Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM

203 posts, read 852,763 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your support. Yes, I am a nurse. Since this child is my niece and I see her as a family member, not as a professional, I'm not sure how the law applies. If I saw this same situation while working as a nurse I would call without hesitation. Family dynamics can be very powerful and scary. We do have a close family, however, this person has been accused of various things in the past (stealing, etc.), so his reputation is tarnished. I'm baffled as to why my family is defending him now. I suppose they are afraid of all that could take place if this turns out to be true, which I sincerely believe it will.
I'm going to find the courage to call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Thank you all for your support.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your support. Yes, I am a nurse. Since this child is my niece and I see her as a family member, not as a professional, I'm not sure how the law applies. If I saw this same situation while working as a nurse I would call without hesitation. Family dynamics can be very powerful and scary. We do have a close family, however, this person has been accused of various things in the past (stealing, etc.), so his reputation is tarnished. I'm baffled as to why my family is defending him now. I suppose they are afraid of all that could take place if this turns out to be true, which I sincerely believe it will.
If in your professional field you had a patient like this you would call without hesitation then you owe it to the one that is a family member to do the same. Think of the courage that little girl is going to have to have to want to wake up every day for the rest of her life if she continues to be abused. Knowing that every day she could be abused again by the same person that is supposed to be caring for her. Knowing that there are others that are aware but are turning their backs on her. You have to have the courage as it is what she is depending on now to be able to live her life as normal as possible and she doesn't even know it that you could be the one to save her from a life of torment and hell. The courage she is going to need to want to live. The courage she is going to have to have to want to be close to a man later in her life that WON'T abuse her. The courage she is going to have to have as a teenager or older and finally fighting back. The courage she is going to have to have to face everyone she knows and know they all know she was abused repeatedly and did nothing. You have to call on them. One phone call is all you have to do. She has a lifetime to deal w/ the fact she was sexually abused over and over.

Family dynamics are goofy. Don't let it stop you from saving that innocent child from living a life of hell.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 AM

430 posts, read 1,312,438 times
Write down what you have seen, heard and suspect. Give them as many specifics as you can.

Are you prepared to care for the child? Or is there a safe, secure and trusted family member who can have take care of her? More than likely CPS will remove from home. You will need to want to deal with that emotion to of being responsible for removal of child from parents.

Best interest of child far outways what family may or may not do.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:14 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
Family dynamics can be very powerful and scary. ...
This is so true, I can so relate, truly. Just do it. You'll be glad you did. And if your family is any kind of family worth having at all, they'll come around.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
are you in a position to "get kicked of your family".
if you are in a position of strength do strong things.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:41 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
Have as many details as possible written down in front of you and MAKE THAT CALL. How will you live with yourself if she is being abused and you stood by and did nothing?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default Answer is unanimous... call!

You've a legal and moral duty to call CPS. If you are scared, PM me the information and I will call for you!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:52 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Let us know how everything turns out...you're doing the right thing!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
No. Not yet. You know now, or at least have suspicions. The girl is cooperating with you by disclosing what is happening, and you can continue to gain her confidence. You know what to watch for, you know how to combat it yourself. Ylu and your neice can stand up for yourselves on this issue, and avoid a hugely complicated situation that you will never get out of, once you get in. If things evolve in a way that continues to present an unacceptable danger, then take extreme steps if necessary. But at this stage, nothing can be done to undo the past, and you have the power to control the future.

If you are not in a position to be able to constantly monitor this, I'd suggest going directly to the perpetrator, first, let him know that you are on to him, and let him decide if he wants to continue down this road or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting