U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 PM

25,424 posts, read 24,209,514 times

Advertisements

We don't take our children to the movies yet. We know better. It's definitely not going to be any fun for them, either. It's dark, loud with flashing screaming images on a screen and about a bajillion strangers sitting shoulder-to-shoulder with them and they're supposed to sit still for 90 minutes? NOT happening.

We have a huge DVD collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,725,889 times
If you noticed, I wrote this post back in May. We recently went to watch Eastern Promises, a rated R film, and it happened AGAIN. I have no tolerance for children in rated R moves - an infant nonetheless. I was seriously tempted to give those people my phone number, ask them to leave and to give me a call when they want a free babysitter so I can watch the movie in peace. I was so p-issed. Maybe it's just my fault. I'll never learn I guess. *frown*

Old 09-30-2007, 03:28 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,944,230 times
Foma, I do not blame you at all, I mean my husband I have not gone to a movie in over 3yrs( thank God and my parents for netflix) we are planning to take are busy son to his first movie when he turns 4 and I know it will be at the dollar theater during school and most bussiness hours so we do not bug anyone ( I ahve a hard enough time sitting through a movie myself)

Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 AM

658 posts, read 2,188,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
The past two movies I saw "Spider-man 3" (rated PG-13) and "300" (rated R) parents brought their infant babies and both times, the babies would start crying ... and crying and crying. I'm tired of this! They don't even take them out of the theatre ... they just let them cry and they're going, "Shhhh, shhhh," to the baby. So here we are in the love scene in "300" and to the side I'm hearing "Shhh, shhhh," ugh!

I'm sure I sound insensitive when I say this but come on moms and dads, is it really appropriate to bring your infant kid to a loud movie where it's almost impossible for them not to start crying?

Going to SP3, there were a lot of older kids, too, that shouldn't have been there, IMO, but every parent has the right to raise their kids how they want to raise them. If they think 4 and 5 year olds can go watch the movie, so be it, I'm ok with that. I even think it's cute that in sheer excitement they narrate what's happening to the characters in the movie while we're all watching the movie! I was probably a little sarcastic in this paragraph but honestly, I am OK with it, if it's an appropriate movie.

I'm not even going to start about teenagers and their behaviour in theatres nowadays! Am I being waaaaay to insensitive here about parents bringing their babies? I know it's hard to get a baby-sitter and all that but with movies coming out in 6 months on DVD nowadays, can't you guys wait just a little longer so the rest of us can watch our movies in peace?

Oh boy ... I can feel the angry messages I'm about to get ....
why would you bring your baby to a movie theater in the first place arent the parents woried that there child could have hearing problems because its so loud

Old 09-30-2007, 09:52 AM

3,160 posts, read 9,505,169 times
Back in the ancient times movie theaters had "cry rooms" where parents with small kids could watch the movie in a glassed in place without worrying. Guess that must be too expensive for today.

I don't go to theaters anymore because of all the jerks who talk, kick my seat, snuffle, tall people who sit right in front of me, etc. Watching a DVD in peace is better for me.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:46 PM

9,444 posts, read 15,001,505 times
I think bringing young babies to the movies is completely inappropriate. The whole act is disrespectful towards other people's right to enjoy their time out.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,982,866 times
One thing the UK got right is its film rating system. Most of the movies I went to see were rated 12, 15, or 18. That means nobody under 12, 15, or 18 allowed...no exceptions! No babies, no young children at any hour of the day. U (equivalent to G), PG, and 12-A (younger than 12 allowed with parent/guardian) were a different story...but we never went to those.

It was outstanding being able to see a movie in the middle of the day on a Saturday and not have to worry about people bringing screaming babies to the movies. I wish the USA would adopt UK film rating standards. It would kick so much butt.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:30 AM

13,065 posts, read 21,193,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
If you noticed, I wrote this post back in May. We recently went to watch Eastern Promises, a rated R film, and it happened AGAIN. I have no tolerance for children in rated R moves - an infant nonetheless. I was seriously tempted to give those people my phone number, ask them to leave and to give me a call when they want a free babysitter so I can watch the movie in peace. I was so p-issed. Maybe it's just my fault. I'll never learn I guess. *frown*
When a kid is acting up, the parents have exactly 2 minutes to vacate the screening room before I get up myself and talk to the management. They will send in an usher and have the offending party removed from the theater. You could check with the cinemas in your area what their policy is for unruly, noisy disruptions. Some places will give you a voucher to come back at another time if your experience is spoiled. I have a friend who actually demands and gets vouchers whenever she sees a movie that tuens out to be a total dud - you just have to know how to ask for things.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,306,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
I don't go to theaters anymore because of all the jerks who talk, kick my seat, snuffle, tall people who sit right in front of me, etc. Watching a DVD in peace is better for me.
I agree. The people who use their cell phones, chow down on 4 snacks (can't go without eating for 2 hours??), get up a lot to go to the bathroom, and just plain dominate the arm rest are also very annoying.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 AM

3,589 posts, read 2,982,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I agree. The people who use their cell phones, chow down on 4 snacks (can't go without eating for 2 hours??), get up a lot to go to the bathroom, and just plain dominate the arm rest are also very annoying.
I get up a lot to use the bathroom, but I have a bladder condition. If I see the theater is crowded, I choose a seat on the aisle so I don't have to climb all over people. Believe me, it's WAY more annoying for me than it is for you...because I'm missing parts of the movie that I paid to see while I'm enslaved to a condition that has no cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or