U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 AM

550 posts, read 2,543,319 times

Advertisements

I hear ya! The only thing I wonder about sometimes is when I am watching a show like Melrose Place (I am watching season 2 right now, just took a sec. to check the board!) I wish I could feel what it is like to be a young, single, successful woman with no kids. What an experience that would be. I wonder, 'would I make it?', 'would I be able to act as mature and self assured as they are?'. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change having my kids at a young age for anything, it is just something to think about.

It is really nice meeting someone who knows what the pity/disgust/horror look is all about!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 AM

34 posts, read 288,339 times
I feel the same way! It's nice to talk to people who feel like I do, sometimes I think i live in a bubble. Especially since their father and I got divorced, I feel like I've got no one. I love my kids more than anything and if I had to do it all over, I would, but sometimes I catch myself wishing it were just me so that I could pick up and go whenever I wanted. And then a huge blanket of guilt washes over me for thinking that way because I know my kids didn't ask to be born and it's not about me anymore. Look on the bright side, when they're old enough to move out, we'll still look really hot and young!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:38 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,506,397 times
I had my first baby at 18 and had 4 by the time I was 28 and I always have had a baby face and good skin so I know I looked young because I got the same kinds of comments that you are getting....I was awfully flip and no-nonsense back then - the answer to the question of "How old WERE you when you started having children?"......."I was 9" was always my reply.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 AM

15,540 posts, read 35,685,021 times
I had my first son when I was 21 and still in college and he is now out on his own and doing very well. I had my second son 9 years later. That son is still at home (he's only 12) and I still look very young! LOL I am actually glad I had my kids when I was younger so that I can travel and have fun while I'm still a young enough person myself to enjoy everything. This way, rather than toting a bunch of small kids around, I have some nice young men with whom I can enjoy spending time with as we go on "world tour".

Old 05-08-2007, 12:05 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,383,393 times
I can't hide from my age because my daughter tells everyone exactly how old I am.

Diane was born the day before my 30th birthday so when people ask her how old she is, she always just adds 30 and goes on to tell them that ...she was born the day before my 30th birtday so since she is now 10 (for example) I am not 40...

I read in another thread on this site about women who had their children after 40 and it encouraged me. I would SO love more then one child if I were to meet someone to share my life with.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:00 PM

942 posts, read 2,330,570 times
I had my boys early. Alex at 18, Lou at 19 and Daniel at 21. They all have the same father and unfortunatley we divorced but are both loving parents. I am remarried and Dad has a live in girlfriend and is active in his boys lives. We are now going through the teenage years with them; Alex is 18 Lou 17 and Daniel 15. I will be 37 tomorrow...wow. If I were any older I dont think I would get through these teenage years.

I would've liked to have my college education before having children but I took the tough route. I went through school raising my boys and just gave me more character. Because I am not light years in age difference between my boys I feel I understand them a little bit better. The oldest two talk to me openly about everything.

I wouldnt change a thing. Im thinking in a few years I'll be more in control of my life because hopefully they will be more on track with there life. Wishfull thinking..perhaps. But one can only wish and pray.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:02 PM

550 posts, read 2,543,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslo View Post
I feel the same way! It's nice to talk to people who feel like I do, sometimes I think i live in a bubble. Especially since their father and I got divorced, I feel like I've got no one. I love my kids more than anything and if I had to do it all over, I would, but sometimes I catch myself wishing it were just me so that I could pick up and go whenever I wanted. And then a huge blanket of guilt washes over me for thinking that way because I know my kids didn't ask to be born and it's not about me anymore. Look on the bright side, when they're old enough to move out, we'll still look really hot and young!
Don't feel guilty for having thoughts of no kids, it is very normal. It would be the same for non-child homes (my brother and his wife chose not to have kids) wondering what their life would be like having kids. It is nice to think of the money and time for ourselves we would have. I have concluded that I wouldn't be nearly as silly, fun and up to date without kids. They have made me into a fun person!

I started out being a single parent with my oldest. I have thoughts sometimes of how it would be cool to be a single parent again if I could afford it. I love my husband dearly but the kids and I have to be a bit more mature when he is around.

Ohh, I just thought of one comment that makes me giggle still. When my 14 year old was 11 he joined football. We were at our first tournament and throwing the ball back and forth. One of his coaches walked by and said "Hey John, maybe we should sign your sister up to play!" I just had to be flattered by that. ( I think I am blushing right now actually!)

Old 05-08-2007, 07:54 PM

62 posts, read 183,321 times
me and my wife had our daughter when i was 22 and she had just turned 20 6 days before hand....most people think my wife is to young because she is so young looking...lol...but most people here think its great young people being married and having kids already...

Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 PM

797 posts, read 2,697,705 times
My mom had me at 18, my sister at 20 and my other sister at 36! I have not had any children myself but my husband I adopted 4 of my sisters kids which she had before she was 23. She had one more later making it 5 total for her by 26! One of my closest friends had her 4 girls before she was 24 and she got married at 19.

BTW... we never planned to have kids either, funny how God knows better.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 PM

113 posts, read 694,619 times
I agree with PixieDust... being a mom certainly gave me more character during college, and it was my son who was my motivation through it all. Now I am in grad school, and I still am the lone mom (of 2 kids now) in the classrooms. Come to think of it, I don't think it's being a young mom that makes people shocked anymore... it's more that I am a mom at all. So many women I know are unmarried, childless, or had their first child past 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or