Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 05:57 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,883,648 times

Advertisements

So when you are out at places such as restaurants or the mall, how do you deal with people that aren't watching/disciplining their children? I had a situation with this yesterday and would like examples of what other people say or do.

My situation was that a mans daughter looking to be about 7, was running full speed around a play area meant for children ages 0-10. When I said something he looked at me like I was a moron. Eventually she smacked in to my son (almost 3) when he wasn't looking and he said so surprised, "what happened?" when she appeared in front of him screaming hysterically. I just looked at the man and said, "Do you really want to know?" and walked away leaving his daughter to explain it to him with her mouth bleeding all over her shirt. I was still fuming when we got back to the car.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 09-26-2009 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 06:04 PM

10,171 posts, read 20,723,051 times
Unfortunately anything you say will be taken as an attack on their children and them. People who allow their kids to run wild in public are typically not the type who will care about what you have to say. They will look at it as a confrontation and try to spin it back on you. For me, it depends on where I am. If I'm in the mall, Target, Walmart, or a fast food joint I expect it and just blow it off. If I'm in a movie theater or quiet restaurant and someone's kid is wreaking havoc, I'll say something and depending on my mood, it may or may not be well received.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:07 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,600,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
So when you are out at places such as restaurants or the mall, how do you deal with people that aren't watching/disciplining their children? I had a situation with this yesterday and would like examples of what other people say or do.

My situation was that a mans daughter looking to be about 7, was running full speed around a play area meant for children ages 0-10. When I said something he looked at me like I was a moron. Eventually she smacked in to my son when he wasn't looking and he said so surprised, "what happened?" when she appeared in front of him screaming hysterically. I just looked at the man and said, "Do you really want to know?" and walked away leaving his daughter to explain it to him with her mouth bleeding all over her shirt. I was still fuming when we got back to the car.

How old is your son?

I remember those days in the "play area" made for children 0-10.
That is a big age diffrence, and I would not take my eyes off of my son, when he would enter one of these zones. I know how high energy some of the older kids can be, and no. You cannot count on the parents to always pay attention, so therefore, I would always keep an extra watchful eye.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:08 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,163,795 times
its not your stuff. protect yourself and your kid. his punishment is already set, he gets rotten kids.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
How old is your son?
Sorry, I meant to put that in. Thanks. He will be 3 in a month.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I'll say something and depending on my mood, it may or may not be well received.
As it happens I was in kind of a bad mood, which I'm sure didn't help. But he was just so unconcerned about it when I tried to ask him in the first place, to tell her to stop running. He more or less blew me off, which got me started. My ex wonders why I hesitate to become part of a playgroup. It's because the majority of people don't bother to watch their kids. They just sit and gossip while their kids run wild while I am out there playing referee by the slide.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:02 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,482,626 times
Well, if its a play area for 0-10, the girl should look where she's going but what's wrong with running in a "play area"? Putting a child under 3 in a play area for up to 10yr olds isn't maybe the best judgement imo.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Well, if its a play area for 0-10, the girl should look where she's going but what's wrong with running in a "play area"? Putting a child under 3 in a play area for up to 10yr olds isn't maybe the best judgement imo.
What is wrong with it is that there are a list of rules just by the doorway in pretty large lettering I might add. One of which is, no running or jumping allowed. Another is that all parents should stay with their children, but there are parents that just drop their kids off and go off shopping as well, leaving the parents that do stick around to watch their kids for them. The equipment in the play area at the mall is meant for small children. The slides, the things they climb on, all for little ones. Therefore, IMO, it's extremely irresponsible of parents to bring their kids in when they are clearly too big to even be there, not bother to tell them not to run, and not seem to care that they could pummel another child.

When my kids are running, I tell them to stop or slow down. When they are older, it will likely advance to a statement such as, "we're going in to play now for a while. Please behave and if you don't listen to mommy, we'll have to leave." If they don't listen, then we leave. That's it, no arguments, no whining, they know I mean what I say. Is it hard or complicated to do? No. So why can't people just do it?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:49 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,438,837 times
There will always be parents who don't watch what their kids do or think it's okay to let their kids act like animals in a public place with no regard or consideration for others. Best thing to do? Ignore it unless it directly affects you (and in the OPs case, it DID since this kid ran directly into her kid).

I despise when I go to a restaurant (or even a diner) and you have parents who let their kids run around, stand on the seats, scream, etc.... Do they not realize there are other people trying to enjoy a meal and are not interested in their kids' antics and definitely don't find it cute or endearing??? I've actually gotten up and left restaurants because of this...and made sure to tell the hostess before leaving (and VERY LOUDLY) that I refuse to sit and pay for a meal with all the insane behaviour going on due to parents who can't control their children.

My policy is, train your pets and children before taking them in public. Very simple.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,983,437 times
I will just go with what my mother used to say to us , a child that is taught to behave at home will behave away from home . so take it from there . Obviously this child has not been taught to behave at home either . I hope your little boy is okay .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting