Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 AM

4 posts, read 36,237 times

Advertisements

Ok, 1st and foremost I am new to the forum and this site but enjoy it! I have a 9 month old son and as a new parent I would like to think I'm doing well being that I have had experience in watching close friends with their kids and being the oldest of 5 within my family. My son is wonderful, very happy child, sees me and always greets me with a smile no matter what but lately it seems like he's trying to start his own personality and I don't want it going in the wrong direction. If I leave the room instead of him crying it sounds like he's just plain yelling until I come back in which it stops. I take him out and sit him with me while I get dressed in the morning and he's calm. I try to get him dressed and now it seems like he fights me on that also so I dont know if this is the beginning of things to come or if I stand firm will he understand? I think he does because when I tell him "NO" he will notice it and start crying...I just remember as a child me being spanked lightly (old school) as a reminder or as a startle to notice that I'm doing wrong, but at what age is that ok? I don't want him growing up as that child that no one wants to babysit or be around because he's now all of a sudden cranky all the time.

thoughts?

Last edited by Bo; 10-27-2009 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM

545 posts, read 1,056,588 times
Early and often is my rule of thumb.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,646,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangdrivin View Post
...I just remember as a child me being spanked lightly (old school) as a reminder or as a startle to notice that I'm doing wrong, but at what age is that ok?
Never.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:39 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,753,749 times
We have 20 months old twins, and I do give them a light tap (for attention, not to cause pain), say on the hand when one of them keeps playing with the buttons on the TV, or on the upper thigh when they struggle a lot during a diaper change. We started this at over a year old (I can't remember exactly- we didn;'t decide on an age and then start...), basically when we felt that talking to the child would be productive/ they would understand because their cognitive behaviour and verbal development was advanced enough, when they could understand "no" and still did the unwanted behaviour.

At the age of your boy, I think re-direction is best... ie try to entertain him with something else, get his attention away from the bad behaviour.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:46 AM

242 posts, read 662,969 times
At the age of your boy, I think re-direction is best... ie try to entertain him with something else, get his attention away from the bad behaviour.

I agree; I think 9 months is a bit young. I always used spanking/swatting as a consequence for willful misbehaviour. I don't think it's willful at that age. Just trying to process different experiences, IMO.

I know that it is hard to listen to your little one cry, but remember that it doesn't necessarily mean that something's wrong. It's the only way they can communicate and deal with their feelings. Re-direction is great, but also remember that crying helps them process their feelings. You don't always need to stop it immediately.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,911,330 times
When they demonstrate the ability to associate consequences with behavior.

And the power of a spanking is usually inverse to it's frequency. I.e., the less you do it, the better it works when you must.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 36,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Never.

Please do not be mistaken, I am speaking of the "attention tap" penguin is talking about...I dont spank to cause pain but I do spank his hand lightly as a reminder to him so he knows that what he's doing is wrong by playing with things he shouldn't.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:53 AM

937 posts, read 2,825,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Never.
Oh puhleeze. Let me guess, you call the police on someone who spanks their kids.

Spank their butts early and often.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangdrivin View Post
Please do not be mistaken, I am speaking of the "attention tap" penguin is talking about...I dont spank to cause pain but I do spank his hand lightly as a reminder to him so he knows that what he's doing is wrong by playing with things he shouldn't.
Then honestly the word "spank" shouldn't have been used, because it's never okay to spank your child.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Oh puhleeze. Let me guess, you call the police on someone who spanks their kids.
Nice personal attack there, cupcake. It's not my business how others discipline their children unless they're injuring the child, so cool your accusatory jets and take a chill pill. However, the OP asked the question, and I answered it. He should have worded it differently though, in order to be clear about what he meant.

Quote:
Spank their butts early and often.
You're the type of parent that a child grows up to resent, and who will leave you to rot in a dingy nursing home when you start needing your diaper changed and drool wiped off your chin.

Good luck with that, let us know how it goes for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting