Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,068,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you read my post about being taken to court? You can only have that mindset if you're willing to collect doctor's excuses for even minor illnesses.
If he is not better, we will go to the doctor tomorrow. We saw a doctor 2 times for the last illness in September so we can have proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,752 times
Hopes, that depends on the district. We homeschool, so it's not an issue for us, but we hosted a foreign exchange student a few years ago and had to deal with the school system. There was no magic number of days that the kids could miss... as long as a parent called or sent in a note, the absences were "excused." Unexcused absences could have consequences, but not excused ones.

Health trumps school politics, IMO. I would not send my kids to school sick, period.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
If he is not better, we will go to the doctor tomorrow. We saw a doctor 2 times for the last illness in September so we can have proof.
I'm not doubting he's sick. I'm just warning you to check your state laws. I'm sure he hasn't missed enough days for it to be a problem yet. However, it's the start of the school year, and you could go over the limit if it's a bad year for your son illness-wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Hopes, that depends on the district. We homeschool, so it's not an issue for us, but we hosted a foreign exchange student a few years ago and had to deal with the school system. There was no magic number of days that the kids could miss... as long as a parent called or sent in a note, the absences were "excused." Unexcused absences could have consequences, but not excused ones.
It depends on the state laws. Parent's notes only count as excused absences when the child hasn't missed too many days. When they miss more than the amount permitted by law, parent's notes don't count. Your state might be different, but that's why I'm warning people to become aware if they are only now beginning to keep their children home for everything like common colds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Health trumps school politics, IMO. I would not send my kids to school sick, period.
I'm not saying people should send their children to school sick. I'm warning people to be aware of their state laws.

Some states don't allow children to progress to the next grade level or graduate their senior year if they miss over a certain number of days.

Doctor's excuses can protect parents and children from those ramifications. Parent's notes can't because there are deadbeat parents who write notes.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My son is in 6th grade and already missed 2 weeks earlier this year thanks to H1N1/pneumonia.

Well he was cranky all weekend and had some cold symptoms. Today (Happy Monday) he woke up with a borderline fever of 99.7/99.9. I am choosing to keep him home today because he's coughing and has a runny nose.

Last year he was only sick 1 day the whole school year but this year...well, like I said...

It's so hard to decide when they are like this should you send them or not. Do you guys have this problem? My husband said I should have sent him but it's not his problem (I am home all day and I am the caregiver).
You keep him home. He is not feeling well & has a low grade fever to prove it...his body is fighting something probably very simple...but when children are not given the rest/nourishment/time they need to heal from the SMALL things, it can turn into big things.

He JUST got over pneummonia/H1N1. I could care less if he misses another day or even another week. The health of the child far outweights anything right now. His immune system was obviously not up to par when he returned & hence caught another bug. Happens all the time...but I wouldn't mess around with pneummonia, even for a few weeks after.

I think some years are like this; kids home a lot with colds/sniffles/runny noses/low grade fevers and other years they are sick maybe one or two days.

H1N1 can be a great learning tool for parents and children alike if we are willing to accept some of the things that it is trying to teach us.

Common sense & intuition.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 AM

Thanks for all replies. I don't want to appear snarky to any of you. His fever went up so yeah, mom knows best. I just hope it goes down and he doesn't have that H1N1 (I believe we all had that in September/October).

Ever since he had pneumonia I am extra paranoid.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 AM

31 posts, read 47,682 times
If you send him in sick, he's not functioning at a normal level in his classes and is going to risk spreading his illness to his peers and teachers. Speaking from experience in a physician's office, if they've got a fever over one hundred Fahrenheit, a persistent cough, or diarrhea, keep them home. If they've got two or more symptoms, such as sneezing and runny nose, you judge the severity and your willingness to send them. If any symptoms persist for more than three days without lessening, see the doctor. If your child repeatedly gets ill with the same condition, you might be able to get your physician to write a general note for the school telling them he will not be in when exhibiting a specific list of symptoms. It will take three or more occurrences of the same illness.

Going to court: if you are concerned you will be and don't have doctor's notes or copies of the child's records, keep the receipts from your pharmacy for over the counter meds and a notebook on when/how they were sick, and for how long.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnbird View Post
Going to court: if you are concerned you will be and don't have doctor's notes or copies of the child's records, keep the receipts from your pharmacy for over the counter meds and a notebook on when/how they were sick, and for how long.
Good advice.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:10 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
As a fellow parent, I thank you for keeping your child home where he doesn't infect his peers.

And Hopes, many school systems have stated that, due to the increased chance of flu-related absences, they're not sticking to a specific number of excused absence days.

Ultimately, common sense needs to prevail. Sounds like it did. Good job, GS.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
You did the right thing, Gypsy.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
As a fellow parent, I thank you for keeping your child home where he doesn't infect his peers.

And Hopes, many school systems have stated that, due to the increased chance of flu-related absences, they're not sticking to a specific number of excused absence days.

Ultimately, common sense needs to prevail. Sounds like it did. Good job, GS.
I'm not saying that parents shouldn't keep their children home.

I'm warning them to make sure they cover their legal risks.

The accumulated days usually didn't start bringing threats until February or March.

By that time, it's too late if someone didn't bother to collect and save acceptable documentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting