Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do your kids have more basic smarts than you had?
Yes, definitely smarter than I was 6 25.00%
Yes, a little 6 25.00%
Some of my kids yes, some no. 4 16.67%
No, not quite 5 20.83%
No, quite a bit less smart than I was. 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

I don't mean "Do they know more than you?", but rather, do your kids have more basic intelligence and ability to learn than you had at their age? Do they have what it takes to be better than you ever could have been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 07:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
It's hard to say because I am not sure what is meant by "better". According to my mom I was the smartest preschooler in the world, but I think she might have been biased. And, of course, I'm probably biased in thinking my 3 year old is pretty darm smart.
Also, it takes more than intelligence to be successful (if that is what was meant by "better". It also takes desire, strong work ethic, and the opportunity. At this point, I am not seeing those traits in my daughter, but I doubt anyone would with a 3 year old.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
My 4yo is definitely smarter than I was. Between 24mo and 27mo she learned all the letters of the alphabet. She did this because she kept bringing her foam letters for us to tell her what they were. We never pushed.
Recently in preschool she was asked what she wanted to be when she grew up. She had to think about it. When I asked her if she wanted to be an engineer like mom and dad she asked "what does it involve?". She had to analyze the information before making her decision.
I often forget she is only 4.
My son is not 2 yet so I do not know if he is smarter than me.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
In some ways yes, some ways no -- but many things have to do with the generation they're in. Kids almost surely are more sophisticated today than past generations were. It's hard to compare generations because attitudes have changed. For example in the past people seemed more motivated to finish college in 3 or 4 years, today many are more leisurely about that. Rules have changed, technology has changed.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:11 AM

20,322 posts, read 19,909,198 times
When it comes to decisions made in the teen and twenty years I sure as hell hope he's smarter than me.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I would have to say yes, they are smarter than me, if I am comparing their grades at their age, with what mine were at their age. My youngest son is in the 4th grade gifted/blended class, been there since 3rd. Teachers tested him twice- in 1st grade and 3rd- not gifted, but a high IQ. Been on honor roll since Kinder.

My oldest is in 9th grade. Gotten A's and B's since 4th too. Perhaps a C in math in between the report card periods, but by the time the report card rolled around, it was a B.

Throughout my elementary and high school years, I was AT BEST a "C" student. Probably had more "D's" and "E's" than "B's". Don't remember if I managed an "A".

HOWEVER. I do know that my own parents were never involved much in my education. Never really helped with homework. Never pushed me. Never checked to see what I had. When I went to college, and paid for it on my own, and graduated Magna C*m Laude, it made me wonder if I always had it in me, but no incentive to do so until I reached an adult age and had people depending on me (went to college after my first child).

So I am very involved in my children's education and push them. I still do know they are smarter than me, because things come easier to them when I had to struggle to pick it up....but I think I could have done so much better if things had worked out differently with my parents.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:24 AM

264 posts, read 819,339 times
No, mine are not at all smarter than me. I wish they were, because it would make their school years so much easier. I think they take after their father...bright, but not destined to do well in formal education.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:06 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
IDK - its kind of hard to tell. My two boys who are really really bright are not the most dedicated students. My daughter who is a great student is smart (she ranks pretty well in her class) but has to work a little. I was a teacher's dream student (kind of like my daughter is now) but it seems certain things came a lot easier to me than to her - I am having a hard time trying to figure out why math is so hard for her - my husband and I were both great at math and have people in our families with bachelors and graduate degrees in math and engineering. And this means I have to work really hard to be patient with her and try to figure out a way to help her learn it.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 AM

648 posts, read 3,089,331 times
i had more street smarts at a younger age than my son because i had very little supervision growing up. i was very over protective of my son when he was growing up so his "street smarts" came later for him. but i think he was definitely born smarter than me!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't mean "Do they know more than you?", but rather, do your kids have more basic intelligence and ability to learn than you had at their age? Do they have what it takes to be better than you ever could have been?
I have a brother who is more intelligent and has much more ability than I had. Unfortunately, he made some very bad choices in his life and will never reach his full potential.

My kids have a lot of potential as well, more or less than anyone else is somewhat irrelevant in determining their chances of 'success' in life. There are many other factors that come into play, as with my brother. Having 'what it takes' encompasses too much to be able to make any sort of predictions. Yes, they have what it takes regarding intelligence and ability...do they have what it takes to make good choices even in difficult circumstances, learn from their mistakes, find a healthy balance of personal, spiritual, family, work, social....all of that remains to be seen. As the parent of teenagers I've at least learned not to take anything for granted. I don't have a crystal ball, I don't think we'll know the answers until they have to get out there on their own. So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting