U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2009, 02:32 AM

5,581 posts, read 8,292,894 times

Advertisements

Bizarre. Totally bizarre.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:55 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,580,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
so let's threaten them with guns? Is that your solution? These people are doing their jobs.
They are threatening us with guns.

Don't believe me?

Go back through that article, and every place you seen the word "law", or "regulation", think "men with guns".

Old 10-01-2009, 01:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,024,353 times
While I think this particular law is ridiculous and totally too strict I was looking at things from a different angle. This actually isn't bizarre at all, most states, if not all, have some sort of law and regulations regarding what constitutes licensing. In my state which is one of the more lenient (SC), you don't need to be licensed if you keep less than five kids. A parent watching few children after school even for money doesn't count.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it is obvious this law needs to be more clearly written and is an example of why we need good lawyers writing these things. My guess is that it wasn't intended to be this strict at all and whoever wrote the law didn't write it thoroughly enough (somehow I doubt that daycare centers have this massive pull). Most of us would agree that actual day care centers should be licensed whether or not they watch the kids in their home or not. So what is the acceptable limit to you?

Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM

10,805 posts, read 7,754,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I agree. I understand that when the govt agency receives a complaint, they are required to follow their policies and procedures and follow up. It is the person who complained who is at fault. I wonder if the person who complained is a licensed daycare provider in the neighborhood? I'm just trying to see what motivation he/she could have had.
I agree. But, from reading the article, it seems that the State also recognises that there is a problem with the law and is moving to change it.

How often does a well meaning law have unintended consequences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting