Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:23 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times

Advertisements

Security Theater Of The Absurd: TSA Takes Baby Away From Mother

So the basic premise is that her son's pacifier metal thingie made the alarm go off at the airport. TSA agent says he needs to hold her son to make sure all is ok. She hands him over. Agent walks away w/ her son. She stands there crying. (before people start going crazy over it, please note I said BASIC premise.)

Now, maybe it's just me. But there is no way in hell they're walking out of my sight w/ my kid, regardless of age. And I'm damn sure not going to stand there crying about it, I'm going to speak up and let them know that if they keep walking, we're going to have an issue.

I guess I just don't understand passiveness when it comes to your child and their safety, regardless of how shy, quiet, etc you are in other areas of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:49 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Sounds like she just got caught off guard by the whole thing and fell into "follow orders" mode. It's not unusual. From reading the article it sounds like she could have gone with them but maybe she didn't realize that until it was all over.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:24 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,468,962 times
the worst part is that the majority of these "TSA Agents" were formally minimum wage, uneducated security guards who simply "fell into" the job after 9/11.

I can sort of understand that she was probably taken off guard but there's no way I would have stood there while some security guard walked off with my baby. He could have done ANYTHING to that baby, including a "strip search" or anything else.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post

So the basic premise is that her son's pacifier metal thingie made the alarm go off at the airport. TSA agent says he needs to hold her son to make sure all is ok. She hands him over. Agent walks away w/ her son. She stands there crying. (before people start going crazy over it, please note I said BASIC premise.)Now, maybe it's just me. But there is no way in hell they're walking out of my sight w/ my kid, regardless of age. And I'm damn sure not going to stand there crying about it, I'm going to speak up and let them know that if they keep walking, we're going to have an issue.
I guess I just don't understand passiveness when it comes to your child and their safety, regardless of how shy, quiet, etc you are in other areas of your life.
And this "supposedly" happened where? And...what metal in a pacifier can anyone tell us all about? Last time I saw a pacifier, there was no metal; just a big hunk of rubbery stuff. Would I have handed a child of mine over to anyone that easily? WHEN HELL FROZE OVER!! The only way I would have let this agent walk anywhere with my child within 10 ft of him would have been with me holding the child and his hands off of the child. If this happened at all, what was wrong with this mother?? I think perhaps this Mom's first reaction should have been to cuddle her child coser to her and ask to see this man's superior officer and then question what could have made the metal detector go off other than the baby's pacificer..how ridiculous.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:05 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,839 times
i smell a very large lawsuit, if we beep going thru those things they either take that portable detectors and scan us or ask us to remove any metal items and go thru the detector again, not drag us off to a separate room

Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
I would never have handed my children over to a stranger. If my child was taken from me, it would have to be forcefully, with violence, and then everyone in earshot would know about it, and every media outlet would know about it, and every lawyer wanting to cut his teeth would know about it.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:45 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post

So the basic premise is that her son's pacifier metal thingie made the alarm go off at the airport. TSA agent says he needs to hold her son to make sure all is ok. She hands him over. Agent walks away w/ her son. She stands there crying. (before people start going crazy over it, please note I said BASIC premise.)

Now, maybe it's just me. But there is no way in hell they're walking out of my sight w/ my kid, regardless of age. And I'm damn sure not going to stand there crying about it, I'm going to speak up and let them know that if they keep walking, we're going to have an issue.

Well-let's step back a little. This is an unusual situation. So unusual that a news agency saw fit to cover it. None of us KNOW how we would react to such a situation. Sometimes the overwhelming nature of a situation incapacitates an individual.

So get off your high horse. You have NO IDEA how you would react in the same situation, nor do you know that this person is passive in general.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
UPDATE: The TSA has posted their CCTV video of the incident. In the video, the child is never picked up by TSA agents or removed from the mother's sight.
Mommyblogger Nic tells the horrifying story of how TSA agents took away her child because the clip on his pacifier set off the metal detector yesterday

hahahahahahaha!!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well-let's step back a little. This is an unusual situation. So unusual that a news agency saw fit to cover it. None of us KNOW how we would react to such a situation. Sometimes the overwhelming nature of a situation incapacitates an individual.

So get off your high horse. You have NO IDEA how you would react in the same situation, nor do you know that this person is passive in general.
Also I don't think it's a good idea to fly into a rage or go beserck in an airport now days. I avoid flying - if I don't like the rules to something, I make other choices like drive where I'm in control, others are not.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:27 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
MY high horse?? Hi pot, meet kettle. Was it really necessary to insult my pov for no reason? I think not. Wait, Nic, is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting