U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 AM

403 posts, read 993,113 times
Default grade level placement tests?

My daughter is currently in the 5th grade and doing well. HOWEVER, I've always questioned the quality of the school. We are getting ready to re-locate to another state. My husband and I have been wondering if there is a placement test that our daughter can take to ensure is is truly at grade level. Has anyone heard of one?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:20 PM

652 posts, read 1,738,493 times
I'm not sure if you mean by the school or outside the school. Places like sylvan learning center and many tutoring/learning centers do the testing. I think most of them break down the tests by subject. depending on the place you go they will do a comparison on either a state/county level or grade/age level.
for instance I got my son tested at 2 different places at the end of the summer. one place only tested for reading, language arts, math and they showed by grade level where he fit in based on the entire U.S. The other place tested him on everything and showed where he fit compared to all of TX and by age.
hope that helps

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 PM

4,502 posts, read 7,625,428 times
I'm sure when you get to your new school, they will test your DD to see what level she's on compared to the level she should be on (for that school). If she's below, they will more than likely keep her in her grade but offer extra help.

I had the same issue.... I took my DD out of Catholic school at the end of 4th grade. When she went into public school for 5th, she was below level simply because Catholic schools are not on-par with state standards nor do they offer "true" extra help for children who need it.

They (the new public school) tested her and said it was like she never even attended 4th grade (the 4th grade Catholic school teacher was HORRIBLE). Thankfully, they kept her in the 5th grade and put her in extra help and also gave her a ton of help in-class. She was able to catch up and she is now in the 6th grade, still getting extra help, and is doing much better.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 20,844 times
hii im in high school..and im moving to atlantia georgia and i wanted to know if they have a placement test out there..im only 16 and when i started school i was a year behind when i was younger ..question can they put me in me right grade..if so how can i take the placement test how do i start

Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 AM

652 posts, read 1,738,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiya carter View Post
hii im in high school..and im moving to atlantia georgia and i wanted to know if they have a placement test out there..im only 16 and when i started school i was a year behind when i was younger ..question can they put me in me right grade..if so how can i take the placement test how do i start
High school is completely different. You have to have the credits for classes. some schools will let you test for each credit. You need to contact the school you will be going to. Also, If you want to speed up the graduation process or get into honors/AP classes, many schools have opportunities to do that. You need to read the handbook and ask the counselor. If they dont have it there at the school many times there are online courses you can take through colleges.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:28 PM

305 posts, read 749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I'm sure when you get to your new school, they will test your DD to see what level she's on compared to the level she should be on (for that school). If she's below, they will more than likely keep her in her grade but offer extra help.

I had the same issue.... I took my DD out of Catholic school at the end of 4th grade. When she went into public school for 5th, she was below level simply because Catholic schools are not on-par with state standards nor do they offer "true" extra help for children who need it.

They (the new public school) tested her and said it was like she never even attended 4th grade (the 4th grade Catholic school teacher was HORRIBLE). Thankfully, they kept her in the 5th grade and put her in extra help and also gave her a ton of help in-class. She was able to catch up and she is now in the 6th grade, still getting extra help, and is doing much better.
Actually, this MAY not be true. I recently just learned that at my child's public school (and all the others in a major metro in Texas) they do not test for grade level. I asked about it because my child is on the upside (G/T) of learning and gets bored easily. The teacher informed me that she has 22 kids and they are all on various levels (some below grade level, some right on, and a few like my son above level). She also went on to tell me how good this is for my son, that he spends more than half his time in class "tutoring" other students.

In Texas the kids have to take a state mandated test, and in some grade levels it counts whether the student will pass on. There is much controversy over this testing because the public school system here has used it as a method to "teach the test". The state only gives money based on performance on these tests, so the schools feel it is their obligation to do nothing but teach the kids how to take a test. Maybe a bit off topic, but my point is really how useless these tests are.

If you feel your child may or may not be on the right grade level, there are books available (probably through public library) that could give you some ideas of what she should have mastered. In addition, I would agree with the poster who mentioned a private center like Sylvan (of course this costs).

I am sure it is nerve-wracking not knowing what to expect. At the worst case scenario when you get to the new school (and it is indeed more difficult curriculum) you will benefit from a close relationship with the teacher on help to catch your child up. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 20,627 times
Red face high school grade level

hi. im 17 years old and im a juinor im suppose to be a senior, but i was put in the same grade twice in kindergarten.I was wondering if anyone knew what i can do to get into the right grade level?HELP PLEASE

Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 20,143 times
hi mii name chastille i was held i the first grade 1 i just want to get in mii right gade will someone help me please

Old 03-13-2010, 07:18 PM

7,454 posts, read 3,957,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
My daughter is currently in the 5th grade and doing well. HOWEVER, I've always questioned the quality of the school. We are getting ready to re-locate to another state. My husband and I have been wondering if there is a placement test that our daughter can take to ensure is is truly at grade level. Has anyone heard of one?
That will really depend on the school district you transfer into. You will need to have your daughter's transcripts all sent, and those should include all end of grade state testing results. If you feel that your daughter perhaps should be grade level advanced, you'll most likely need to request that the school administer an evaluation for gifted/talented programs depending on how the new school district handles G/T kids. Some schools simply differentiate within the classroom, some will subject level advance or even grade level advance, and some have differing levels of pull-out methods of instruction. Every school district is different, as are all states. Some states mandate gifted education programs and provide funding as well, some simply mandate programs but do not fund them, and other states have no mandates whatsoever. Here's a link showing each state's position on G/T education. View Your State's Policy on Gifted and Talented Education

ETA~I just noticed you're from Charlotte, NC. Your state has a pretty nice policy on gifted ed... it's mandated AND funded fairly well. Are you in the CMS system or UC or another one?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:26 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,932,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
When we relocated to California, the elementary school there did these tests...
however, they're not as common in some locations... if you believe your child isn't in the grade level most appropriate to her abilities, I'd suggest you make a point of requesting this kind of test at her new school... and if they're the type who responds "we don't do that sort of thing," be prepared to argue a little and insist upon it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting