Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:08 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,106,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
The dolls and accessories are available via catalog, on-line, or through American Girl stores, which are located in Dallas, Chicago, New York, LA, Atlanta, Boston, and Minneapolis. I took my daughter to the flagship store in Chicago for a girl's celebration weekend earlier this year. We had a wonderful time. It really was a fantastic experience. And, yes, I spent the twenty dollars to have her doll's hair styled.

I agree with maciesmom: the value one does or does not place on an item is individual. My kid could care less about having a Wii, but she loves her AG doll, so the price is worth it to me. Would she have gotten as much enjoyment out of another doll? I don't have any idea. What I do know is that she specifically asked for a Samantha doll, her grandmother was generous enough to buy it for her, and her father and I can afford to purchase the accessories. I don't understand why anyone would make such a big deal about this. Parents indulge their kids' whims all the time. Why the judgment?
I love that the doll had her hair styled!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,481,641 times
I agree, I don't understand the judgement. However, I do have to say... I have an issue with the American Girl dolls and their accessories and it is this:
They are suppose to teach the girls values, about growing up during the depression (or whatever era each doll represents) or about dealing with hardships.... why then,are they so expensive?
I just think that almost $100 for a doll is ridiculous. I think that paying $80 for a horse that I can get at Toys R Us for $20 is also ridiculous.
Our girls have the dolls, my oldest has Bitty baby and a doll and my youngest has Bitty baby...
(gifts from grandparents)... we are grateful to my parents for purchasing them as Xmas gifts, but I told them up front, they just aren't that intersted in them...
My oldest will sometimes pick hers up and change "her" clothes ,honestly, she does like the accessories more than the doll herself. She has a little tea set and a few other things that were given to her as gifts.
I kind of feel as though there is pressure for the girls to like them and I don't understand it.
When I tell people that my girls are really just not that intersted, they will gasp as though that is just unheard of!
My oldest was invited to an American Girl bday party last year, and I was wondering (although all of the girls had one) what would happen if you your daughter gets invited to one of these parties and they don't have an American girl doll? I would hope at this young age, it wouldn't matter to the other kids, but I wonder....

Today,when so many people are struggling, I think American Girl should reduce the cost of their items, if they really want to be able to exhibit to all children (girls) how ones would deal with hard times, but only those that can afford them, can take advantage of this?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,915,683 times
I was hoping to miss the whole American Girl craze, but my dd's friends started reading the books (they're in our school library) and now she wants one. If she still wants one in 6 months (her birthday) then she and I will spend some "girl time" at the local store.

If we couldn't afford it, I'd tell her no - flat out. But we can. I'm not going to deprive my child of something she wants just because others cannot have or do not want something. THAT is stupid.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,678,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I'm not going to deprive my child of something she wants just because others cannot have or do not want something. THAT is stupid.
You think it's deprivation when your daughter doesn't get what she wants? THAT is stupid.

Deprivation is not having enough to eat, or not having anything to wear, or being HOMELESS. It is NOT going without expensive dolls or toys or vacations or whatever else are luxuries.

What a way to set your child up for lofty high expectations in the future.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:00 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,237,397 times
^This is a good point.

In theory I CAN go out an buy several AG dolls....but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm obligated to do so. I'm sure they would love it but that sort of sets a precedent for future expectations. When they're 16 years old instead of buying a typical sh*tbox 'first car' they will want a Lexus with a big red bow on the hood...because up until then I've proven to them that I'm going to pay 5 times more on any given product....just because I can.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,834,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
WTF?! (PHOTO) $95 "Homeless" Doll (VIDEO)

I have never bought my daughter, who is 18 years old now, a doll or toy for that matter that was even $50!!!

What do you guys think of these dolls? I have never heard of these dolls. I had Barbie growing up
I truly don't care what other people spend on their kids toys.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:10 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,481,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I truly don't care what other people spend on their kids toys.

I truly don't care either... my girls have them... I just have an issue with how American Girl wants to promote teaching values,how people have or will have to struggle through hardships,etc... but yet, they make their products somewhat impossible for a middle -class family to justify spending the money on...
I think that for what they are suppose to stand for, they are contradicting themselves with their costs and their somewhat pretencious image with the American Girl shops & parties held at these shops.

I know that I won't spend the money anymore ,mainly because my girls are just not that interested in them, but also because I think it is a bit hypocritical.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,841,188 times
I started my two daughters (now 5 and 7) off the the Our Generation Dolls that cost between $20 and $30 at a certain big box store..... here is one my youngest has

My oldest has two of these dolls and my youngest has three.... they got them in a 2 year span....

This past Christmas my MIL won a REAL AG Doll in a contest and purchased a second one... the girls got them as gifts for Christmas..... they cannot tell the difference. The girls believe all of the dolls are AG Dolls and to be honest the REAL AG Dolls are not even thier fav dolls.... They each love one of the Our Generation Dolls better.... AND the Our Generation Dolls come with fabulous accessories at an affordable price..... Also, my oldest has a bday close to Christmas and between all the money she got for everything she wanted an AG Doll..... We explained she could order one like she got from her grandmother for $100 or buy three of the Our Generation Dolls..... her eyes bugged out of her head and asked why anyone would order a doll when they could have three at the store! Smart kid!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,915,683 times
You think it's deprivation when your daughter doesn't get what she wants? THAT is stupid.

Deprivation is not having enough to eat, or not having anything to wear, or being HOMELESS.

Verb 1. deprive - take away possessions from someone

THAT is the definition of deprive. I am also NOT going to DEPRIVE my child because others have trouble with reading comprehension.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM

34 posts, read 155,616 times
Default D-r-a-m-a-t-i-c

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Any moron parent who would even CONSIDER purchasing this "homeless" doll should take that $95 and their child and go to a soup kitchen, donate the money, and volunteer at the soup kitchen to feed homeless individuals and families.

What a complete disgrace!
We'll that's a little dramatic. My girls love their AG dolls. We work hard to be able to give our girls nice things from time to time. We also give to those that are less fortunate.

Last edited by TamiS; 02-16-2010 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting