U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:41 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,834,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The weather has turned warm here in Northern VA finally, after one of the coldest springs ever. I consider this good news because it will help the kids who would hang out side in 40 to 50 degree weather with no coat on.

Yes, I have noticed that kids now more than ever refuse to dress warm anymore. Why? Is it peer pressure or do their bodies just feel warmer than mine does?
Well, partly because younger people have faster metabolism = warmer bodies.
Societal pressure to not wear coats cause it looks "cool" not to.

Besides, it's been proven that the cold dosen't cause sickness. Cold outside causes more people to be inside, increasing transmission between people. Hence why diseases spreaded so fast in cities in the middle ages but snail pace in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 PM

15,371 posts, read 33,798,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Well, partly because younger people have faster metabolism = warmer bodies.
Societal pressure to not wear coats cause it looks "cool" not to.

Besides, it's been proven that the cold dosen't cause sickness. Cold outside causes more people to be inside, increasing transmission between people. Hence why diseases spreaded so fast in cities in the middle ages but snail pace in the country.
PLUS.....it has always been my contention that because, as a kid, I worked out in the winter weather, failed to wear warm clothes[cause they weren't cool] and never paid a lot of attention to the weather....I have suffered far fewer colds etc etc then most people.....

[probably wrong, but it's worked in my mind for a lottttta years]

Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 PM

348 posts, read 915,025 times
I think alot of it is that kids are just warmer than we are. They run around and keep busy. I'm always colder than my kids. Funny, this morning it was chilly here in Georgia, about the first time this fall and I tried to get my 5 year olds to wear sweatshirts to school and they looked at me like I'm crazy. Well, it wasn't cold enough for me to insist so I let it go. I figure, there's times they can decide, and times I will decide for them

Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,403,189 times
Then these "not cold" kids grow up to have the office next to me and they crank down the AC to about 62 in order to "feel comfortable" and I have to wear my old ugly Office Sweater and buy a heater for under my desk to keep warm.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 AM

786 posts, read 804,119 times
Took a parenting class last year to help us deal with our very difficult child. One of the most valuable lessons we learned: let them make their own mistakes and learn their own lessons, barring permanent bodily injury. So I'd let 'em go outside and get cold. My guess is, once they really get cold, they will come looking to either come inside and warm up or put a jacket on.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 AM

348 posts, read 915,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Then these "not cold" kids grow up to have the office next to me and they crank down the AC to about 62 in order to "feel comfortable" and I have to wear my old ugly Office Sweater and buy a heater for under my desk to keep warm.

Maybe you should go buy a cuter sweater

Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 AM

6,585 posts, read 22,403,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
Maybe you should go buy a cuter sweater
Naw, it's tradition for The Office Sweater to be butt ugly.

But, back to the original poster - two words - natural consequences. No need to get involved in this battle with kids.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:23 AM

329 posts, read 1,313,216 times
My son is older now (21) but I can remember quite vividly him refusing a coat in what I consider freezing temperatures. Not just him..all his friends, my nephews his age, too. They either don't feel as cold as we do or it just doesen't bother them. T-shirts all through the winter , with a sweatshirt on top, that was it. And we're not exactly in a warm climate. But, I must say he was never sick and I don't think he has had a cold in over 5 years. So, bottom line..I wouldn't worry about it. Pick another battle because this one is a losing one.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:12 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,163,495 times
I love wearing warm clothes.. I hate the heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or