U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:49 PM

9 posts, read 16,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No. I think that if someone is actually stating that you have to wear a skirt to play then I have to question the planet they come from. That is intentionally trying to humilate someone to keep them from playing. This is not about "abiding by the rules".
PIAA RULES require that all team members are in matching uniforms. So if the "uniform" includes a kilt, then regardless of gender all players are required to wear a kilt. But there is nothing that says the uniform has to be a kilt. About 10 years ago there was a boy on a local high school team. Instead of making him wear a kilt, they switched to shorts. So the uniform question depends on the team I think. But think about this: why should a team that perhaps has always played in kilts suddenly switch because one member doesn't want to wear a kilt? Think of the cost alone of that switch to the team or the team members. And in any case, switching from a kilt to shorts doesn't make it any less of a girl's team. If a boy is worried about being teased then he should think twice about joining a GIRL's HS field hockey team in the first place.

Anyway, I don't think that whether they wear a skirt or not is a big deal. This isn't new to PA. Boys have been playing Girls HS field hockey for more than 10 years and they have all worn kilts. I have no problem with a guy wearing a kilt with a compression short underneath, and doing so does not in anyway reflect on his character. Those who would make an issue out of a boy wearing a skirt are insulting those boys by making more of an issue out of it than it is to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 02:18 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,295,063 times
the kid is going to get roasted in school regardless of putting on a kilt or not

we had a kid who joined the girls volleyball team in HS - wasn't a good scene at all

through adult eyes you shouldn't knock someone for such a thing - but to a school full of kids, it will happen and should be considered

in some of the surrounding schools they had female football players and wrestlers

i also agree that if interested they should check out lacrosse - in the NE it's a very popular game

if you are in the philly area and don't mind to travel a little, check out the Drexel womens team this year ........ they are ranked 11th in the nation and are 7-1 entering conference play with a key win over Duke with their only loss coming at a highly ranked UConn

Old 09-25-2009, 06:10 PM

3,566 posts, read 2,960,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissx View Post
PIAA RULES require that all team members are in matching uniforms. So if the "uniform" includes a kilt, then regardless of gender all players are required to wear a kilt. But there is nothing that says the uniform has to be a kilt. About 10 years ago there was a boy on a local high school team. Instead of making him wear a kilt, they switched to shorts. So the uniform question depends on the team I think. But think about this: why should a team that perhaps has always played in kilts suddenly switch because one member doesn't want to wear a kilt? Think of the cost alone of that switch to the team or the team members. And in any case, switching from a kilt to shorts doesn't make it any less of a girl's team. If a boy is worried about being teased then he should think twice about joining a GIRL's HS field hockey team in the first place.

Anyway, I don't think that whether they wear a skirt or not is a big deal. This isn't new to PA. Boys have been playing Girls HS field hockey for more than 10 years and they have all worn kilts. I have no problem with a guy wearing a kilt with a compression short underneath, and doing so does not in anyway reflect on his character. Those who would make an issue out of a boy wearing a skirt are insulting those boys by making more of an issue out of it than it is to them.
Yes, it is a decision made by the team. I don't think I made myself clear. Since it is a decision that is made by the team, then the reason to not change it to shorts is?

Further, any gender that walks into a high school anything that is dominated by another gender is going to have a rough go. Frankly, that is a problem. That is a problem that should be corrected.

My point is, that this is an international sport like other sports. That is exactly where the focus should be at. So, my stance is no (to my son), your not going to join a team and wear a skirt to deal with rules that have changed to American standards anyway for a game that if you lived in almost any other country you would have the chance to really compete at and catch a whole lot less flack.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:13 PM

16,913 posts, read 11,694,045 times
Quote:
Yes, it is a decision made by the team. I don't think I made myself clear. Since it is a decision that is made by the team, then the reason to not change it to shorts is?
Assuming uniforms are either purchased by the participant or the school, I would say the problem is cost. Why should an entire team have to purchase new uniforms because of one participant?

Old 09-25-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Assuming uniforms are either purchased by the participant or the school, I would say the problem is cost. Why should an entire team have to purchase new uniforms because of one participant?
Why not? Why not through fundraising?

Either we have kids that want to play sprots and they really like it or think they would be really good at it. We should open up the doors.

As I said, it doesn't matter because this is an international sport.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Do you have kids that participate in sports? They already do fundraising, in addition, it still costs a lot. Why should everyone have to go through this because one teammember doesn't want to wear the uniform? Men wear kilts for other occasions. Girls who wrestle or play football don't insist on different uniforms that cost the parents or schools additional money.....

Quote:
As I said, it doesn't matter because this is an international sport.
Sorry but...what does that have to do with anything? Parents and schools right now have very limited resources....

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-25-2009 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 PM

Like I said, I wouldn't let my kid do it. Its a moot point.
I wouldn't let my kid wear a skirt to play for a team that in the end, he will not be good enough to play internationally, and put up with a bunch of gender crap that he wouldn't have to do in almost any other country.
Yes, I have a kid that participates in sports.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I wouldn't let my kid do it. Its a moot point.
I wouldn't let my kid wear a skirt to play for a team that in the end, he will not be good enough to play internationally, and put up with a bunch of gender crap that he wouldn't have to do in almost any other country.
Yes, I have a kid that participates in sports.
So you YOU wouldn't let your kid wear a "skirt" but you'd put every other team member in a tough position instead? Wow.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So you YOU wouldn't let your kid wear a "skirt" but you'd put every other team member in a tough position instead? Wow.
I think your missing the part where I said, I wouldn't let him join to begin with.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I think your missing the part where I said, I wouldn't let him join to begin with.
Did miss that point since you said why not make everyone else change...sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting