Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 AM

97 posts, read 209,637 times

Advertisements

Any mothers out there who breastfeed and took antidepressants? Who are taking them now, but also more for the women who took them in the past, while breastfeeding. Can you mothers discuss this. I would like your thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:24 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,186,666 times
This probably isn't the best forum for this discussion. Have you tried the forums at La Leche League's web site, or kellymom.com? Also, you can contact a local la leche league leader for information about nursing and antidepressants--they are a great resource.

good luck to you.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,642,367 times
Try http://www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/ or for a locally forum try TriangleMommies.com -- A Mommies Network Community

kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting and Dr. Hale's book are the best resources for this information

Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 PM

93 posts, read 215,684 times
Why in the world is this not "the best forum for this discussion"? People ask the craziest questions on this site, but I've never heard that one before. I consider this forum to be a resource, like many other sites - certainly the ones mentioned - but I hardly think it is an unreasonable question to ask from someone looking to gather as much personal experiences as possible. Good for her!

It's a very valid question - but I suppose because it deals with two societally taboo topics - both of which are completely and thoroughly natural - it makes some people feel uncomfortable.

I wish I had a good answer for you - a friend of mine who was breastfeeding and was diagnosed with PP depression was prescribed Wellbutrin, and she was very happy with it. I've noticed that's a pretty common one prescribed during pregnancy/post-partum - I believe it's considered a Class B drug, but don't quote me on that.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,221,232 times
IMO if you can try to not take them while breastfeeding, that would be best. If it means you being a threat to yourself or others and not being able to function, that is another story.

Did your perscribing doctor explain to you what class drug it is? Most likely, if he or she knew you were breastfeeding, they chose one which is ok to take while nursing.

Keep in mind that close to all drugs fall under the B C or D catagory and NOT the A which is DEFINITELY safe to take while nursing/pregnant. So there are always going to be unknown risks to your baby/fetus when you take a OTC, perscription drug, homeopathic or herbal supplement. You have to weigh the pros and cons, benifits vs risks.

Try this site

Links, Meds and Breastfeeding, NCBDDD, CDC

Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 PM

304 posts, read 1,323,305 times
I took anti depressant all through my pregnancy and 8 months of breastfeeding my son with no known problems. I would agree that if you can go without them it is best, but I am not sure that any person would just want to take antidepressants just to take them. Don't fool yourself into thinking it is completely safe, there are no tests on long-term effects to the child of a mother taking antidepressants during pregnancy or breastfeeding. The other side of the coin is that A.D.s serve a purpose, and at the time that I was taking them, there was no way I could have functioned without them.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:32 PM

776 posts, read 1,272,505 times
Indeed an odd topic for this forum. But I have to say, boob73, you have quite an appropriate name for the discussion of breastfeeding. LOL

Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,191 times
Some medicines are more appropriate than others. I would refer to Dr. Hale's Book: Medications & Mothers' Milk. Also, Kellymom is a good resource:

kellymom.com :: Using Antidepressants in Breastfeeding Mothers
kellymom.com :: Antidepressants and Breastfeeding: References

Old 10-07-2009, 05:17 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,642,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaiziegrace View Post
Why in the world is this not "the best forum for this discussion"?
It was originally posted in the Raleigh forum

Old 10-13-2009, 09:29 AM

97 posts, read 209,637 times
Where are all the opinions? Why is no one really touching this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting