across the country to change the start time for high school to allow teens a schedule that works more in keeping with their natural clocks. What's your opinion on this? The CBS News site will be updated soon with today's broadcast should you want to look at the segment yourself. I'm interested to see what you all think! I'm a mom of 4, 3 of them are teens---mornings are not easy in my house, but "bedtimes" can be just as difficult!
I am a High school student at fillmore high and it drives me friggen crazy to get up at 6:00am to get to school we reallly need school to start later

Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 AM

3,413 posts, read 7,835,342 times
When these teenagers enter the adult world they're going to be rudely awakened when business won't change their operating hours to accommodate their schedules...........

Early risers are more productive and by high school kids need to be readying themselves for the real world- I think it's ridiculous to think that school hours should change to allow kids to sleep later.

I have a teenager who leaves for school before 7AM- he's up a little after 6. He doesn't have a bed time because after a full day, he's usually asleep between 9-10 anyway.

Parents with kids that want to stay up until all hours need to insist that the computer is shut off by 9- I'm sure that's a big piece of these so called night owls.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,342,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
When these teenagers enter the adult world they're going to be rudely awakened when business won't change their operating hours to accommodate their schedules...........

Early risers are more productive and by high school kids need to be readying themselves for the real world- I think it's ridiculous to think that school hours should change to allow kids to sleep later.

I have a teenager who leaves for school before 7AM- he's up a little after 6. He doesn't have a bed time because after a full day, he's usually asleep between 9-10 anyway.

Parents with kids that want to stay up until all hours need to insist that the computer is shut off by 9- I'm sure that's a big piece of these so called night owls.
THANK YOU!!! They have no problem getting up if it's to do something they want to do, but to start school...God forbid. Give me a break. My in-laws' neighbors' kid pulled this crap and her mom went right along with it. But nobody had a problem getting up early for softball practice, or classtrips. This is part of becoming an adult and learning to function in an adult world kids. Set your alarm clock and go to sleep before 12am. I'm pregnant and require more sleep too-where's uproar to get a later starting time for pregnant women and their unborn children??? Maybe I can get my mom to write me a note and it will be ok.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:58 AM

395 posts, read 1,792,563 times
My kids have to leave at 7:00 a.m. for high school, it begins at 7:20. I am not really crazy with the early start. My daughter is in the shower at 5:45 a.m., followed by my son. My dh has to shower at 5:00 a.m. to get his shower in. Most of the kids work after school for four hours, or have after school activities, and then it's homework. My kids are often asleep as early as 8:00 p.m. on weeknights, and nap after school, my 18 year old is napping as we speak. I have to wake him up for work in a bit.

Coming from one with experience at the early hours, I'd like to see school start 20 minutes or so later.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM

11,395 posts, read 15,999,324 times
I wouldn't have a problem with when a high school started if not for the bus schedules. My school bus picked me up at 6:45- my school didn't start til 8:30! The bus driver had to get to her elementary school route which for some reason was on the other side of the county, so we would be at school about an hour before it even opened. I wasn't the type of kid who needed tutoring so there wasn't anything for me to do. Horrible for a night owl. :P School ended at 3:30 and I had marching band until 7 every night until December and the rest of the year until 5. Then I was up until 2AM doing homework because all of my classes were AP classes (or a stray lower level French here and there) with multiple weekly papers in 3 languages.

Later on, got to college and was diagnosed with chronic fatigue and a sleep disorder due to years of high school only being able to get about 3-4 hours of sleep a night. And my parents wondered why I slept until noon on the weekends! I went to a competitive school where this was the norm. Making school later wouldn't change that.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,340,267 times
It's ridiculous. Here teens have to catch the bus at 6am...in the dark. It's unrealistic to think that most will go to bed at 9pm to get eight hours of sleep. (But my kids are nappers, too, justamom. Naps are wonderful!) School systems are in the stone age.

I think they should start at 10am and get out at five. That way they have less time to do what I did when I was in high school before my mom and dad got home

From the Nemours Foundation:

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_...uch_sleep.html

These studies show that during the teen years, the body's circadian rhythm (sort of like an internal biological clock) is temporarily reset, telling a person to fall asleep later and wake up later. This change in the circadian rhythm seems to be due to the fact that the brain hormone melatonin is produced later at night for teens than it is for kids and adults. This can make it harder for teens to fall asleep early.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 12-12-2007 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 PM

428 posts, read 2,217,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I think they should start at 10am and get out at five. That way they have less time to do what I did when I was in high school before my mom and dad got home

[/i]
Hallelujah! Someone finally said it.

what's the harm of high schools changing their time to coincide with natural wake/sleep patterns of the child? Or even, the real world? It is an 8-5 world, and making teens conform to a different reality is, well, cruel and unusual.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 PM

3,413 posts, read 7,835,342 times
I don't know where you live, Missy but my world is far from 8-5.

It starts around 5:30 when I wake up and make coffee. Get my son up around 6:20 and out the door at 7. Then my workday starts. Sometimes it ends by 3, sometimes it goes later. Then it's off to pick my son up from his after school sports practice. We come home, eat dinner if there's time, and if we're lucky we get to stay home and do homework and relax- but at least two nights a week we have either music lessons or other meetings to attend.

So in the 8-5 world, I'm more like a 5AM-8PM girl.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:46 PM

392 posts, read 1,681,823 times
I am so glad they didn't have later hours when I was in school. I never had a problem getting to school, staying there was a whole other matter! Perfect attendance first period, then it got progressively worse though out the day
There just seemed to be a whole world more interesting to me that those afternoon classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or