Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,738 times

Advertisements

I have a healthy enthusiastic 8 yr old, 3rd grader with who like many has weekly spelling tests. She has homework Mon-Thurs related to the spelling words (worksheets) and the test is on Friday, in addition we make flash cards for the words and I give her a practice spelling test with 1/2 the words on Wed and 1/2 the words on Thursday. She knows the words, she recites them to me in the car by memory. Then on the test, she spells several wrong. She's not failing or anything but there are special rewards etc for doing well on the test in school and she feels bad when she doesn't get them. Is there a better way to study the words? Now get this, she one time spelled a word incorrectly on the test but then on the backside of the paper when they wrote out dictated sentences and the spelling word was used again, she spelled it correctly. Go figure! What's your trick?

Pam S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:33 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times
If she is spelling them all correctly before the test, I'd say that the problem is either carelessness or nerves during the test. It sounds like you have the studying part down, maybe try to figure out how to handle the test.

Does she spell them right OUT LOUD and then get them wrong on paper? That might be something to discuss with the teacher, since it could be a learning difference.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
I have a healthy enthusiastic 8 yr old, 3rd grader with who like many has weekly spelling tests. She has homework Mon-Thurs related to the spelling words (worksheets) and the test is on Friday, in addition we make flash cards for the words and I give her a practice spelling test with 1/2 the words on Wed and 1/2 the words on Thursday. She knows the words, she recites them to me in the car by memory. Then on the test, she spells several wrong. She's not failing or anything but there are special rewards etc for doing well on the test in school and she feels bad when she doesn't get them. Is there a better way to study the words? Now get this, she one time spelled a word incorrectly on the test but then on the backside of the paper when they wrote out dictated sentences and the spelling word was used again, she spelled it correctly. Go figure! What's your trick?

Pam S.
Simple test anxiety. Very normal at this grade level.

On Thurs nights, give her a sample test of all the words. Since the test is not broken up into two days, maybe do the same on your end. Ask her the way the test is given in school & simulated it that way.

The part I put in bold face was a great thing you picked up! She DOES know how to spell the words correctly...she is either going too fast/overconfident or getting nervous/making silly mistakes.

Also, remind her to check her words before she turns in her test. Tell her to take a deep breath, close her eyes for a few seconds, and then check her work before handing it in.

The tests like spelling can be a double edged sword b/c it's rote memorization yet they have to know how to spell. So, every week she has the challenge of memorizing new words & getting them right for a test. So, by Fri & test time, she probably just wants to get it over with, hand in her test, & get the reward for the hard work. She may be more concerned about the fun reward at the end & thus losing concentration.

If it continues, maybe talk to the teacher to get her on board to make sure your daughter has the proper tools to take a test. She knows the words, she is just for some reason not following through at the end.

Good luck! You are doing an awesome job as is your daughter!

Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times
Try having her write the words out for practice every night. it worked with my sister. I think it was easier for her on the day of the test because she had written the words so many times before.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Simple test anxiety. Very normal at this grade level.

On Thurs nights, give her a sample test of all the words. Since the test is not broken up into two days, maybe do the same on your end. Ask her the way the test is given in school & simulated it that way.

The part I put in bold face was a great thing you picked up! She DOES know how to spell the words correctly...she is either going too fast/overconfident or getting nervous/making silly mistakes.

Also, remind her to check her words before she turns in her test. Tell her to take a deep breath, close her eyes for a few seconds, and then check her work before handing it in.

The tests like spelling can be a double edged sword b/c it's rote memorization yet they have to know how to spell. So, every week she has the challenge of memorizing new words & getting them right for a test. So, by Fri & test time, she probably just wants to get it over with, hand in her test, & get the reward for the hard work. She may be more concerned about the fun reward at the end & thus losing concentration.

If it continues, maybe talk to the teacher to get her on board to make sure your daughter has the proper tools to take a test. She knows the words, she is just for some reason not following through at the end.

Good luck! You are doing an awesome job as is your daughter!
This is good advice. Both for these reasons, and the reasons given by the original poster, are why we don't give weekly spelling tests at our school. We did away with them years ago when our school-wide spelling plan was adopted.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:46 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
I had to have mine write her spelling words every day. 3x at least.
Karen

Old 09-30-2008, 03:16 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Oral spelling and written spelling are two different skills. My dyslexic son has a 2 year grade difference between oral and written spelling. His oral spelling is the higher grade level. Spelling is very tough for dyslexic kids.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:08 PM

589 posts, read 1,635,943 times
My girls' 3rd grade teacher doesn't do spelling tests the way I am used to seeing them done. Usually the teacher says the word out loud and the children write them down.

Instead she has them scrambled for them to unscramble. This can get tricky because you have many words whose letters can make another word! LOL She has started putting the other 'word' on the test as the scrambled letters. This works for some students and not for others. However, it does put a spin on the rote memorization. You have to actually apply the words to a situation.

Not to hijack your thread here.. but the new FL curriculum that our school uses is horrible. We are in our 6th week of school now ( I think ). The 3rd grade spelling words are a Unit 1 review this week.
last drum mix save sock left smell note thick huge smile grade

These sure don't seem like 3rd grade words to me.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
I am no trying to hijack the thread either just so glad my 2nd grader is not the only one. We do sentences, flash cards, mock spelling tests. He actually has 15 words, 10 of them are actual spelling words and the other 5 are challenge words, it is the challenge words he has the most difficulty with. It can get really frustrating for me.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
My dyslexic kids always had their best success with using the "sail" method (the words end up looking like sails). Say the word is game, you have her practice it like this:
g
ga
gam
game

Do that a couple of times and they pretty much get it as good as they can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting