Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:44 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,707,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
While it is horrible behavior, especially from an adult towards a child, "Sticks and stones..."

Turn it into a lesson about keeping a thick skin, choosing your battles wisely, and letting bygones be bygones.

Great advise and let the school also handle it ....... I would like to be a fly on the wall when they call him on it!
Let them tell him what a big shot he is when he is called to the Principal' s office.
I bet you are more angry than your child is..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:54 PM

214 posts, read 563,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You gotta be kidding me! You're so hot right now that you don't think you can control yourself? Then I submit that YOU have a bigger problem than the guy that flipped off your daughter!

For pete's sake, it's no big deal. It's not going to scar her or cause her psychological problems. He was rude, that's it. Use it as a freakin' learning experience for your daughter, by explaining to her that even adults can do inappropriate things.

But for crying out loud, get a grip on yourself and quell that temper. You're completely over-reacting, and if you actually feel that violent, I'd be afraid that you would do something stupid.

Hell, if you have that much of a temper and that inclined to violence over a small, stupid gesture, I worry for your family when they annoy you.

I completely agree. Why match ignorance? I do agree that it was a VERY ignorant and immature behavior but he did not lay hands on your child. I think that senseless and hasty behavior such as this is one of the main problems with this world. No one wants to take time to think and act responsibly. We have to start teaching the future a better alternative to negativity and stupidity. . .now is you time to start!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:58 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,230,787 times
Maybe this is slightly OT but kind of on the same line.

When I was in HS I played basketball. Whenever my team made a good play the bench was basically the best cheering section. I stood up to cheer for my bud who made a good play and I heard somebody behind me say something like, "Sit down you son's-a-b*tc%s". I looked back to see a crowd of people and had no idea where it came from. Next trip down the floor we made another great play and I stood up to cheer for it and I get pummled by this guy's jacket. Zipper caught me right in the face. As was usually the case a law enforcement officer was on hand to assist in matters such as these. I walked over and informed him of this disgruntled 'fan' and he was removed from the gymnasium.

In a crowd of people there is always someone who can't seem to handle themselves.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:08 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,913,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Maybe this is slightly OT but kind of on the same line.

When I was in HS I played basketball. Whenever my team made a good play the bench was basically the best cheering section. I stood up to cheer for my bud who made a good play and I heard somebody behind me say something like, "Sit down you son's-a-b*tc%s". I looked back to see a crowd of people and had no idea where it came from. Next trip down the floor we made another great play and I stood up to cheer for it and I get pummled by this guy's jacket. Zipper caught me right in the face. As was usually the case a law enforcement officer was on hand to assist in matters such as these. I walked over and informed him of this disgruntled 'fan' and he was removed from the gymnasium.

In a crowd of people there is always someone who can't seem to handle themselves.
You should have put on the jacket.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,230,787 times
^LOL It wasn't that nice of a jacket. I think it may have been a Members Only jacket as well....and this wasn't actually when those would have been in style. LOL

Old 10-09-2009, 02:18 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,913,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
^LOL It wasn't that nice of a jacket. I think it may have been a Members Only jacket as well....and this wasn't actually when those would have been in style. LOL

Damn. My wife made me throw my Members Only jacket away a few years ago.

I've never quite forgiven her for it.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:10 PM

50,069 posts, read 46,625,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You gotta be kidding me! You're so hot right now that you don't think you can control yourself? Then I submit that YOU have a bigger problem than the guy that flipped off your daughter!

For pete's sake, it's no big deal. It's not going to scar her or cause her psychological problems. He was rude, that's it. Use it as a freakin' learning experience for your daughter, by explaining to her that even adults can do inappropriate things.

But for crying out loud, get a grip on yourself and quell that temper. You're completely over-reacting, and if you actually feel that violent, I'd be afraid that you would do something stupid.

Hell, if you have that much of a temper and that inclined to violence over a small, stupid gesture, I worry for your family when they annoy you.
You do know what the "finger" stands for don't you? Well, the reason it bothers me is that I know who this guy is. I don't know him personally but I've been dropping off and picking up for 4 years now at this school and I thought we as Parents had a little bit more respect for the other kids and Parents. You may find this behavior "normal" and I am sorry that you live in an environment where that is "normal" but that is not what is "normal" for this school or environment. I've walked by this guy hundreds of times , said hello and it just blows me away he could do this to one of my kids. Anyone that thinks it's ok to abuse someone's kids, well? I'm still glad I wasn't there.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,873,034 times
Thanks for the laugh!

Sometimes the worst behavior at school is in the parking lot. Everyone is in a hurry - focused on their own task of getting their kid(s) dropped off or picked up.

I like the idea of letting the school handle it because that guy will likely be pretty embarrassed to be called down to the principal's office for making an obscene gesture at a little girl. And like other people said, let it be a teaching moment for you to show her the world is full of all kinds of people, and when its not worth fighting over something.

Last edited by lisdol; 10-09-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-09-2009, 03:26 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,839,549 times
most effective reply to the finger?

thumbs up.. makes people seething angry

Old 10-09-2009, 03:40 PM

50,069 posts, read 46,625,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Thanks for the laugh!

Sometimes the worst behavior at school is in the parking lot. Everyone is in a hurry - focused on their own task of getting their kid(s) dropped off or picked up.

I like the idea of letting the school handle it because that guy will likely be pretty embarrassed to be called down to the principal's office for making an obscene gesture at a little girl. And like other people said, let it be a teaching moment for you to show her the world is full of all kinds of people, and when its not worth fighting over something.
It appears said dummy got a nice long meeting with the on duty Officer But I do hope he gets a chat from the Principal too It's an eye opener for me as it was a new low as far as any experiences at this school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting