Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I'm surprised it took 5 pages before someone pointed this out. I wouldn't have flipped a kid off, but I probably wouldn't have listened to their request to move either.

As for kids writing down license plate numbers and giving them to authorities or the police or whatever, that is just as stupid.

As for the 'officer on duty' going and having a 'talk' with the parent, if nothing illegal was done or enforceable, then it could be open for a case of police harassment.
And what online college diploma mill did you get your law degree from?

Last edited by Houston3; 10-11-2009 at 07:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
I'm surprised it took 5 pages before someone pointed this out. I wouldn't have flipped a kid off, but I probably wouldn't have listened to their request to move either.

As for kids writing down license plate numbers and giving them to authorities or the police or whatever, that is just as stupid.

As for the 'officer on duty' going and having a 'talk' with the parent, if nothing illegal was done or enforceable, then it could be open for a case of police harassment.
Here is a lil help.

http://docs.sandiego.gov/municode/Mu...Division00.pdf

Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have flipped a kid off, but I probably wouldn't have listened to their request to move either.

Good point. I'd never flip off a kid, but I'm not sure I'd be taking directions from a 9 year old (or any kid for that matter). And the kids are writing down license plates? This whole situation is just weird. Exactly what is the cop doing? Or the ADULTS? Again, not that your kid deserved it, but I do think that there is a real risk that when you try to act like an adult, you risk being exposed to adult behavior---good and bad. I don't care what kind of "privilege" the school is trying to call it---my kid wouldn't be out there.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Default The guy was completely out of line, but...

At our elementary, only adults act as crossing guards or perform traffic control duties, which I think is appropriate, since children are not yet of driving age and ignorant of traffic laws. The jobs are assigned to rotating parent volunteers. In fact, one of the traffic duty positions at the driveway entry is a paid position. Kids never oversee adults, but they may volunteer to help outside the classroom in the library or cafeteria as fifth graders. I think the school should reconsider using children for traffic duty.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I just got the call from school that my daughter doing safety patrol had to ask a car to move who was in the bus lanes and the loser flipped her off. What would you do? I'm so hot right now I'm having my wife pick up the kids later today as I don't think I can control myself. They turned the plate number over to the Police Officer on duty for the school and I hope he gets some sort of fine? Isn't there any sort of law against the type of abuse toward children?Who flips off a nine year old?
Only a total loser would flip off a child of 9 years. Calling the police and reporting his license plate was the right thing to do. I guess I have to ask..what is a loser like this doing picking up kids? Why does he even deserve to have kids? If he did this to a child who is not his own, then what must he do to his own kids?? Could it have been perhaps an older brother picking up siblings? Doesn't excuse the behavior but being that it was a fairly childish gesture, it might be that it was a teen picking up siblings. Bad behavior any way you cut it.

Perhaps this school needs to have a teacher monitor the crosswalk and the front of the school?? Why is a 9 year old out there monitoring the other kids crossing? Where was the crossing guard?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Only a total loser would flip off a child of 9 years. Calling the police and reporting his license plate was the right thing to do. I guess I have to ask..what is a loser like this doing picking up kids? Why does he even deserve to have kids? If he did this to a child who is not his own, then what must he do to his own kids?? Could it have been perhaps an older brother picking up siblings? Doesn't excuse the behavior but being that it was a fairly childish gesture, it might be that it was a teen picking up siblings. Bad behavior any way you cut it.

Perhaps this school needs to have a teacher monitor the crosswalk and the front of the school?? Why is a 9 year old out there monitoring the other kids crossing? Where was the crossing guard?
There are two crossings one in front and one in back but we only have one Police Officer so he has to pick where he's going to be. There is always a staff member watching the other side acting as the head crossing guard. The kids have big long flags that they hold out, make sure all cars are stopped then blow a whistle to signal the other guards it's safe to cross. It's not even close to being a dangerous environment. No kids are actually in the street except for the guards that cross the frist time to set up on the other side.

And no it was the Father. I know who it is for sure after they described the van. When the Mom picks up she's always there early, the few times this guy has picked up he's always late and too lazy to park in legal parking and walk to pick up his 2 kids. I've seen him park in the bus zone, the red zone and one day he even blocked out a woman's driveway. That woman was really bent about it and she had every right to be.
I just find it puzzling that a few people think laws are for everyone else but them. Note - I talked to the Officer and he did write him up for parking in the bus zone. That makes my day That is one expensive ticket.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:51 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
This is what concerns me: the man in the car obviously has a problem controlling his anger, and it's likely he knows who reported him to the officer. What if he now takes out his frustration with the ticket on your daughter or another child? I think the school really needs to think about the potential consequences of putting children in a position of directing adults. Most grown-ups are rational, kind human beings, but why take a chance with the one who isn't where a child is concerned?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Well, I'll say it.... I know where that "grown up man" needs that finger jammed....

Old 10-11-2009, 04:23 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
This is what concerns me: the man in the car obviously has a problem controlling his anger, and it's likely he knows who reported him to the officer. What if he now takes out his frustration with the ticket on your daughter or another child? I think the school really needs to think about the potential consequences of putting children in a position of directing adults. Most grown-ups are rational, kind human beings, but why take a chance with the one who isn't where a child is concerned?

This.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I see your point here and it's funny but I mentioned that to the Officer too. I told him if he wants the kids writing down numbers and handing them off to him fine but not to ask the kids to ask Adults to move when Illegally parked. I also mentioned maybe he should be out of his car walking the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting