Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM

316 posts, read 394,779 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Is it safe to have a gun with a fingerprint safe with children (not fingerprinted for the safe) in the house? Is there any chance they can get in that safe? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 AM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
I don't know about that particular safe, but I have heard that it is better for people with guns in the house to take multiple precautions. We live in an area with lots of hunters, so gun safety and owner responsibility are big issues. Some available precautions: education (formal and family-led), gun safe, trigger locks (given out for free by many communities and organizations), storing ammo in a separate & locked location away from the guns. There are others but those seem to be some of the most popular with hunters in our area.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 PM

142 posts, read 608,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union county hopeful View Post
What do you think? Is it safe to have a gun with a fingerprint safe with children (not fingerprinted for the safe) in the house? Is there any chance they can get in that safe? Anyone know?

I'm not sure what a fingerprint safe is. My guns are locked in a safe and have trigger locks on them. As soon as the kids are old enough, theyll learn about gun safety, which is my most important safety concern with kids and guns in the house. Teach them about them and how to use them safely. This way if they ever come in contact with a gun (in your home or someone elses) they'll know what to do.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,145 times
Father has owned guns since the day I was born, and I have never seen the things. Responsible parents know how to keep the guns away from their children, and especially how to teach them gun respect. Learned how to shoot a rifle when I was thirteen, and how to clean guns, do basic maintenance, and shoot all sorts of guns. I plan on owning guns as an adult, and they will be locked up in a safe, fully loaded only used for emergency situations such as a break in.

Guns are a crime deterrant and useful to have, but if you are responsible you will teach your children as much about them as possible. Ignorance is no excuse if they get into a bad situation. If they understand and respect the guns as tools and not weapons, they will have a better chance of not getting into a bad situation as adults or even as children.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:15 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
I don't know about that particular safe, but I have heard that it is better for people with guns in the house to take multiple precautions. We live in an area with lots of hunters, so gun safety and owner responsibility are big issues. Some available precautions: education (formal and family-led), gun safe, trigger locks (given out for free by many communities and organizations), storing ammo in a separate & locked location away from the guns. There are others but those seem to be some of the most popular with hunters in our area.
That is what we do. Keep the gun locked up and the ammo seperate. We keep them both out of reach for our young kids. We have alot of hunters in this area, there are many kids that hunt also. Most people I know are very careful.

Your local PD or sheriff depart should have trigger locks for free.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Just out of curiosity...
If you have a gun/guns for home safety reasons, and let's say you have a home invasion, how does a gun in a safe with a trigger lock and ammo elsewhere help you?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Just out of curiosity...
If you have a gun/guns for home safety reasons, and let's say you have a home invasion, how does a gun in a safe with a trigger lock and ammo elsewhere help you?
My DH carries his weapon off duty. Its locked up at all other times. Luckily home invasions are unheard of in our area. We are fortunate to live in a rural area and the biggest crimes here are people taking things from unlocked cars and bike theft. But when we visit the city, travel, etc, DH carries his weapon. We (DH, our baby, and I) were nearly attacked by two parolees that recognized DH in a different state about 6 years ago. Luckily he had his weapon or it would have turned out very differently.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union county hopeful View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Just out of curiosity...
I asked a friend about the fingerprint safe. He said that type of safe is used by people who keep guns for protection. The fingerprint aspect is supposed to allow quick access only by the owner. If someone wanted to learn more, I would recommend talking to some gun experts, perhaps someone at a gun store. They should have better info and should be able to give insight into the reliability of the safes. Sometimes they have first hand experience that isn't necessarily just the glossy sales description.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:20 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,479 times
I use the same type of mini-safe that is issued by several federal agencies. It can be locked and unlocked with a combination and/or a key.
There is a wide spectum of choice concerning the speed/security trade-offs with that device , from seconds to almost instantly.

I have not heard of any reliable , affordable fingerprint mini-safe designed for firearms.

It would not surprise me to learn that the safe is an Urban Myth.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:45 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
The best thing you can do is teach your child about gun safety from an early ages. My 4 year old watches me shoot and has even shot himself (me holding the .22 and him pulling hte trigger). THey have to know they are dangerous and to never tough them when I am not around. I keep mine locked and loaded up high but no safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting