U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 AM

519 posts, read 913,917 times

Advertisements

DNA testing used to be unavailable.

Then it became available but was expensive, took a long time and it was difficult to find a lab.

Now it is everywhere, cheap, very very quick and readily available.

I think with all these advancements on just the last 10 years soon there will be hardly any men raising kids that aren't theirs.

Any kind of doubt can be erased so quickly and easily - I even think that it will become a part of our culture to 'get tested' at birth.

I, personally, think it's a great thing and I am happy about this technology?

What do you think?

Do you think I'm right about testing becoming common-place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 06:21 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,277,771 times
Yes you're right.

In addition, people will begin screen for optional choices, such as sex, and appearance.

Seen the movie Gattaca? We're headed there.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 AM

2,868 posts, read 8,616,761 times
I love the possibility of testing your DNA to see if your at a higher risk for certain diseases...

Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,294,820 times
I don't know about all of this DNA testing.

It's fine if a father is unsure of whether or not a kid is his, but in order for him to request a test to find out he has to have some suspicions the kid is not his. So the marriage is probably already tetering on the edge of a break-up. But why mess with a marriage if things are doing fine with doing a test that really isn't necassary?

I don't mind using DNA testing to see if either parent is a carrier of genetic malformities before they concieve a child. Then they have all the info. up front and no what may be a possibility so they are not caught off gaurd if they do decide to have a child.

I do not believe in messing with DNA to make designer kids. When parents can start deciding hair color, eye color and the sex of a child, then we have taken God out of the equation. The world is already a messed up enough place because God has been removed in so many areas.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:04 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,152,472 times
I don't think DNA testing after birth (to check on parentage) is going to become much more common than it is now; there will always be some men who have doubts and will get it done, it will always have a place in bitter divorces, but I don't see it becoming routine at birth. There are still a lot of people who trust their spouse, and also some that jsut don't want to know.

I do think genetic testing for abnormalities will become even more routine than it is now, as it becomes easier to test for abnormalities early in pregnancy, and abortion becomes more acceptable in society. Already the nuchal ultrasound and blood test (for down's and trisomy), followed by amnio if needed, is routine in many doctor's offices, especially for moms-to-be over 35, and people find it strange if you tell them you refused it, as we have done (we just didn't see the point- we would not abort, and a possible positive would only make me worry through pregnancy).

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,101,366 times
I do think that DNA testing will become commonplace, but I think it will be for purposes like disease risk factors moreso than paternity.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 PM

519 posts, read 913,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I don't know about all of this DNA testing.

It's fine if a father is unsure of whether or not a kid is his, but in order for him to request a test to find out he has to have some suspicions the kid is not his. So the marriage is probably already tetering on the edge of a break-up. But why mess with a marriage if things are doing fine with doing a test that really isn't necassary?
It's because paternity and the TRUTH have nothing to do with a marriage.

If a woman has lied about something so important than I highly doubt that the marriage is 'doing fine'

I don't really see how genetic paternity testing has anything to do with gene manipulation, but I do think that perhaps in addition to paternity testing at birth that doctors will soon immediately begin to test for many genetic diseases at birth.

I love technology - even if it would be a bit scary to have these tests at birth and have to hear about your baby's genetic future right then and there. EEEKKKK!!!

We all have scary things in our genes.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 11,374 times
TRUTH is an integral part of a marriage. If a woman has no doubt as to the paternity of her child, and the father happens to be her husband, then she should see no shame in it being proven.

A husband doesn't need his wife's permission to get a paternity DNA test done on his children, unless he has no custody or visitation. He can simply get the test done without her knowledge, just like she can have another man father her children without her husband's knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting