Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:58 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,869,439 times

Advertisements

Our son has a ton of clothes, a ton of book and toys, he doesn't want for anything in life. What do you buy a toddler boy for Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:09 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,396,211 times
Don't buy him anything. His grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins/god parents/family friends are bound to give him gifts. He'll never notice!

Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,761,763 times
Lightbulb start at a young age!

Give him the values of instead of gifts. Take him to charity events and show him the pleasure of helping others who are in need. Give him quality time together doing things, seeing things of interest. Demonstrate the values of being social importance in your neighborhood, community and organizations. Take him to relief centers for the homeless, hungry and needy and allow him to donate old toys that he no longer needs, or the clothing that he outgrew. Basically teaching him ethics values and at this age will make him a stronger better person later in life.

Christmas is about giving not getting.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,634,937 times
Use Christmas to tell your child about the the baby in a manger the greatest gift ever given. Give him the gift of learning how to give by asking him to select one of his toys and give it to a charity that will give it to a child who would otherwise not get anything. Lastly give him the gift of the love of two parents who are committed to him and each other for life.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,761,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Use Christmas to tell your child about the the baby in a manger the greatest gift ever given. Give him the gift of learning how to give by asking him to select one of his toys and give it to a charity that will give it to a child who would otherwise not get anything. Lastly give him the gift of the love of two parents who are committed to him and each other for life.
Maybe the kid wants his own pony?

you have good ideas there studedude!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:19 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,913,973 times
My neighbor had this dilemma with her grandson, who, by her own admission is a spoiled brat (not saying that's the case with your kid).

I recommended a donation to an animal shelter and for her to take the donations and let the grandson hand them out, allowing for him to have interactions with the animals, etc.

He spent the entire day there, playing with the animals, etc. He's 4, btw.

No offense, but I HIGHLY doubt if you really didn't get the kid anything for Christmas, it'll negatively affect him. He's 2. You really remember Christmas when you were 2?!?!

As studedude pointed out, you could start teaching the kid that Christmas isn't all about what you can get, but what you can give.

Christmas used to be my favorite, but it's become so much about what people can get that it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth more and more each year.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,869,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Christmas used to be my favorite, but it's become so much about what people can get that it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth more and more each year.
You have no idea how true that is. I deliver mail for a living and starting each fall, I start to see the greed first hand. And this will sound like I am exaggerating, but I have two people on my mail route who order QVC stuff like crazy. ONE DAY, one of the people got 26 QVC packages!!! ONE DAY!!! The other got 14. And it's not just a one week or one day thing. It's weekly starting each fall. Now they either have a MASSIVE family or they are greedy and try to "top" other family members with their gift buying. It's sickening.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,484,491 times
I have 3 children who are 6, 5, and 1, and they already have tons of toys and clothes, so I tell people who ask what to get them for xmas, birthdays, etc. that DVD's are a good gift. Especially sesame street ones.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,484,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
You have no idea how true that is. I deliver mail for a living and starting each fall, I start to see the greed first hand. And this will sound like I am exaggerating, but I have two people on my mail route who order QVC stuff like crazy. ONE DAY, one of the people got 26 QVC packages!!! ONE DAY!!! The other got 14. And it's not just a one week or one day thing. It's weekly starting each fall. Now they either have a MASSIVE family or they are greedy and try to "top" other family members with their gift buying. It's sickening.
Geez. I wish I had money to blow like that-must be nice!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,900,091 times
What is so bad, is at two years old, he would probably be happier with a free refrigerator size box to crawl in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting