Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 04:18 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Does it seem odd, all these people getting agressive about the wrong agressive behaviour of someone.

What is that teaching our kids.

Something seems wrong here.

As I read it, an adult in a car was in the bus lane.
The child who was helping, asked the driver to move on,
The driver yelled or swore or something,
The driver did actually move on.
The kid reported the car number plate to the cop (sounds like an appropriate thing to do)
The kid was a bit distraught and talked about the incident with mom.
Mom went ballistic (like the guy in the car)
Kid learns - when someone goes ballistic, then the adult thing to do is go balistic too.
Fast forward to when the kid is 16
Out on the town. had a drink or two.
someone says something to them they say a few words back.
A few fists maybe a knife and gun and someone is really hurt.

So I say all you lot calm down. Look at your selves. Look at the message you are giving.

I think the mom should have simply given her daughter a hug for dealing with the situation and reporting the details.
Pretty close here except Mom was completely cool about it and I'm sure gave her BIG hug. I got the call at work so my child didn't see me get angry (and she really has never seen me get really angry). That's why I had my wife go back down to the school after the incident and not me. I don't want my kids to think any of that type of behavior is ok. As I stated I just couldn't believe some man I've walked by, said hi to almost daily could pull something like that to one of my kids. What a Neanderthal. My kiddo will be getting a great big hug from me tonight for doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 04:27 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Okay, I see... so it was/is the Dad that posted here about being unable to control himself.

Well, in that case, my opinion changes...

The Dad/OP has anger issues and serious overreacted to hearing a third hand account of a 3 second moment of his daughter's life.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Okay, I see... so it was/is the Dad that posted here about being unable to control himself.

Well, in that case, my opinion changes...

The Dad/OP has anger issues and serious overreacted to hearing a third hand account of a 3 second moment of his daughter's life.
Yes, that would be me, thanks for the armchair quarterbacking. I will say this, some of you are making me feel much better about where I live as flipping off children isn't normal around here. For that I give you a

Interesting World we are leaving for our kids. I never ever will accept someone treating my kids with that kind of disrespect and abuse.

And this isn't about 3 seconds, we are going to see this scholar every day so we'll see how things work out.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM

264 posts, read 819,607 times
to the OP, I would be mad too, but like it seems you have done, I would not let the child know it had me too upset, that it was wrong of him but that she should not take it personally..some people are rude, that it is not her fault and she handled herself well.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically I hete to tewll you but the courts have ruled thast its no longer disorderly conduct to flip the finger to anyone;sad but true. But you need to talk to your daughter and explain about rude ;uncivil behavior. She is going to run into this alot in her lfe with teh way teh world is now. By the way the reason the copurts ruled that is they rukled it is a common speech of the people now days ;telling you what speech has become in this country.Look at the post above that might explain why also.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 PM

214 posts, read 565,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes, that would be me, thanks for the armchair quarterbacking. I will say this, some of you are making me feel much better about where I live as flipping off children isn't normal around here. For that I give you a

Interesting World we are leaving for our kids. I never ever will accept someone treating my kids with that kind of disrespect and abuse.

And this isn't about 3 seconds, we are going to see this scholar every day so we'll see how things work out.
I do not believe that anyone (in their right mind) is asking you to accept someone treating your (or any other child) like that. You are correct, it was a very rude and senseless act. As I stated earlier, you now have the ability to control how this situation plays out for your daughter. Show her how a respectable and intelligent parent is suppose to act. This world is not perfect and there are indeed crazies walking around. . .and one day she will have to face a world/neighborhood outside of that which you are currently living. And she will encounter another ignorant person. Your goal is to teach her early how to deal with these types of individuals without perpetuating negative behavior.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 AM

4 posts, read 13,889 times
OP, please don't listen to most of the "angry" posters. Most of them probably don't even have children. Any parent, who loves their child, would be upset when their child is treated badly.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
It was wrong for an adult to flip off a child. Problem is there are a lot of adults who have never matured and have anger management problems. That doesn't mean their actions should be excused and I can see why a parent would get upset.
But you can't fight, stab, shoot, every person that acts like a moron.
I would use the incident as an opportunity to teach the child that there are some ignorant, bad,
not normal people in the world and she will probably run into one of those types every now and then throughout her life and let her know that the best way to handle them is to ignore their foolish actions.
Unfortunately, it is a fact of life and if a person responds or retaliates to every foolish action of other people they will eventualy lower themselves to the level of those ignorant people.
I'm not talking about being physically harmed. That's another matter. That demands action.
But to respond to words or gestures from idiots is a waste of time.
That goes for parents responding also.
If someone puts there hands on her, or tries to cause injury, then you kick their ass.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:39 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
If I had a nine-year-old daughter and an adult man flipped her off, I would be angry and upset, too.
My daughter is 15 and if a man flipped HER off, I would be upset.
It's perfectly natural.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:42 AM

Well thanks for the well wishes and the criticism. It's not like my kid hasn't seen the bird before. We've all seen it in traffic, on the tv, etc. but to have another school kid's Parent do it is rather painful.

She has handled this well and we'll see how this guy behaves when we run into him on a daily basis. I would hope this guy isn't foolish enough to confront her or myself for that matter. That might be a whole different post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting