Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

I'm a SAHD with twin boys, now age 18 months. Anyone have suggestions on what to do with them all day? We have toys for them, but they get bored with them fast. They like Sesame Street so I let them watch that, but I don't want them watching TV all day. I play chase/hide and seek with them, but I can only take it for so long. They have the little drawing boards, but they get bored with that too. On days like today when it's cold and raining, no outdoor activities like the playground. What they seem to enjoy is getting into anything I haven't nailed down that they're not supposed to get into! Knocking over chairs, trying to get into drawers, etc.

So what do other stay at home parents do with kids this age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
The larger ideas kept them busy longer - like moving furniture together - chairs closer to couches and covering it all with sheetos and blankets, building a "tent" that they could spend an hour there, bringing their pillows and toys. Or putting a soft blanket on the floor and letting them jump on it off couches and chairs - that one they could do endlessly.

18 mo is the age when a parent realizes suddenly that he has to entertain their brain, not just the bodies (feeding-sleeping). To jump-start the ideas, get a book on ideas ("Toddler's Busy Book" or similar). - plenty and plenty of ideas with everyday objects.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Let them follow you around while you do household stuff, take them on errands with you if you can manage with two, my little boy liked train sets and blocks at that age.

Enjoy them before they turn into 2yr olds

Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
I always kept a kid friendly drawer in the kitchen- it was a bottom one that the kids could get into easily. I kept plastic plates, cups, wooden spoons, small pots & pans, various other utensils- my kids spent hours with that stuff. Playing "music" with the pots & pans, stacking cups & knocking them down, spinning the bowls, just silly stuff... I think why they liked it so much is that they thought they were into something they shouldn't be (much of what your kids are doing now)

Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Thanks for all the great ideas! We have a drawer in the kitchen with tupperware and things they're allowed to get into. Errands are just so tiring with two of them, but still necessary. I like the idea of sheets/pillows, etc. Maybe we'll build a tent today. Their busy little minds never stop!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
Sheet tents, make muffins with them they will love it! Get the "just add water" muffin mix at the store, and go for it, get a few packs, because once the muffins are cool enough to eat, they will be gone. Lay out some heavy paper on the kitchen table and let them hand or finger paint. We turn on the sirius radio through our tv provider and the kids dance.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:33 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,471 times
I am not a mom, but can you take them to a kid's museum or something like that? (if you have one where you live)

Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Check meetup.com to see if there are toddlers' groups in your area. Some tend to be geared only to SAHMs but I belong to one that welcomes SAHDs too. These groups are typically free or at least very inexpensive and tend to have activities for during the day, every day, with an added bonus of getting to know some other parents.

Also, check out your local library or bookstores for weekly story time. Sometimes local malls/churches will host a weekly kids' activity group as well. On occasion, kiddie gyms, art classes or music classes run a free trial promotion. Sometimes indoor playgrounds exist. My metro area also has a family activity website that lists upcoming family/kid-oriented activities for the month, along with whether there is an attached cost. I was actually really surprised how many free activities there are for kids under 2 yo.

Good luck!

Edit: Haha! I just re-read this and realized I used the word "free" about 10 times! You can see where my head is at when it comes to everyday entertainment! There are also tuition-based programs for kiddie gyms, toddler art/music classes, or indoor swimming lessons, all of which have classes available to under twos.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
I think I had them in activities back then like gymnastics, Little Gym, Gymboree, or the YMCA. It also sounds like you need a "break" so join a gym where they have childcare for you to go a few times a week. Our schedule was usually, have breakfast, go to Little GYM for a class, do lunch with a friend at a mall or somewhere, head home, kiddos nap/dad gets break, start all over when they wake up. After they wake up, have them color so you can get dinner ready, OR if you feel energized have them help you BAKE muffins or cookies, etc. Dinner at 5:30, baths at 7, start all over again the following day, FUN FUN FUn!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:10 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm a SAHD with twin boys, now age 18 months. Anyone have suggestions on what to do with them all day? We have toys for them, but they get bored with them fast. They like Sesame Street so I let them watch that, but I don't want them watching TV all day. I play chase/hide and seek with them, but I can only take it for so long. They have the little drawing boards, but they get bored with that too. On days like today when it's cold and raining, no outdoor activities like the playground. What they seem to enjoy is getting into anything I haven't nailed down that they're not supposed to get into! Knocking over chairs, trying to get into drawers, etc.

So what do other stay at home parents do with kids this age?
Gosh, since they have each other to play with, you would think that they would not get bored. I was an only child and learned to amuse myself for hours without any input from anyone.

Personally, I would never allow a child to watch television. It has been proven that when children watch TV it not only tends to exacerbate any ADD tentancies that the child has, and it also has been proven to re-wire their neurological synapses so that they are less able to concentrate for long periods of time. (For more information and references you can read the book "Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television" by Jerry Mander, which is a fantastic book).

EIghteen months is a little young to have big expectations. I would certain buy them some age-appropriate books and encourge them to "read" if you want to call it that. Also, spacial toys such as blocks, and those shape matching toys (square block in the square hole, round block in the round hole), should keep them busy for a while.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting