U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2007, 09:39 AM

3,570 posts, read 7,776,403 times

Advertisements

At what age did you tell your kids about the birds and the bees? I realize that every child matures at a different rate and can only process so much at a certain age. My daughter is a little past 8 years old and this morning I got the impression that it might be time to talk about sex. I approached the subject and she got very uncomfortable with me. So I know this is something she and her mother will have to discuss privately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:23 AM

652 posts, read 2,411,310 times
I have talked a little here and there with both of my kids as they started asking questions. IMO the "big" discussions should be left to the same sex parent but the opposite sex parent also needs to be involved. Dad has recently started having small conversations with our 11 yr old girl. She doesnt want to hear much from either one of us so we take lots of opportunities for 5-10 min converstations. I dont know if this is the right approach but so far it is working.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,082,949 times
Oddly enough, not only did I talk to my daughter, (I think she was about the same age), but I also talked to my son. His first talk, (and they always started with small bits of info), was probably about when he was 7, because his older sister, (my husband's daughter from his first marriage), and her husband were expecting their first child at that time. His father also talked to him, but I have talked to him more. I don't think that my husband ever really broached the subject with our daughter. I found that casual conversations, usually in the car, (a captive audience, heh, heh), were the best time to talk to my kids, actually about all sorts of subjects. My son is now 20, and we still talk. But, I am fortunate that I am very close to both of my children.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:12 AM

1,372 posts, read 4,755,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
At what age did you tell your kids about the birds and the bees? I realize that every child matures at a different rate and can only process so much at a certain age. My daughter is a little past 8 years old and this morning I got the impression that it might be time to talk about sex. I approached the subject and she got very uncomfortable with me. So I know this is something she and her mother will have to discuss privately.
whenever they ask a question Hoosier
answer it as delicately as you can
do not think it is anyone elses responsibilty (not saying you do)
if you think that you cannot get to a proper answer for them
tell them you will have to get back to them on it
discuss it with your wife and brainstorm your approach for the answer

there is no certain age
they will let you know when they need answers

Old 05-11-2007, 11:51 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,840,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
My first child was turning 5 when I was pregant with my second....this of course brought up questions. So I answered them matter of factly in detail and with pictures. No problem. Then a few years later at 8 he had a few more questions...answered them again no problem. Then this year (he was 10) he finally asked the big question..."How does the sperm get into the mommy to get to the egg?" This is the one I had very nicely avoided. So I answered again very matter of factly explaining exactly what intercourse was and how the egg and sperm get together. His response was, "That's just gross mommy." Well hopefully he still thinks that for a few more years or so...he will be 11 on Sunday.

This is a good book to help in the explanations: What's the Big Secret?: Talking about Sex with Girls and Boys, by Laurene Krasny Brown

There are others as well and I suggest you get one for the illustrations...a picture can be worth many uncomfortable words.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,167,269 times
I think it's different with girls

My family our women start their periods early - my mom was 9 (I was 10)

So we needed to know about the birds and bees and EXACTLY what was going to happen to our body BEFORE it appeared.

So I knew EVERYTHING by age 8 (my mom was worried I'd start at 9 years old like her) At that young I knew what my body would do and what is was made for. It's scary - but back in the 50s when mom was clueless and her period started every month - she thought she was dying and NOBODY would talk to her about it - she felt so alone. And she wasn't going to let that happen to me

Now my best friend who has an 11 year old daughter hasn't told her a THING! And it makes me furious the way she avoids it. Her daughter found one of my tampons on a visit to their house and she SCREAMED and cried when I told her what it was for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting