Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd do a poll.

Now this question of only for people who have kids and those kids have a cell phone and an ipod or one or the other doesn't necessarily have to be both.

Do you let your kids take their iPod(or MP3 player)/cell phone to school? And what's the rules on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
High schooler's school allows cell phones to be on in class but must be on silent. Mp3 players can be taken to school but not used in class.

Primary (elementary) school - no phones & no mp3 player and no electronic games.

Our kids comply with those rules.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:43 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,346 times
Nope. Did I say No. And they ain't getting it. If they get one then it will make a fine gadget for casting into the ocean come surf fishing season.

Heck I don't have such a gadget and see no reason for a child to have one.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
When our kids were in middle school they had to keep their phones in their lockers. Our kids did bring them to school because they were involved in a lot of activities and needed to call for rides home, etc. Also, plans would change often, especially for DD and the high school golf team practices/matches. Now they are in high school and they can have them with them, can't use them in class but they can use them between classes and at lunch. It's very handy for me when I need our oldest to stop by the store and pick up milk, etc. on the way home. He also does a lot of our carpooling so as plans change with various activities it is nice to be able to contact him. Our high school encourages kids to bring cell phones and for parents to text kids or leave them a message on the cell phone during the day vs calling the office. It saves the office staff a lot of running around delivering messages.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:37 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Thought I'd do a poll.

Now this question of only for people who have kids and those kids have a cell phone and an ipod or one or the other doesn't necessarily have to be both.

Do you let your kids take their iPod(or MP3 player)/cell phone to school? And what's the rules on it?
My youngest is 10 and he has an inexpensive MP3 player. We don't let him take it to school. He does not have a cell phone. He goes to a charter school.

My older sons are 15, 13 and they have ipods and cell phones. They are allowed to have them in school. They are allowed to listen to music between classes and at lunch but not in class. They are allowed to have their phones out between classes and at lunch but not in class. They go to a private school. I teach at a public HS and our rules are similar.

We allow them to take them to school as they are always busy with activities and games and they can let us know what is going on and when/where to pick them up.

If the kids violate these rules the teachers are allowed to take the devices and have the parents pick them up. On buses most teachers/coaches are happy to let the kids listen to their ipods when going to/from field trips and games. The teachers/coaches also like that the kids have their phones on the buses.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

Absolutely no to the iPod in school.

I let her take her cell phone strictly because if there is an emergency, I want her to be able to reach me immediately. There are also times when she'll stay for after-school activities and she has to let me know she'll be taking the late bus and then she'll call me once she's on the bus so I know when to expect her home. (she uses the office phone to let me know she's staying after, but I still want her to have her cell just in case)

Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times
My 2 older boys have cell phones and Ipods the rules are very similar to those posted on here in our schools and they adhere to the rules. They have their phones so they can contact me if need be, if my child goes to the nurse but she determines they are not sick I like for them to call me, my kids don't tend to run temps when they are sick so taking their temperature to gauge their degree of sickness is not accurate for them. My oldest also plays sports so we use the phone for him to keep in touch.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:15 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
I allow my DD to take her ipod or cell phone to school but she knows if she is caught using them, and a teacher takes either one away, I will not be picking it up for her. The teacher can keep it as far as I'm concerned. She knows the rules and if she chooses to ignore those rules then I'm not going to help her get them back.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:29 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
I was always allowed to.
I got a cell phone Christmas of freshman year.
And I got an iPod in August of freshman year.

I used them both at school. Mostly during lunch but sometimes would text during class. I got it taken away a few times but never to the point where my mom had to come pick it up. I went to two different high schools and the second school told me if I got it taken away again then they were going to make me turn it in in the morning and I could pick it up after school everyday but that never happened.

My brother is 15 and has an iPod and a cell phone. I don't think he texts much. Maybe to my mom if he needs to but he has told me he uses his iPod a lot.
He runs the headphones up his sleeves and leans his head up against his hand and has the headphone in his ear. He saved up and bought an iPod touch and he sits in class and watches movies on it. *shakes head*
He told me he got caught the other day but my mom didn't have to go pick it up.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Our district has taken a different stand on this than in the past and different from most. They are actually embracing and incorporating technology into some of their curriculum and in their communication.

For instance, coaches, especially at the high school level, often text the athletes regarding times for practices and such. The high schools and middle schools have the kids use their phones for certain projects where they can text in a vote in a poll and very quickly the class gets back the results or for research if they have internet capability.
They've also taken off the restriction of accessing facebook(and myspace I think) on school computers and some teachers now have class pages where they all can find out class information and post questions etc.

As recent as last year they were still taking up cell phones that rang while the kids were in class and they'd have to pay a fine to get them back. Times are changing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting