Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,187,103 times

Advertisements

When naming your child...do this:

Go stand at your back door and yell the entire name, first middle and last as if they were in SERIOUS trouble at the top of your lungs and see how easy it rolls off your tongue.

If it doesn't sound right, don't use it.

Also check to see what the initials look like. For example, someone who's last name is Graham do not want to name their child Pamela Irene. Their initials spell PIG. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 11:04 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
I was looking through a website that has Gaelic names.

Layne

Aidan (the little firey one)

Madison

Fiona

Leah

Old 07-15-2007, 07:19 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I was looking through a website that has Gaelic names.

Layne

Aidan (the little firey one)

Madison

Fiona

Leah
Be careful of the claims of Gaelic names- many are not really Gaelic (or Irish), but for some reason people twist them into being Gaelic! (Sorry- I'm a self-confessed name freak!)

Layne either comes from Elaine (which is a variant of Helen- Greek "light") or Lane (English surname)

Madison- English- "son of Maude" (Maude being a German variant of Mathilda)

Leah is a Hebrew name, likely meaning "weary"

Old 07-16-2007, 05:01 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I agree with the gaelic names.

Leah is not a gaelic name, neither is madison.

Now ; maeve, Fiona, Aisling, Sinead, Niamh ; they are all gaelic names.

d

Old 07-16-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I agree with the gaelic names.

Leah is not a gaelic name, neither is madison.

Now ; maeve, Fiona, Aisling, Sinead, Niamh ; they are all gaelic names.

d
Yes! I prefer Aislinn to Aisling, but great names! Now, if we could just get the American parents to actually use the correct pronounciations! (Ace-lynn and even Kate-lynn bug the crap out of me. You can imagine the looks I get when I try to tell them than Caitlin is not supposed to be Kate-lynn, but Coit-leen- thank goodness for the Geico commercial that pronounces it correctly!). I can't understand many of the parents that want to use a Gaelic name to honor their Irish heritage, and then dump all over it by going to some horrible, cutesy way of saying it. If you are going to use an Irish name, why not pronounce it the right way?

If you ever want honest opinions on your baby names (and I mean brutally honest!), there's a website called bidbadbabynames.net that's a hoot. Beware, though, you may need a tough skin if you ask for opinions, because they will give them without any kid gloves.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,855 times
Default Siobhan?!

Is there a website that gives the correct pronunciation (& spelling) for Gaelic names? I would love to stick to my Irish roots but wouldn't want to find out later that I've been mispronouncing (or misspelling) the name all along.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
Is there a website that gives the correct pronunciation (& spelling) for Gaelic names? I would love to stick to my Irish roots but wouldn't want to find out later that I've been mispronouncing (or misspelling) the name all along.
Here are some of the more popular ones (links to others from the drop-down menus across the top. I like this website, but it is poorly organized..)

Irish Baby Boy Names A - C

Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,513 times
So, what name was chosen after all? its the middle of July now.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM

578 posts, read 2,529,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Yes! I prefer Aislinn to Aisling, but great names! Now, if we could just get the American parents to actually use the correct pronounciations! (Ace-lynn and even Kate-lynn bug the crap out of me. You can imagine the looks I get when I try to tell them than Caitlin is not supposed to be Kate-lynn, but Coit-leen- thank goodness for the Geico commercial that pronounces it correctly!). I can't understand many of the parents that want to use a Gaelic name to honor their Irish heritage, and then dump all over it by going to some horrible, cutesy way of saying it. If you are going to use an Irish name, why not pronounce it the right way?

If you ever want honest opinions on your baby names (and I mean brutally honest!), there's a website called bidbadbabynames.net that's a hoot. Beware, though, you may need a tough skin if you ask for opinions, because they will give them without any kid gloves.
WHen "Ryan's Hope" (ABC Soap) on yrs. ago; I never understood the daughter's name spelling SIOBHAN...
How on earth do they get the pronounciation of SHA-VAHN outta that one?
like SKY-LER, Schuyler, etc. ??? wha?

Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Basic phonetics to me (but as I said above, name nerd!)- "si" in gaelic is "sh"/"shi", and "bh" is as a "v" sounds, so Siobhan is sha-von to me, though many people want to pronounce it (incorrectly) as an English-based name and would think it to be see-o-ban. If you don't speak the languages, it's hard to understand how they work as far as names go, and most people (Americans) butcher foriegn names to such a degree that they no longer come close to the original (and correct, IMO) name usage. "Schuyler" is Dutch, and is the basis for the current Skyler/Skylar/Skyla trend- all of the more "normal" (English-intuitive) spellings derive from Schuyler, not the other way around- it is not the weirdly spelled variation, but the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting