Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Then I imagined my son in such pictures and all I could think of was only a pervert would put a little boy in such a picture.
Exactly....but if we do it to little girls it's somehow related to "poise"....ick....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I think they look good! I see it is clearly OK to gush over beefy football players that for me do nothing but I don't see what is so wrong in young girls developing poise beyond their years.
There is nothing wrong with poise, and I don't think that all pageant moms are nutburgers. I just am put off by images of little girls who are made to look like little women instead of girlish. Some of them wear evening gowns and wear adult hairstyles and makeup, so they look like miniature women. I see that in many of these photos. I've seen singing and dancing routines that are too grown-up for little girls. I don't understand it. I don't like it. Not all pageants. But some.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:33 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
I mean, look! At least two of those girls has a French manicure. One of those girls is no older than seven--I don't remember how old the other one was. Why do they have French manicures? That's just weird.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
They all look like a collector's doll collection like Annette Himstedt or other artists. This isn't about what the children want, it' about the what parent's the parents want. I know they're photoshopped, but alot of them are spray painting w/ a tanning color.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
Creep would be an understatement, those faces are frightening. They look like mini Stepford Wives.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Pageants for little girls just squick me out, but that's another thread. I just saw these photos and wanted to share them with the sensible parents of this forum. This ties in with the unconventional names thread, too--most of these names make us traditionalists roll our eyes.

Of one these girls is the most bizarre color. She's .... tangerine. She looks like an alien.

Photo Contest Winners (http://apostropher.com/cache/angelswithattitudes.htm - broken link)
I think I just threw up a little.

I'm sorry, but if you are putting makeup on an 18 month old, you should be required to take parenting classes (and hope your kid doesn't get taken away).

Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,478 times
My daughter watched that "tiaras" show with me once, and she gave me a hug. She thought those moms were scary, and that the kids were only loved by their mom's when they performed and won.

There is something very bizarre about wanting a five year old to look like a sophisticated 22 year old. Is is sexualizing children? I don't know. But it seems wierd.

Who would spend $1000's of dollars on clothes for a five year old?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Do you notice they all have the same face proportions, the same relative distance between eyes-nose-mouth? There was a documentary where they showed that the computer program squeezes or widens faces to fit the predetermined proportions (doll proportions). One of these pictures is a girl in the documentary who has naturally wider face, her eyes sit farther apart than the "ideal", so her face was "squeezed".

From an individual with slight variations of features (the very reason humans tell each other apart) she became a doll on the picture.
The children should not be getting beauty awards, the parents should be getting graphics arts awards.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
The photoshopping is so creepy. The Courtney Love "Doll Parts" song started going through my head.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Scary. I thought it was a bad joke at first - but this is for real, isn't it? Wow. Those poor kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting