Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:18 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,858,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Last time I talked to someone about it, there was a military rate flat rate box. It was cheaper than priority mail and, like the flat rate boxes, you can stuff it full of stuff for one flat rate (something around $10).

Its a great deal because I remember how expensive sending anything to an APO that had any sort of weight to it was before these boxes came out.
I'll have to look into that. I have a son who is still in training for the next couple of months, but after training he will most likely get deployed to either Iraq or Afganistan and we will be sending him plenty of care packages. Thanks for the heads up on those boxes.

There are going to be free shipping vouchers coming out in 2010 and the military men and women in Iraq or Afganistan will get one about every 2 months. They can use them themselves or send them home for their family or a charity (like the USO) to use. At least that is how I understood the info. I read concerning the vouchers. I'm sure more clear info. will be out once the vouchers start getting handed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,664 times

Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM

116 posts, read 326,075 times
LOL!! I think its a grea idea to save the "awful" candy...like the sweet tarts, tootsie roll pops and the horrible smarties for the teenagers...and the kids who don't dress up (because even if you can't afford a costume...you can afford some $2 make-up...hey if I had to brave the stores and sell a kidney to buy halloween candy..you can at least dress up).

As far as restriction...we don't have kids...so I dont have to worry about that quite yet.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I'll have to look into that. I have a son who is still in training for the next couple of months, but after training he will most likely get deployed to either Iraq or Afganistan and we will be sending him plenty of care packages. Thanks for the heads up on those boxes.

There are going to be free shipping vouchers coming out in 2010 and the military men and women in Iraq or Afganistan will get one about every 2 months. They can use them themselves or send them home for their family or a charity (like the USO) to use. At least that is how I understood the info. I read concerning the vouchers. I'm sure more clear info. will be out once the vouchers start getting handed out.
Those vouchers sound great.

I will relate my funny "we need you to send this" story.

My husband and his team packed up everything on a pallet to ship over there (they have a lot of equipment). They included a lot of coffee beans and an espresso maker. It got shipped off, they got on their civilian leg of air travel up to where they would get on a military flight. I got an urgent call from his first layover to PLEASE go to the store and pick up a coffee bean grinder and send it right away!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Leftover Halloween Candy for the Troops

www.operationshoebox.com

Old 11-04-2009, 07:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Trick or treating for UNICEF was something I did in my youth but I haven't seen that in years. Do they still do that?
My girls are only 7 years old so I don't know if they are even eligible to participate but when they are old enough I will look into that. I think they will enjoy that as they are both from very poor countries and are aware many children aren't as lucky as they are.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:56 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Myself, I think there should be no age restrictions on trick or treating. Even senior citizens are welcome to my house on Halloween. It would be nice to see a few of them in costume.

I was so ashamed of my neighborhood this year, so very few giving out candy, that I found myself apologizing to those that came to my door for my selfish neighborhood.

Next year, if there are as many darkened houses on my street, I'm going to not only pass out candy, but a small bar of soap as well, and I may even join in the fun as well.

When I was trick or treating back in the late 50's, everyone passed out candy on our block, they had no choice: give, or wash your windows the next day or rake the toilet tissue from your trees.

I don't have any children, and I had no candy leftover. Every piece gone.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:23 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
We ate it all when we were growing up. Well, first we would get home. My middle sister and I would go on separate parts of the table to keep the candy apart and dump it out. Then we went through it. From a young age I would discard the homemade or unwrapped candy. My parents never told me to, but I always remember thinking it could be poisoned. It was probably on the news. Then, my sister and I would give each other the candy the other person didn't like. It was a free for all after that. However, we didn't eat it all at once. We paced ourselves.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:42 AM

434 posts, read 933,435 times
I eat them all every year!

Candy makes me happy...and so what...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,272,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvet2006 View Post
LOL!! I think its a grea idea to save the "awful" candy...like the sweet tarts, tootsie roll pops and the horrible smarties for the teenagers...and the kids who don't dress up (because even if you can't afford a costume...you can afford some $2 make-up...hey if I had to brave the stores and sell a kidney to buy halloween candy..you can at least dress up).

As far as restriction...we don't have kids...so I dont have to worry about that quite yet.
tootsie roll pops and smarties - "awful???" We love those!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting