U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times

Advertisements

What are some ways to get better faster?

I, as you all know, had the camping trip this weekend. I woke up this morning sick as ever. Fever(or so it felt), headache, congested. I feel sick. I can tell its a cold.

I have a graveyard shift on the 9th(Friday) and I need to get better by then. I do not want to miss this. One time I took Tylenol day and night for colds for 3 whole days and was better in that 3 days.

Do you have any home remedies I could try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,653,671 times
Plenty of rest.

Plenty of fluids.

Plenty of chicken noodle soup (made with the bones and stewed for hours)

Take at LEAST 25000IU of vitamin D for up to 7 days.

probiotics!!!!!!!!!

News Blog: Vitamin D deficiency linked to more colds and flu

Researchers see link between vitamin D, flu immunity - JSOnline

Vitamin D Council Publications

Vitamin D Newsletter March 2009 | All Things Vitamin D

And LET YOUR FEVER BE!!!!!!!!! Taking tylenol does NOTHING to help you get better quicker. In fact it can make you sicker longer. Your body needs a fever to fight infection. It's the bodies best defense.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,201,231 times
I like to take Zicam when I have a cold, it usullay clears up my colds a lot quicker. If I do not have any on hand I take Zinc and Echinacia (sp?). If you take zinc be sure to take in on a full stomach. I usually do double dose twice a day for the first couple of days and then down to single dose twice a day of the zinc and echinacia. For the Zicam I follow the instructions.

I can't always get the rest that I need when I am sick and I can't afford to be really sick for any length of time. When I get a cold and I do not get on Zicam or the zinc and echinacia right away it can last quite awhile before I can get better. Spring colds especially are the worst for me and I have been sick up to a month with one. So now I try and keep a good supply of Zicam, zinc and echinacia on hand just in case.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
Obviously plenty of rest and fluids....but we also do Tylenol Severe Cold liquid. They come in daytime and nightime. Tastes awful but at least helps you feel better while you are pushing the fluids.....You can supplement with Ibuprofen in between the Tylenol doses if you are really feeling awful....we just use that to get throught the worst of it and so you can actually sleep. If you feel lousy and can't sleep it's hard to get the "rest" part of recuperating....

Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,453,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What are some ways to get better faster?

I, as you all know, had the camping trip this weekend. I woke up this morning sick as ever. Fever(or so it felt), headache, congested. I feel sick. I can tell its a cold.

I have a graveyard shift on the 9th(Friday) and I need to get better by then. I do not want to miss this. One time I took Tylenol day and night for colds for 3 whole days and was better in that 3 days.

Do you have any home remedies I could try?
I very rarely get sick. But if/when I do, I take a shot of NyQuil before going to bed. Puts me down soundly to sleep.

Basically, I've found that getting really good rest is about as good as anything for me.

I've also taken Tylenol PM a time or two. Basically the same result.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Drink a lot of fluids, do not take any medication, and go to bed. Pile on the blankets and sleep. A low-level fever will cook off that bug ... that's what fever's for. If you're not burning up, just let your body work. If you wake up sweaty, that's good. Make sure you eat something so your furnace has fuel, and make sure you get plenty to drink. Chicken soup is great, preferable if it's homemade like Miasmom says.

Last edited by JustJulia; 10-05-2009 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: Sorry, got the wrong mom!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
Also, spicy food helps to clear your head. We like the hot and sour soup from the local Chinese place.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 AM

24,469 posts, read 28,723,874 times
nothing can really help you get over a virus any quicker. Rest and drink lots of water.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 4,709,618 times
I always take zinc based remedies/lozenges to ward off sickness. And generic Airborne.

At the first sign of "maybe I'm getting sick" - I start taking Airborne & lozenges. I usually don't get past the first stage of "maybe" & if I do, the second stage is usually mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting