Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
He taught you?
No. But I have friends who were blessed enough to have him as a teacher at Garfield High. Pretty cool, huh?

I did have teachers that were from his mold and had his attitude towards students and the classroom. Which was encouraging and supportive. Not dismissive of the student and the parents.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. But I have friends who were blessed enough to have him as a teacher at Garfield High. Pretty cool, huh?
woo!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So you teach white, upper-class kids with (probably) college educated parents who sleep on clean sheets at night. Wonderful.

I'm not worried about them.

I'm worried about the poverty-stricken kid in the barrio who doesn't have access to a decent school library.
Yes, I do.

I think that all kids benefit from being in a college prep environment, where standard American English is taught, and it is assumed that all kids will go to college. I don't like to patronize anyone. Oh, and who needs libraries anymore? Everything is online, and nearly all schools in the US have internet and computers.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,921,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChic View Post
I arrived at the school this afternoon to find my 8 year old son with his hair in two ribboned pigtails. I asked him who had done that to him and he told me that his teacher had. My first reaction was that this had to be some weird punishment which got me mad enough but after taking the ribbons out of his hair I walked him back into the school to find the teacher and ask her what was going on. She calmly told me that this was all about gender awareness. They had done a class today on hair which involved discussing what the differences are between boys and girls hairstyles, hairlength, importance of hair etc. She had picked a girl and my son to use as examples because they both had similar length hair overall, albeit in different styles and she had wanted to illustrate differences and get the class to decide what made hair feminine/girlish vs masculine/boyish. This ended up with my son being given pigtails after lunch and the girl... well nothing really... a brushed off her face look held down with a little bit of hair creme. The teacher showed me a book that she had taken the lesson plan from which didn't exactly say put a boys hair in pigtails but did propose using two children as models to demonstrate differences. She said that if I wanted to complain further I would have to take it up with the principal, but she said that there was a whole set of classes based around this book coming down from the school district and that other topics would include things like clothing, reading material such as magazines, tv shows, jobs and so on.

I suppose she placated me a bit, but shouldn't the schools be getting permission to do things like this before just going ahead and using our kids for this kind of thing?
That's ridiculous. I would complain to the principal and the school district. It is not ok to humiliate a child to "teach" the rest of the class anything . . .horrible - maybe she could have done it to herself and another teacher or an aid, but not a kid.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Yes, I do.

I think that all kids benefit from being in a college prep environment, where standard American English is taught, and it is assumed that all kids will go to college. I don't like to patronize anyone.
Good. I'm not a big fan of being patronizing myself. But like it or not there is real poverty in this country. THOSE are the kids I want to see educated.

I care about the kid in Four Corners who has to carry his water in a bucket because the rez doesn't have a water system. Though they did (finally) get some internet thanks to a $63 million grant from the Federal government. Yay!

BTW - 15,000 BOOKS just got shipped to the Navajo Nation Library in Window Rock, AZ. St. Michael High got 69 boxes of books for their school library so *woo-hoo* maybe some young kid will get to read Edward Abbey, learn about other people and other places and grow up to make life better for his People.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-26-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
A teacher who doesn't understand the need for a library?! Yikes!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
[quote=DewDropInn;25351702]Good. I'm not a big fan of being patronizing myself. But like it or not there is real poverty in this country. THOSE are the kids I want to see educated.

QUOTE]

This is reprehensible, IMO. I'd like to see ALL children educated, not just a select few, based on their economic status - whether they are raised in an 'upper-class neighborhood' or a 'barrio', they ALL deserve an education.

It is disheartening when people show prejudice - pre judging people because they HAVE is just as reprehensible as pre judging those that have NOT.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:44 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
This is reprehensible, IMO. I'd like to see ALL children educated, not just a select few, based on their economic status - whether they are raised in an 'upper-class neighborhood' or a 'barrio', they ALL deserve an education.

It is disheartening when people show prejudice - pre judging people because they HAVE is just as reprehensible as pre judging those that have NOT.
Hahaha! Oh wait, you were serious? Talk about intentionally twisting the message of the post!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hahaha! Oh wait, you were serious? Talk about intentionally twisting the message of the post!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:36 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
A teacher who doesn't understand the need for a library?! Yikes!!!
We are heading into an era of a "virtual library". Are you a teacher???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting