U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:58 PM

4,389 posts, read 9,811,407 times
Default I saved a childs life today

Another plea to please know the Heimlich Manuever.
I was at Whole Foods check out today when a woman began calling(begging) for help and 911. Her baby boy was collapsed in her arms and she was digging in his mouth with her fingers. Everyone froze. I rushed over and took the child who was like a limp noodle (he was about 2) and began to quickly push right below the middle of the rib cage. A small piece of cantelope popped out and he began to cry. The mom couldnt speak , she just mouthed the words "thank you". I picked up my groceries and gathered up my purse and its contents, (I guess I flung it when I ran to him) and walked out. The cool guy who bagged my things was crying.

My first reaction when I saw the child was, Its too late, but I tried anyway.
PLEASE remember this story and pray someone around your child would know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 03:32 PM

20,771 posts, read 18,014,956 times
Oh, nanannie, thank goodness you were there. Choking is such a scary thing. I remember one story of a little boy who choked to death on a grape in a supermarket.

I myself received the Heimlich when I was in high school and it probably saved my life. I was eating lunch with a friend and laughing when I inhaled a bite of my sandwich. I couldn't cough--if the person can cough, he or she will probably be fine with some thumps to the back. This was like a hand gripping my throat closed. It's the most frightening feeling. I guess I started turning colors. My friend shouted at me to get out of the car (we were sitting in her car eating), and she gave me the Heimlich. The bite of sandwich popped right out.

Thank you for what you did today.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:46 PM

Location: Boy, giraffes are selfish, just runnin’ around looking out for number one.
105 posts, read 238,582 times
Thank you for sharing this. Just the other day "Dr. Oz" showed the right way to do the Heimlich maneuver, I had my 17 yr. old son put down his video controller and watch it with me. We then practiced it a few times on each other. I'm going to show him your post.
Today you changed someones life and prevented what may have been a horrific outcome.

If I may speak for all parents, thank you!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM

16,822 posts, read 13,587,382 times
wow! Thank God you were there!

Old 09-25-2009, 04:15 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,975,357 times
Okay, Wiping the tears from my eyes now. I get a bit emotional at stories like these. You did an amazing thing today and I hope that you reward yourself well for it. Thank-God that you had the presense of mind to keep calm and do what needed to be done. It is so easy to freeze up.

I remember having to do the heimlich on my oldest when she was around a year old. Thank-God that the hospital made all new moms watch a video which showed us how to do the heimlich on children under 2yo. I also thank-God that I managed to have the presense of mind to keep my head clear and remembered what I had watched. I was the only one home at the time and if I would have paniced or not have watched that video I might have lost her. That was the most frieghtening thing in the world.

Thank-you for what you did!! May you be blessed a 1000 times over.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:24 PM

4,389 posts, read 9,811,407 times
Thank you all very much for your kind words.
I felt almost like I was on automatic pilot and someone else was at the controls.
I actually shouted before I got to her "Do the Hemlock remover,do the hemlock remover" jeeez
Maybe thats why everyone froze, they never heard of the hemlock remover.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,033,754 times
The hemlock remover -- now that is funny.

You are today a blessing from above. May you be blessed in return, tenfold.

I usually use the hind-lick maneuver. It gets their attention quick.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,459,993 times
Very nice!
I agree, we all should know this and basic CPR.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:06 PM

756 posts, read 1,126,449 times
What a gift! I hope reward finds you! Though knowing that you saved the life of a small child is probably reward in and of itself.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:28 PM

43,862 posts, read 26,316,351 times
It is always wonderful when God puts you in the right place in the right time with the right skills.
What a blessed day for you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting