U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:09 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,940,778 times

Advertisements

Wow just looked into this thread and thank you all, my 3yr old boy is potty training now(my mom had me cinvince we wree all trained by two) figured when he is ready he is ready.So maybe mom kinda of fibbed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,461 times
This advice has helped immensely. Our story is that my wife and I become foster parents when the oldest was 23 Months and his brother was 4 months. Not too worried about the youngest, but it was now more than 7 months for the oldest and we were starting to get concerned since about 3 weeks after we got him, we were in a store and saw one and knew exactly what it was. I think part of the stress on him changing families has affected his training. There are days that he wll go in the potty once or twice than wait weeks to go again. But now hearing that most boys are three ( I must have been unusual because I think I was by the time I was two, but I did have two older brothers.) But hearing that three is the right age sets my mind at ease

Old 06-19-2007, 12:05 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,623,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymel View Post
The other posters have it right, wait till the signs are there. It's so much easier to wait until they are ready. If he wakes up from sleep with a dry diaper, that's a good sign he can hold it. My son trained to pee standing up like Daddy.
BUT going #2 was another matter... he was almost 4 (!) before he would go in the toilet. He would tell me he had to go poopy, we'd put a pull-up on him, and he would hide and do his business. Then we'd change the pull-up, and go from there. That was VERY frustrating, because it was a mental thing, and every parent knows that 3-year-olds are impervious to logic!! But one day, it was over, like something just clicked in his head.
Good luck!
Oh man! Don't tell be I have to go through this for another year! (when you hear the phrase you'll do anything for your kids I think cleaning poopy underwear is one of them ) It's been two weeks and my son has pretty much got the pee thing down but the ****!!
He absolutely freaks about everything now with his ****. He won't sit on the pot for anything and he totally freaks when its (ah hem) going through the process. I'm worried too he's gonna get constipated. I've heard of kids doing that. He hasn't gone as much as he did when he was in diapers all the time. Any advice???
(man its amazing how scattalogical you become when you become a mom..)

Old 09-29-2007, 05:39 PM

73 posts, read 291,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
My son's almost thirteen months, and while I don't want to start until he's eighteen months, I'd like to have a plan. Just so you know, I know absolutely NOTHING about potty training. I don't even know if you teach boys to stand up and pee or sit down. Ah! How do I start this whole thing?
I have 3 boys ages 3, 2 and 6 weeks. I just started potty training both my boys a week ago. I made a chart and everytime they wanted to pee they got a star and poops are smiley faces. They love it my younger one is doing okay. but my older one is now in training pants. If they go for a full week on the potty they get a prize its great.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:54 PM

146 posts, read 653,097 times
Just a quick reply, as I havent read the threads on this post.

If you want to teach him to stand and actually get the pee in the toilet without getting it all over the walls, floor, etc......

Put a few cheerios in the water and have him try to sink them!
Teaches him "hand eye coordination" and its a fun game of target practice too

Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 AM

5 posts, read 15,309 times
Default failed

hey girls i am so stressed out and depressed. my son is going to be 4 in 4 more months. he is still on diapers. i am a germ-phobic. i have to disinfect every inch of the toilet before i sit on it or even allow my son to go into the bathroom. i will never use a public bathroom even to pee unless it's a life and death situation and i'm not able to drive myself home. i've been this way since i was a kid. i think i've traumatized him by the way i am. i finally built up the courage to train him a couple of months ago, something i've been dreading. he seemed to be fine with it and coming along ok. he did about 4 bowel movements in the toilet for a week. then i went back to work full time (i was on vacation) and my husband didn't keep up with it and he feel back to diapers. now it's extremely hard for me to get him to even sit on the toilet. he screams and cries when he's on it and throws tantrums right on the toilet. i dont know what to do. he is a very stubborn kid to begin with and does not like changes so obviously this is a huge hurdle for him as well as me. i work full time and so does my husband and we also have a 1 year old daughter. i was thinking of just throwing the diapers away and make him go cold turkey. he's definitely physically ready, but my parents, who take care of him for a couple of hours while we're at work are even bigger germ-phobics (i get it from them) they would flip out if he had an accident in their newly renovated home. i feel like such a failure and i feel like i dont have any support from my husband, my parents, or my doctor. i took him for his flu shot today and she was grumbling, "i cant believe he's still on diapers." i told her i've been trying and she said "i dont believe you." it hurts alot coming from her. my son now has a bad feeling about toilet training because of me. when i consistently put him on the toilet i notice he doesn't make a bowel movement for a couple of days. he tries to hold it in which causes him to have constipation. i am sooo sad right now. i just wish i can get this over with...

Old 10-17-2007, 12:42 AM

1,354 posts, read 5,626,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malya2006 View Post
hey girls i am so stressed out and depressed. my son is going to be 4 in 4 more months. he is still on diapers. i am a germ-phobic. i have to disinfect every inch of the toilet before i sit on it or even allow my son to go into the bathroom. i will never use a public bathroom even to pee unless it's a life and death situation and i'm not able to drive myself home. i've been this way since i was a kid. i think i've traumatized him by the way i am. i finally built up the courage to train him a couple of months ago, something i've been dreading. he seemed to be fine with it and coming along ok. he did about 4 bowel movements in the toilet for a week. then i went back to work full time (i was on vacation) and my husband didn't keep up with it and he feel back to diapers. now it's extremely hard for me to get him to even sit on the toilet. he screams and cries when he's on it and throws tantrums right on the toilet. i dont know what to do. he is a very stubborn kid to begin with and does not like changes so obviously this is a huge hurdle for him as well as me. i work full time and so does my husband and we also have a 1 year old daughter. i was thinking of just throwing the diapers away and make him go cold turkey. he's definitely physically ready, but my parents, who take care of him for a couple of hours while we're at work are even bigger germ-phobics (i get it from them) they would flip out if he had an accident in their newly renovated home. i feel like such a failure and i feel like i dont have any support from my husband, my parents, or my doctor. i took him for his flu shot today and she was grumbling, "i cant believe he's still on diapers." i told her i've been trying and she said "i dont believe you." it hurts alot coming from her. my son now has a bad feeling about toilet training because of me. when i consistently put him on the toilet i notice he doesn't make a bowel movement for a couple of days. he tries to hold it in which causes him to have constipation. i am sooo sad right now. i just wish i can get this over with...
Kids easily pick up on our feelings, body language, facial expressions, etc. If he see's you looking uncomfortable, then that will in turn make him uncomfortable. Kids regressing after a change (you going back to work) is very normal. Its also normal they resist trying again.

My suggestions are:
-Try a star chart. Make a chart and buy different size stickers. Give him a little star for trying to go potty and a large star for actually going potty.
-Bring in toys and books so they can sit on the potty and have something to do, which will increase the time they are willing to sit there. My daughter had her leap frog toy that would entertain her for quite some time while sitting on the potty.
-Let your child pick out cool undies. Let him pick out spongebob or whatever. Talk to him and let him know that if he wants to be a big boy, he needs to use the restroom like a big boy and then he can wear big boy undies. Put the undies on him and like every 30 minutes have him try to pee.
-DOes he go in the bathroom when your hubby is using it? That sealed the deal with my son. He wanted to stand and hold himself like dad does.

Good luck, I know it can be challenging. You might want to re-think the public restroom thing. My kids are public restroom magnets, I think they can sense we are in a store with a public restroom. For my son, he thought it was cool to use the bathroom everytime we went somewhere, which really helped with his potty training.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 AM

146 posts, read 653,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymel View Post
The other posters have it right, wait till the signs are there. It's so much easier to wait until they are ready. If he wakes up from sleep with a dry diaper, that's a good sign he can hold it. My son trained to pee standing up like Daddy.
BUT going #2 was another matter... he was almost 4 (!) before he would go in the toilet. He would tell me he had to go poopy, we'd put a pull-up on him, and he would hide and do his business. Then we'd change the pull-up, and go from there. That was VERY frustrating, because it was a mental thing, and every parent knows that 3-year-olds are impervious to logic!! But one day, it was over, like something just clicked in his head.
Good luck!
Same here! I have 4 boys and they all were late trainers. They were almost 3 1/2 before they finally mastered it. They all stood to pee, and hid to poop in the (cloth) training pants. I tried pull ups with my youngest 2, but I think they felt too much like a diaper, so it didnt bother them to have a load. Pooping in trainers seemed more uncomfortable for them, so maybe that helped it along.

Some kids are afraid of falling in when they sit down on the big pot, so that could delay the process too.

Good Luck, and remember THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,282,457 times
Take heart if your kids are not trained by 2...I have one child and he was not fully 'trained' until 4. Kids mature differently. It is a bit upsetting to have a child that you can have a conversation with (an actually intelligent one!) and still have them in pull ups.

Don't compare your kids to someone else's. My sister has four..the oldest boy took until he was 4, the middle 2 until they were probably 2-3, the youngest at 3. (all boys).

Old 10-17-2007, 06:55 AM

43 posts, read 163,293 times
I think the approach is often just slower and different here in the US. I'm not from the US originally and I have a lot of international friends, all our kids were trained by two. None of us used pullups, they seem to slow things down a lot. We all just set aside some time, went cold turkey with the underwear and did plenty of praise. We start earlier too, letting them sit on the toilet just after their first birthday while we blow some bubbles, things like that, to get rid of any fear. Then they are encouraged to flush the toilet a few times. It wasn't a big deal in our house and most of my friends managed it within a couple of weeks too. I think some people here (in the US not this board) tend to hope that pullups and sitting in dirty diapers will lead to enough discomfort that the child will want to use the toilet. I have a friend with a VERY smart Daughter who is 3.5, she wont use the toilet and has been in pullups for a year now. It's all mental and now she is just resisting. I think it's important to get rid of that resistance and fear before you start the real training, it really does help. There seems to be a window just before 2 when they want to please you. That window seems to vanish as they get into the third year and they are happy to resist and do whatever they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting