Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM

141 posts, read 429,210 times

Advertisements

While this is a sad story the CDC has PR people and they do their jobs pretty well. They acknowledged that there is an epidemic and THATS why they do not want to continue to waste the money in that aspect. Whether the numbers are overstated or not they would rush to make ANY news public just because of everyone's reactions. Here in Atlanta the CDC did various studies where people were randomly selected and tested. They also had open studies. None of these results were ever published to my knowledge but I do still have the flyers. They are a shady bunch but look at their title Centers for Disease Control. Its about the virus more than the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,496,480 times
Hmmmm I'm not sure the CDC is publicizing cases in Canada...the OP lives in Canada.

That said my 3yr old had H1N1 and while it sucked it wasn't any worse than a normal flu, he lost a pound and had one slightly scary night, but no where near as scary as when my daughter had pnuemonia or croup.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,506,774 times
Is the CDC overhyping this in a manner that only creates fear & panic?
Is WHO overhyping this in a manner that only creates fear & panic?
Look at the stats. Compare the stats to seasonal flu. Do the math. Then decide.

Is the media overhyping this in a manner that only creates fear & panic?
Absolutely.

CNN had a woman all over the news yesterday who contracted H1N1 in the summer, went into a coma, lost her unborn child (27 weeks gestation) & her lung collapsed 5 times while she was in the hospital for 4 months.

As awful as the story is....turns out she is a long time smoker.

Smoking + influenze = problems no matter what

This is a sad story. Let's remember that a family has lost a child here. We will all log off tonight and go on our merry ways. They have to bury their child.

I read the article and also wondered why she kept him at the tournament...but cmon...how many times do teenagers and adults CONTINUE their every day routine to include sports and not blink an eye when they cough or get a scratchy throat?

How many have teenage boys who are on football teams. During two a days, what happens if the boy "coughs"...does the coach send him home & tell him to eat lots of chicken soup???

The boy shows up again and again and again and practices b/c the cough is far less important than his placement on the team at this point in his life.

This new flu strain is a huge wakeup call to parents and our way of living.

Sorry, but it is NOT OKAY to go to school or the store or to WalMart or even work when you are sick. And not sure what it is going to take...how many people have to die...for this country to wake up & take infectious disease a little more seriously.

And honestly, things such as washing your hands, covering your mouth when you sneeze and STAYING HOME when you are sick would cut down on so, so much.

But people don't do it & they will not do it. Too many who are could care less, pay no attention, or b/c they have "never been sick" could care less.

What a story that is being heard too much lately.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 PM

214 posts, read 564,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnincorporatedResident View Post
While this is a sad story the CDC has PR people and they do their jobs pretty well. They acknowledged that there is an epidemic and THATS why they do not want to continue to waste the money in that aspect. Whether the numbers are overstated or not they would rush to make ANY news public just because of everyone's reactions. Here in Atlanta the CDC did various studies where people were randomly selected and tested. They also had open studies. None of these results were ever published to my knowledge but I do still have the flyers. They are a shady bunch but look at their title Centers for Disease Control. Its about the virus more than the people.
The truth has been spoken. Let's just say, any reputable researcher (MD, MD/PhD, PhD, etc) does not obtain their data from the CDC.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
People die every year from the flu. These cases are only being covered by the media because of the H1N1 hype.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:28 PM

214 posts, read 564,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessnATL View Post
The truth has been spoken. Let's just say, any reputable researcher (MD, MD/PhD, PhD, etc) does not obtain their data from the CDC.
And please do not get me wrong. . .there are those who operate within the CDC who care. But, unfortunately, their opinions are often disregarded.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:18 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,062,133 times
The thing with this is you have to watch your kids carefully so that if they are NOT getting better you go back to the doctor, even if it is 2 or more times.

I saw something that said it goes to the lungs (pneumonia) often in kids and this is what happened to my son. We were sick in September (he got it first, then us). I assume it was H1N1 because of the symptoms and what they said about it recently (what to look for).

Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,978,502 times
1,000 people have died from H1N1 in the United States. Every year, an average of 36,000 Americans die from the normal flu. That certainly puts this H1N1 scare into perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting