U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 11:22 AM

28,006 posts, read 46,465,612 times

Advertisements

Parents of Brain Cancer Girl Find Notes Hidden in Sock Drawers, CDs After Death.

Brooke and Keith Desserich of Cincinnati, Ohio, were told their daughter Elena had 135 days to live. She beat her diagnosis by 121 days.

But during that time, as she fought the cruelest form of pediatric brain cancer, 5-year-old Elena left a powerful legacy.

Child With Brain Tumor Leaves Notes For Family After Death - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,211,092 times
What a terribly sad, but hopeful story. I really hope that more people jump on this and that this child's death will be for not. I don't understand why so little research goes into finding cures and treatments for children with cancer. Like was mentioned in the article, children are a lot tougher and more resiliant than we think and they can probably take more treatments and meds that could possibly cure them than most adults could. Scientists, doctors and researchers should try just as hard to save a child as they do an adult and who knows, like the article mentioned, if they can find a treatment or a cure that will work on a child, that treatment or cure could most likely work on an adult.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:20 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,456,362 times
Thanks for sharing this story. How brave Elena was with her illness. I don't think I could be even half as brave.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:43 PM

897 posts, read 2,100,853 times
I saw this story on the Today show and it was so touching- I hope that they keep finding notes for a long time- what a neat little girl....

Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 PM

691 posts, read 2,022,878 times
For one year, I taught school to home bound children, who were often too sick to attend school due to medical issues. It was so heartbreaking for me I could not do it, and switched back to teaching at the school. That year, I went to four funerals of students. The worst thing to me, would to have a child with a disease like cancer. The precious ones always go home first.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:49 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,955,777 times
I saw that on Today and cried my eyes out. What a sweet child...

Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 PM

22,846 posts, read 21,907,827 times
What a bright girl, such a loss. A friend of mine died of cancer in elementary school. She was by far the prettiest, smartest and most friendly in the class. I always wondered why she was the one to go...

Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,406,816 times
I started tp read the link but just could not do it; even though it is approx 30 years ago that my daughrer, 3 1/2 died of a horrible horrible brain tumor, she too, in her own way, shared with me, mostly drawings however: rainbows and butterflies. "They know", they cannot express it as we do however, they know. And, if anyone has not read Children and Dying but Dr. Elisbeth Kubler-Ross, they should, certainly one should read Death & Dying by Dr. Ross. She was, apparently, initially considered "way out there", then a maverick with her findings, research and beliefs; and now, for the most part, we take Dr. Ross' knowledge matter of factly. Well, perhaps we do when it pertains to adults, children dying,, I don't know if we can every truly comprehend that happening.

However, I do believe children know what is happening; they do share in some way to express their love, what they "see" and in their own way, they do try to assure us, that "we" will be all right after they are gone.

It is the worst!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or