U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM

930 posts, read 637,155 times

Advertisements

Iv'e been in Daycare for almost 17 years and even though I have 2 girls(3 & 7), I have helped potty train alot of boys. Girls do tend to potty train quicker, but it's all up to the child. My 2 girls were both completely trained before age three. I didn't rush them into anything. Boys usually start at 2 1/2 or 3 and some aren't trained till almost 4. And that's perfectly normal. You have to listen to clues from your child and be patient. Wait until he is telling you that his diapers are becoming uncomfortable. He might even constantly pull them off himself. Have big boy underwear or pull-ups ready and tell him if he doesn't want his baby diapers on, then he'll have to TRY and use the potty. If he goes, you should put underwear on him so he can really feel the difference between them and his bulky diapers. Just remember to take him to the potty again every 45 mins. If he will be in a daycare, put pull-ups on him. The ones that have velco on the sides help alot. You can change them without taking off their pants and shoes and you can even do it while they are standing. If you send him to the caregivers with the velcro ones, they'll love you for it and it will help you out too, when you are in a public restroom or stall without a changing table.
If possible, let him go shopping with you to pick out the undies and flushable wipes are a godsent. Put some in your purse or diaper bag. If he is staying dry pretty much all day with only a few accidents, you should eliminate the diapers all together. You dont want to go backwards and ruin the progress. Always keep around the pull-ups, even when he doesn't need them during the day, they come in handy in case of tummy aches, especially at night. That's when you'll thank yourselves for buying the velcro ones.
The cheerio idea is a good one. You can also keep a chart buy the toilet, and everytime he goes to the potty, let him put a sticker on the chart and when he has a certain amount of stickers or if he has stayed dry all day, he can receive a treat. A coin for his piggy bank, a cookie, a piece of candy, maybe a small toy you purchased ahead of time, popcorn and a movie before bed, ect. After awhile he'll forget about the treats and simply go because it has become natural for him. If you can, get a hold of some books or movies about potty training. The library usually has some, or you can go to the bookstore and read them.
At the daycare I worked at, if the child was just learning, we found it easiest to take off their bottoms and sit them on the toilet backwards. Sounds funny, but it allows them to lean forward and aim into the toilet. It's much better than constantly reminding them to hold down their "pee pee's" so they don't flood the floor. Almost all of them learned this way. For some reaon, alot of them are afraid to stand when they are just learning. And that's ok, eventually they'll get it. My daughter instantly hated her pull-ups and diapers and only wanted panties, but at first, she would accasionally pee the bed at night. So, a few hours after she fell asleep, I'd sneak in there and put a pull-up on her. Some kids will let you do this before bed if they can wear their big underwear on top of the pull-ups.
Always keep in a bag changes of clothes including socks and shoes with you and at the beginning, every time you pass a potty ask him if he has to go, and if you KNOW that he hasn't gone in a while or just had a lot to drink, take him anyway. If he insists that he doesn't want to, you'll probably hear alot of "I don't need to". But your instincts will know best, so bring him anyway and put him on the potty and ask him to please try. Play a game of closing your eyes to be surprised, or I bet you cant?
My mom and I played tricks with my daughter like "Lets see if you can turn the water yellow(or green)". Or my mom would go into the next stall and they will have a contest to see who could go first. After 6 months, we still play this one and if we're home, we race to the potty and see who can go first. My oldest helps with this one. And all of this works, I'm sure you'll think of other games to play.
Just be patient and wait for the clues. Some clues will be him holding himself, it let's you know that he needs to go, but can hold it till he's ready, if he stays dry through nap, if he talks about the potty or has an interest to buy or wear big boy pants, hating the way diapers feel between his legs or under his clothes.
I hope this helps, just remember to wait untill he's ready and not too rush him, if he is rushed too early, it wont be good for him emotionally or physically. And he may be less interested in trying when the time is right. Being ready isn't all about age, his bladder needs to be mature enough to tell his brain, "Hey I'm full, let's go tell someone or find a potty."
Good luck jco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 02:21 PM

108 posts, read 430,663 times
Default two kinds of potty training

The other posters have it right, wait till the signs are there. It's so much easier to wait until they are ready. If he wakes up from sleep with a dry diaper, that's a good sign he can hold it. My son trained to pee standing up like Daddy.
BUT going #2 was another matter... he was almost 4 (!) before he would go in the toilet. He would tell me he had to go poopy, we'd put a pull-up on him, and he would hide and do his business. Then we'd change the pull-up, and go from there. That was VERY frustrating, because it was a mental thing, and every parent knows that 3-year-olds are impervious to logic!! But one day, it was over, like something just clicked in his head.
Good luck!

Last edited by marymel; 05-10-2007 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: clean up the potty language!

Old 05-10-2007, 02:25 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,925,200 times
We have two boys. Our oldest was just over 3 when my dh brought him into the bathroom and showed him how to pee standing up. I had tried and failed many times before that, so I guess he was ready. He wasnt fully trained until he was 4.
My younger son, he was 2 1/2 one day when he fought me tooth and nail about wearing a diaper. He didnt want it and I wasnt ready. But lone behold, he was fully trained in a week.
My neighbour started training her son at 18 months and they moved when he was about 3, he still was wearing diapers at night. She swore that he was fully trained ; she started because he would pull at his penis and she thought he was ready to train.

When they are ready, it will happen within a couple of days. If they are not ready, you will pull you hair out trying to force them. Its not worth it ; just enjoy them, chill and before you know it, you wont be buying diapers. Dont waste your money on training pants ; its a good marketing ploy.
dorothy

Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,623,549 times
Good advice ladies! I'm going to attempt to potty train my son next month. I'm just going to put him in undies and spend A LOT of time outside.
I made a really bad failed attempt a couple months ago. I don't think he was ready but maybe I just didn't give it enough chance. I got the sticker chart and the m'ms all ready! so we'll see how it goes!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 4,755,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I heard someone on The View saying they put cheerios in the toilet and told their little boy to try and hit them...
oh that is too good I love it

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Good advice ladies! I'm going to attempt to potty train my son next month. I'm just going to put him in undies and spend A LOT of time outside.
I made a really bad failed attempt a couple months ago. I don't think he was ready but maybe I just didn't give it enough chance. I got the sticker chart and the m'ms all ready! so we'll see how it goes!
my son when potty training used to watch daddy going pee and his older brother going pee so I guess it was a non issue for him he wanted to hold his "weeder" as he calls it and go pee like daddy

It was really the easiest thing I NEVER had to do

Old 05-10-2007, 09:14 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,840,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
my son when potty training used to watch daddy going pee and his older brother going pee so I guess it was a non issue for him he wanted to hold his "weeder" as he calls it and go pee like daddy

It was really the easiest thing I NEVER had to do
My first son trained just before he turned three. He had one accident and never wet himself or the bed again after that. The easiest thing ever.

Son number two actually showed his cousin (who is 8 months older) how to use the potty when he was just two. So I thought wow he's ready early! Well after an entire week of going with his cousin, when they went home he started to pee all over the house!!! So back into diapers. Tried again at 2/12 and nope no good. Didn't worry me as I said the first one was almost three. Well not only did three come and go but we were fast approaching 3 1/2 when I was at my witts end with him. I actually wrote to Super Nanny and told them they needed to come and potty train my kid! I sent him off to preschool and they trained him...seriously I didn't do it they did. Thank Goodness! So by the time summer came he was daytime trained but he was in pull ups at night until just before Christmas...he turned 5 in december. Thankfully we are finally over it, no more night time accidents either!

Oh and super nanny did call back to put us on the show...but he was trained by the time they got back to me. Had he not been though I may have gone for it...I was totally desperate!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
My first son trained just before he turned three. He had one accident and never wet himself or the bed again after that. The easiest thing ever.

Son number two actually showed his cousin (who is 8 months older) how to use the potty when he was just two. So I thought wow he's ready early! Well after an entire week of going with his cousin, when they went home he started to pee all over the house!!! So back into diapers. Tried again at 2/12 and nope no good. Didn't worry me as I said the first one was almost three. Well not only did three come and go but we were fast approaching 3 1/2 when I was at my witts end with him. I actually wrote to Super Nanny and told them they needed to come and potty train my kid! I sent him off to preschool and they trained him...seriously I didn't do it they did. Thank Goodness! So by the time summer came he was daytime trained but he was in pull ups at night until just before Christmas...he turned 5 in december. Thankfully we are finally over it, no more night time accidents either!

Oh and super nanny did call back to put us on the show...but he was trained by the time they got back to me. Had he not been though I may have gone for it...I was totally desperate!
when my daughter was potty training (the 20yr old) I had gotten to where she would wear undies during the day and she would actually get ticked off when I tried to put a diaper on her at night
(I'm old we didnt have pull ups then)
so I told her
"ok you can go to bed tonight in your undies,but if you have an accident your bed will be all wet and it won't be fun for you.

well lo and behold she never wet the bed once

go figure

Old 05-10-2007, 09:54 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,840,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
when my daughter was potty training (the 20yr old) I had gotten to where she would wear undies during the day and she would actually get ticked off when I tried to put a diaper on her at night
(I'm old we didnt have pull ups then)
so I told her
"ok you can go to bed tonight in your undies,but if you have an accident your bed will be all wet and it won't be fun for you.

well lo and behold she never wet the bed once

go figure
My oldest wore pull ups for about 4 months at night. Every morning I'd find the pull up on the floor in front of the toilet, dry. He would be in bed bare bottomed asleep. I finally asked him in the supermarket if we needed to buy them anymore and he said no, I always get up anyway. Like I said he was too easy....He definitely tricked me into having number 2!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:30 AM

1,943 posts, read 7,627,049 times
Both my boys started potty training close to 3 years old. my oldest hadn't been getting the grasp of it, so after a couple of days of trying, I said-forget it, he's not ready. Waited 2 weeks...and it seemed that magic happened. He learned within 2 days. Never had an accident at night with either of my boys.

I never put my boys in pullups. Too me-it's a security blanket. It is a diaper that you can pee in just in case. It was diapers straight to underwear.

At night, for the first couple of days, I put diapers on-but it was underwear in the day. Then, when the diaper was dry, with a "pee blanket" under the sheet just to protect the mattress in the event of an accident, I tried underwear at night. Didin't let them have a drink after 7 though!

Never had an accident, in pants or in the bed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting