U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2009, 07:25 PM

3,566 posts, read 2,996,487 times
It's ok. I won't let him join because it isn't worth it.
Not worth the battle to play on a team that is not going to be good enough to play internationally because the standards are lower and deal with a bunch of gender crap on top of that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 16,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Yes, it is a decision made by the team. I don't think I made myself clear. Since it is a decision that is made by the team, then the reason to not change it to shorts is?
It could be tradition, it could be cost, it could just be that it is a GIRL's field hockey team and the girl's are just happy with the uniform the way it is. Being asked to wear a kilt doesn't stop the boy playing as other boys have shown in the past. Again, why should everything be disrupted for one individual in a team sport? If the pre-existing team had wanted to wear shorts they could have already decided that; I am pretty sure you can find on most teams at least one girl who might prefer shorts to a skirt but still plays in the skirt anyway. Would this be an issue if a team wore bright pink shorts and a boy wanted to join the team? Where would it stop?

Quote:
Further, any gender that walks into a high school anything that is dominated by another gender is going to have a rough go. Frankly, that is a problem. That is a problem that should be corrected.
It's as true for girl's joining boy's teams as it is boys joining a girl's team. It isn't easy, but the opportunity is there, in PA anyway and other States too.

I would like to see more boys play field hockey and have their own team. I would be happy to see a true co-ed set up be arranged with rules based around the number of boys and girls that can be fielded at any one time or the size and weight criteria etc to have fairer competition especially at ages where physical differences become more pronounced. But I don't think that traditions based around girl's field hockey need to be uprooted to achieve this. Some states at least allow boys to join in which is more than is allowed by the majority of states even now.

Quote:
My point is, that this is an international sport like other sports. That is exactly where the focus should be at. So, my stance is no (to my son), your not going to join a team and wear a skirt to deal with rules that have changed to American standards anyway for a game that if you lived in almost any other country you would have the chance to really compete at and catch a whole lot less flack.
Compete on an all boys team! That is one key difference because the sport is more popular with boys elsewhere.

The US Women's team ranks 9th in the World. Allowing more boys into girl's field hockey only reduces opportunity for other girls.

Wouldn't it be better to find a way of growing the sport in the eyes of boys and encouraging their own teams anyway. It is the American male for the most part that has put field hockey in a box and limited the sport to girls in their eyes and that view continues today, kilts or no kilts.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM

113 posts, read 164,216 times
As a Brit now in the US I can empathise. I played Field Hockey for my School and County in my teens and it is a hard and rough game to play. Can I also say that 'Baseball' know in the UK as 'Rounders' is usually only played by girls and Soccer is usually only played by boys...It time 'ALL' sports were open to 'All' genders without bias !! I challenge you ! As the Mom, make it so number one !!!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:15 PM

10,080 posts, read 11,022,699 times
Quote:
It's ok. I won't let him join because it isn't worth it.
Not worth the battle to play on a team that is not going to be good enough to play internationally because the standards are lower and deal with a bunch of gender crap on top of that.
Why would you take the decision out of his hands?

Old 09-25-2009, 11:21 PM

10,040 posts, read 14,356,895 times
I agree with momma_bear. Why not let him make the choice? It's one thing if you're talking about a little kid (and even then I think I'd be inclined to let him make the ultimate decision), but an older kid knows the pros and cons of joining. I'm not sure I understand the "not good enough to play international" argument, either. What about loving a sport and wanting to play? Most kids don't participate in sports at the world-class competitive level, but we as a society don't usually tell them that just because they're not likely to ever join the NBA it's not worth shooting a few hoops or joining the basketball team.

As far as the skirt think, I'm not familiar with the exact appearance of the uniform, but could this be an issue of terminology? Call it a kilt and be done with it. Men can and do wear kilts.

In any case, if this was my son I'd let him make the choice, and would support his decision.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:36 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,463,549 times
agree about teh "not good enough to play international"

hate to break it to you, but there is a good chance he will not be good enough to play internationally at a top level regardless of where he plays and what he wears

kids play sports for the most part because they love to play the game and get enjoyment from it - if it can then turn into other opportunities, that's just the gravy

he should introduce the game to some of his buddies, see if any regular hockey or lacrosse players have an interest in messing around a couple weekends a month to learn how to play

once you get a few guys together, work with the school to make it a recognized school club that could be open to some limited school funding petitions

lacrosse is very popular where I grew up, but our school wasn't large enough to be able to afford to sport a team - a bunch of students pressed it through at the club level and it has now grown to a varsity game

Old 09-26-2009, 12:05 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,365,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
As a Brit now in the US I can empathise. I played Field Hockey for my School and County in my teens and it is a hard and rough game to play. Can I also say that 'Baseball' know in the UK as 'Rounders' is usually only played by girls and Soccer is usually only played by boys...It time 'ALL' sports were open to 'All' genders without bias !! I challenge you ! As the Mom, make it so number one !!!
Yep, I played Rugby from the age of 9 and, I think, as teenagers we would have enjoyed having a few girls in the scrum.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 PM

15 posts, read 38,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Yep, I played Rugby from the age of 9 and, I think, as teenagers we would have enjoyed having a few girls in the scrum.
LOL! That sounds funny or dirty!! What's a scrum?

Old 09-26-2009, 12:23 PM

10,559 posts, read 7,365,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watgirljl View Post
LOL! That sounds funny or dirty!! What's a scrum?
It is 16 guys, 8 on each side, pushing against each other to try to get the ball.

On a more serious note, which I was trying to allude to with my misplaced sense of humor, there comes a point in most sports where boys and girls should not be mixed.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:28 PM

15 posts, read 38,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
As far as the skirt think, I'm not familiar with the exact appearance of the uniform, but could this be an issue of terminology? Call it a kilt and be done with it. Men can and do wear kilts.

In any case, if this was my son I'd let him make the choice, and would support his decision.
Our school plays in something more like a plaid kilt (see the pic), but other teams play in skirts too, but usually wear compression shorts under them.

http://www.northallegheny.org/athletics/NA%20Sports%20Network/NASN%20Images17/fhhemp2.jpg (broken link)

I think it's great that a boy wants to take up field hockey. Whoever said about what a tough game it is is right, it's certainly not like this boy is joining because he thinks it is a sissy game, even though others might look at it that way. I think those that said it should be down to him to make the decision are right; I think the parents should probably explain it all and the possibility of being teased but if the boy still wants to play then let him. At the same time I don't think he should come in and upset whatever the team does right now. If they wear kilts or a skirt for matches then he should too. It's not like he's joining not knowing this.

I had to look around for this, but this is a pic of one of the boys who plays for Allen. Another boy plays in goal. As you can see, he wears the same skirt as his team mate, but it doesn't make him look girly. I'd be scared to be playing him to be honest.

[url=http://mcall.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=11031277&event=64789&CategoryID= 11470[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting