U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,172,785 times

Advertisements

Many children suffer their parents. That's why you have so may dropping out of school and getting into trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 03:14 PM

967 posts, read 1,246,519 times
My sister who chose not to abort at age 32 regrets having her son. He is now 25, refused to graduate from high school and can't get a decent job, sits around drinking beer and playing video games when he is home from his 20 hr a week warehouse job. She is afraid that he will become homeless so she helps him with his rent.

As a teen he crashed 2 cars and hung around with kids who kept getting arrested for vandalism. How he avoided it we'll never know. He also has been known to steal from her. All of her good jewelry is gone and he "has no idea" what happened to it.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM

296 posts, read 691,325 times
Yes, I regret having children. I envy people without them.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM

13,819 posts, read 23,462,537 times
Karci??? This is your mom. Yes, when I had you in January, 1986...I just knew I made a big mistake.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,619,665 times
I enjoyed my kids when they were young but I was young too so I played with them and hung around with them like I was one of the kids. At the same time, I resented being so tied down and having money be tight. Even though they were my choice, I still felt that way. I was always very responsible and saw they had good educations, self-esteem, learned good choices, were disciplined and motivated so they grew up to be extremely well adjusted, successful people. Now that they are grown and are parents themselves, I have mixed feelings about would I do it all over again because they seldom come around and are full of themselves and their current lives. They try to be very considerate of me but I'd rather I was now someone absolutely essential in their lives instead of the person that raised them years ago. I guess this is the natural evolution of things and although my life was full there for a time, I'm just a little resentful of the price I paid so the jury is still out on if I would do it again.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:14 PM

10,485 posts, read 21,503,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
I enjoyed my kids when they were young but I was young too so I played with them and hung around with them like I was one of the kids. At the same time, I resented being so tied down and having money be tight. Even though they were my choice, I still felt that way. I was always very responsible and saw they had good educations, self-esteem, learned good choices, were disciplined and motivated so they grew up to be extremely well adjusted, successful people. Now that they are grown and are parents themselves, I have mixed feelings about would I do it all over again because they seldom come around and are full of themselves and their current lives. They try to be very considerate of me but I'd rather I was now someone absolutely essential in their lives instead of the person that raised them years ago. I guess this is the natural evolution of things and although my life was full there for a time, I'm just a little resentful of the price I paid so the jury is still out on if I would do it again.
I am sorry some of you feel this way. I was always extremely close, to my mother at least. My parents were married for 25 years, until my dad passed away unexpectantly. I took care of my mom, and was fully there for her after that. She even tried to kill herself, and luckily I got there in time to stop it. I remember her telling me she would have never made it through the loss of my dad if it was not for me.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:47 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,077,484 times
I didn't find a man that I wanted to have children with until I was in my thirties.
We married when I was 31 and he was 36. We had both done everything we wanted to do i.e. travelled, built careers, purchased homes, dated, bought ourselves toys, got financially secure, etc. before we settled down. We both wanted children and had a devastating miscarriage. We regrouped and decided to keep trying. We got lucky and had a son then two years later a daughter.

They are now almost grown and I can honestly say being a parent is one of the hardest jobs I've ever loved. Each stage had its own challenges and charms, but I think it just keeps getting better. I cannot imagine my life without my children and my DH feels the same way. Sending our son off to college this year was difficult and there's still a void in our home from his absence. I guess I'd say that if you're willing to make a lifetime commitment to have a piece of your heart walk around outside your body then parenthood is great. If you want to put yourself first then remain childless.
Best wishes!

Old 10-07-2009, 04:49 PM

13,819 posts, read 23,462,537 times
ask Jon Gosselin.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:58 PM

6 posts, read 15,496 times
Not for one second. I'm a single mother of three boys, and although it is without a doubt probably the hardest thing ever, it is also the most rewarding. My boys are everything to me, and I can't even remember my life without them (nor do I want to). I have always loved children and knew that I would be a mother though. I worked with children long before I had any of my own. Everyone is different. I would suggest that you get a job working with/around children before you have any. It definitely is not the same, but at least you can get an idea of what it's like.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM

6 posts, read 15,496 times
Sunnydee, I totally agree with what you said about it being the "hardest job you ever loved" and also "if you're willing to make a lifetime commitment to have a piece of your heart walk around outside your body then parenthood is great". Sometimes the love that I have for my boys is actually painful. When you love someone to that degree, (which is hard to understand if you don't have children) with it comes a tremendous amount of worry, considering the world that we live in today. I constantly fear for my children's safety, happiness, health, and overall well-being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting