U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 PM

166 posts, read 212,850 times

Advertisements

lol to you too- I was responding to redhead who said people will regret not having kids.

lol ha ha I for one don't have to prove anything.I was answering the forum question which was do women without kids regret it when they get older.Was nice to see so many other childfree women out there,happy with their lives. No,don't want em.Don't need to get a life,have a very good one,thanks.

Last edited by bev osborn; 08-01-2013 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: omitted something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM

76 posts, read 64,490 times
I think a lot of people regret having kids, especially men. You lose count of the amount of guys who say they would give anything to have their single life back. They don't say it specifically but you know they are referring to their kids as well. Freedom is something very hard to give up on.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 AM

47,578 posts, read 55,147,231 times
Never -- no regrets.

There might be moments where I think I should have stuck with horses or dogs, or even cats but overall no -- no regrets.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM

1,270 posts, read 2,653,755 times
No but now that I have kids I could also see being happy without them. Sometimes I fantasize where hubby and I could simply travel as much as we want and spoil out nieces and nephews.

When I didn't have kids, I thought I couldn't be happy without them.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM

101 posts, read 115,163 times
If parents thought about it I think deep down they know their lives would have been better without kids. They would never admit it, though.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 PM

42,183 posts, read 39,075,289 times
No my child made it better. I ♥ him.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:01 PM

40 posts, read 30,068 times
I never wanted kids...until my wife got pregnant.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:12 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,178,586 times
I was nervous about having kids, because, being a bit of a Type A, I was afraid I wouldn't be the 'best' mother, and I had NO experience with babies -- was very nervous about screwing it up! My husband and I waited until we were in our early 30's to have kids -- we had been married for six years, I already had the high-pressure (and high-paying) job, he was we had had a chance to travel to several interesting places in the world, and I looooved the Porsche my husband had bought me for my 30th birthday. :-) Then my son was born, and my entire life turned upside down, and as far as I'm concerned, it was magic. Traded cars with my husband and drove the Accord (car seat couldn't fit in the Porsche), quit my 70+ hour a week job and became a stay-at-home mom. Yeah, I took a lot of heat for that in the 80's (like I was somehow letting down the women's movement, or something), but what people forgot was that the women's movement was created to give women a choice, not dictate a life's work. I chose to stay home. Two years later, we added our daughter, and the Porsche became a minivan. Oh, well! :-)

I loved being a mother, and while we had to rearrange our lives to accommodate the one salary for a few years, I feel that being a mom was one of best things I've done with my life. My husband started his own consulting business soon after our daughter was born -- he worked from home and loved being a part of their everyday life. Were there challenges? Well, duh, yes, they are human beings and both had bumps along the roads, but my kids grew up to be great young people and are now wonderful young adults -- never a problem with drugs, drinking or pregnancies, they did extremely well in school and earned full academic rides to top 20 universities, and have found jobs that allow them to be independent young adults. They're finished with childhood, and I've been moving from "parent" to "life coach" over the last few years. I started my own business when the youngest one started school, and as they got older and less dependent, I was able to move the business from home to the outside, so that when they started college, I wasn't left wringing my hands wondering what to do with my life. :-)

No, absolutely, I have never regretted having children. They filled a part of my heart I didn't even know was empty. I consider myself blessed beyond measure.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,665,053 times
I don't regret having kids but I do wish I had done more before they were born - more independent travel, that sort of thing. Traveling the world was always a dream of mine, and I had done it a little bit, but now it's really not possible until much later in life as one of my children has a disability and isn't able to do so. Financially/career-wise, I'm glad I was younger when I had them (25/27) as I was already settled into a decent job and can go back by 30.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:23 AM

36,008 posts, read 37,908,928 times
I think people who regret having kids knew before they were born they would not be good parents and it was a self fulfilling prophecy.

People who regret having kids did not fully comprehend or even slightly comprehend the necessary changes having kids would make.

Most were too young when they had kids and feel resentful towards their kids for what they perceive as their less than satisfactory lives.

They had kids for the wrong reasons ie. to save a marriage or to have a marriage in the first place. People like this feel trapped.

I am very grateful for my 4 kids (three of whom are adopted). It took a great deal of effort and money and time for us to have all 4. none were accidents or an inconvenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting