U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,170,723 times

Advertisements

We also tell him - if he's full it's okay to not eat his whole dinner - because we don't want him making himself ill by over eating.

But we stick by the "no dessert unless dinner is done" (which let me tell you - he never even ate dessert til he spent a week at my mom's house last year! Now he knows all about dessert)

I've always been super strict, consistancy is key
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 06:36 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,624,661 times
Thankyou City girl. I will try some of these ideas with him.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,757,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Thanks Gramps, bethann, dncgrl and citygrl. Oh I know he definately hears me! He's just stubborn. I know it's a bad idea to reward bad behavior and I don't do that. I think a lot of it is attention getting cause I do have a bad habit of getting to frustrated!
Ok just one more question: (well....today that is...lol)
So when its nap time and I'm trying to get him to pick up his toys how long should I give him before I do it myself? I mean he HAS to have his nap so I can't wait forever and I don't want him to get in the habit of thinking ok if I take long enough, mom'll just do it. Thanks for all the advice.
all day if they aren't done at naptime they will still be there when he wakes up
and guess what
he doesn't get to play until his old mess is cleaned

the following is not meant to insult I think it is cute
Off topic--- you kinda remind me of the luvs commercial

ya know before when we were intellectuals
and then all hecks breaks loose
now we use luvs
I used to be like you just to let you know it doesn't get any better lol

Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,624,661 times
Thanks for the encouraging words dncgrl. Nice to know I have something to look forward to.

The all day idea is good. I'll try that. I have thought of it before but it's just hard for me cause I'm a bit of a clean freak. but I'll try it.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,757,117 times
Quote:
Thanks for the encouraging words dncgrl. Nice to know I have something to look forward to.

The all day idea is good. I'll try that. I have thought of it before but it's just hard for me cause I'm a bit of a clean freak. but I'll try it.
I am too and my sons play room is our living room but when he was little you would have never known it I have cabinets all over the place
Cabinets are a girl's best friend forget the diamonds

Honey honestly it is a luvs world and its best to just roll with it
tell him nowwhen he yells
That he is being ugly to you and it hurts your feelings
(putting on a boo boo face helps)
my son is now 7 and when he starts to pitch a fit
I tell him

"you are being ugly to me...and I don't think I want to talk to you right now"

you can literally see the tears welling in his eyes because he honestly thinks he has hurt me

and use the phrase
" I know" ALOT in a sympathetic voice

but mom...."I know"

it's not fair.."I know"

joe's dad let's him... "I know"

if you loved me you would..."nice try!!!"
you can PM me anytime you want to I don't mind

Old 05-10-2007, 09:04 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,842,736 times
Quote:
I have a three year old son and he really is good at following orders (when he want to!!) He is very stubborn sometimes. The question I have is how do I get him to be obedient when I ask him to do something simple? I put him in time out for big things like hitting his sister but I don't wanna do that every single time I ask him something and he doesn't listen. And I know repeating what you said louder and louder doesn't do any good (believe me I've been there
P.S This may be a bit redundant from what I've asked before but repetition is good maybe after two or three times it'll sink in
Well you have to be consistent. Explain the rules for listening. That you will only ask once and then you expect him to listen, what the consequence for not listening is then follow through. Now before you do this be sure to pick times that he is more likely to listen to you. I know that sounds dumb, but at three kids are likely to get all dug in and stubborn if they are tired or hungry or just needing some attention. So pick appropriate times to ask him to do things so he will be successful at listening then praise the good behavior. He will soon get the idea that when mommy's happy, he's happy.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:39 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,681,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Have you tried positive reinforcement

Like a star sticker chart - when you do enough good things and get a star - you get to pick (an already specified prize)

LIttle things as rewards. Good behavior happens more often when it's rewarded - it's positive attention.

With the yelling you are still giving attention - which is what your son is searching for

I believe in rewards for accomplishing things but for good behavior?....I dont think behavior should be rewarded because as they get older who is going to give them the prize or reward for not hitting a kid that makes them mad in highschool?... I just think good behavior is something that a kid should learn because it is the right thing and respectfull thing to do without reward....the reward comes when he/she becomes a well behaved adult that is not in jail or doesnt have a drug addiction or beat his wife
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or