Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Yeah, people-- particularly at schools-- complain about parents who aren't involved, who don't go to teachers' conferences or volunteer at Scouts or soccer. Then they pull out "helicopter mom" for those who do.
there is a lot of area in between being involved and attending conferences, and going to college to do your kids laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 11:50 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,335 times
Sounds like my wife. I only imagine it will worsen when my daughter gets older.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
I am not a big fan of Helicopter Moms. Their goal in life seems to be to make themselves feel like better moms than everyone else. Yeah, knock yourself out. I am much more of a freeranger myself. Keep them safe, but let them explore too. I want my kids to have a fun, safe childhood, and end up as confident, assertive adults, not be scared of everything.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
thanks for all the replies- I am definitely not a helicopter mom but I think my 17 year old thinks I am. I occassionally ask about her grades if she's done her HW and remind her of things every now and then she always says " Mom I am 17 not 5 anymore" so I have tried to back off- i have never emailed teachers about how they are doing unless there is a problem- luckily none so far- I have raised them alone since they were 3 and 5 and hope they turn out alright- Dad was a deadbeat dad etc and actually died this summer. they seem fien about it. I found this board earlier this year and really it is helpful to get answers and opinions- although so many have different ones...

Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
LOL - sounds like your 17 y.o. is, well, being 17
Asking after them occasionally does not a helicoptor parent make....no matter what they would have you believe.....

(BTW - Just wait until they are 18 and think that makes them fully independent adults - for the "fun" things anyway.....)

Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Oh my god I think I might be a helicopter mom cause I do my sons laundry and help him with different things like cooking for him . He knows how to cook he says it just doed not taste the same . LOL !!! oh wow now I must resign myself to the fact that I am a helicopter mom .

Old 10-30-2009, 02:38 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think children need a transition prior to going away to college. It's not like you can control every single aspect of their lives until they turn the magical age of 18 and expect them to know how to take care of themselves. If a child is a good kid, I think it's important to back off at 17 and allow them the freedom to decide where they are going and who they will hang out with. No more requiring permission for the normal activities. Just except them to let you know where they are, who they are with and when they will be home----as adults living together do.
17 is a little late for them to be making decisions too. It is something that should start at birth. My sister is the poster child for helicopter parenting-even as a newborn the kids were not allowed to be done eating until she thought they should be done, and it only got worse from there. Her 8th grader is not allowed to pick out her clothing each day-mom has to go into her closet and pick everything out for her before she is allowed to get dressed in the morning. If they wake up before Mom and Dad they are not allowed to leave their bedrooms and go downstairs...poor kids.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
17 is a little late for them to be making decisions too. It is something that should start at birth.
Agreed. I never said they shouldn't be making decisions when younger. I just think that children should be making almost all of their own decisions when they are 17, while they are living with their parents to offer guidance or help them deal with a bad decision after-the-fact. You just can't control them until 18 and expect them to handle it. It's important to let children make mistakes.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Again, please note some of us have developmentally delayed children. My son is a bright, smart kid with a sunny personality and nary a nasty bone in his body but he needs 'to be kept on task.'

He also needs to be directed and supervised. I have to check over his homework folder, make sure he has all his papers, and whatever.

Am I a helicopter mom? I don't think so. And you know what, if someone thinks I am, who cares anyhow?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Again, please note some of us have developmentally delayed children. My son is a bright, smart kid with a sunny personality and nary a nasty bone in his body but he needs 'to be kept on task.'

He also needs to be directed and supervised. I have to check over his homework folder, make sure he has all his papers, and whatever.

Am I a helicopter mom? I don't think so. And you know what, if someone thinks I am, who cares anyhow?

that is different- if your son needs the extra help- that is fine- i think we are talking about overprotective parents not letting their children out from under their wing- for example there is a thread going on here about when to let kids go trick or treating with adult supervision-some say not until they are 16- 16 year olds shouldn't be trick or treating ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting