Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:27 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I get up a lot to use the bathroom, but I have a bladder condition. If I see the theater is crowded, I choose a seat on the aisle so I don't have to climb all over people. Believe me, it's WAY more annoying for me than it is for you...because I'm missing parts of the movie that I paid to see while I'm enslaved to a condition that has no cure.
I wonder how sometimes people get offended by statements that are not directed at them. Quite honestly if someone has a medical condition, no one would object to them going to the bathroom. I wasn't 'looking to criticize' anyone.

Don't take it personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I wonder how sometimes people get offended by statements that are not directed at them. Quite honestly if someone has a medical condition, no one would object to them going to the bathroom. I wasn't 'looking to criticize' anyone.

Don't take it personally.
Well...you did say people who get up to go to the bathroom are annoying, and you don't know that the people traipsing up and down the aisles don't have a condition. I just thought it was a bit insensitive...people may be annoyed by my coming and going, but *I* am annoyed by having to ration my fluid intake all day long so I can pee twice an hour instead of 5-6 times an hour...having to deal with constant pain and discomfort...and knowing the whole time that there is absolutely nothing that can be done and it will only get worse as I get older.

Hard NOT to take it personally really.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:50 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Well...you did say people who get up to go to the bathroom are annoying, and you don't know that the people traipsing up and down the aisles don't have a condition. I just thought it was a bit insensitive...people may be annoyed by my coming and going, but *I* am annoyed by having to ration my fluid intake all day long so I can pee twice an hour instead of 5-6 times an hour...having to deal with constant pain and discomfort...and knowing the whole time that there is absolutely nothing that can be done and it will only get worse as I get older.

Hard NOT to take it personally really.
I meant more like those folks who drink mega sodas (those huge movie sodas) and keep passing snacks around like they will not survive without eating THEN they get up in front and keep going in and out of the theatre.

I am sorry you have a medical problem. I understand it must be very difficult for you.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I meant more like those folks who drink mega sodas (those huge movie sodas) and keep passing snacks around like they will not survive without eating THEN they get up in front and keep going in and out of the theatre.

I am sorry you have a medical problem. I understand it must be very difficult for you.
I don't like it when people climb all over me for any reason really, so I feel your pain there.

I hate the ones who sneak out in the middle of the movie and come back reeking of cigarette smoke...and I'm a smoker!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM

115 posts, read 310,146 times
I have four kids and I am so sick of people allowing their children, regardless of age, to infringe upon the rights of others.
I am more bothered by the teens who know better than a small infant. However if you are planning on going to a movie, be considerate and get a sitter.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
I have kids and this would annoy me too. I never would have taken my kids to a movie and that age. Even now, the rare times I take them is always to an age appropriate movie matinee.
Not to hijack this thread but it's also quite annoying to bring kids to a late dinner at a nice restaurant. If I'm going to take the kids out to eat, we are there by 6 pm at the very latest. We are almost always gone by the time the evening diners show up. It is very rare that we get a babysitter and go out for an evening meal to a nice restaurant as a couple. When we do, there is nothing worse that having kids in the dining room. I've seen it even at 10 pm. Those kids should be home in bed, not out annoying other diners trying to have a romantic evening.
Ok, rant done now.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
I love movies. And there's only one way to enjoy a movie....and that is uninterupted.

No running to the refreshment stand, to go use the restroom, to play video games in the lobby and certainly no coming in 20 minutes late....I just sit my but in the seat and watch the movie begining to end.

I also cannot stand rude movie interuptors. People near me weirdly laughing and making audible comments throughout the movie, kids running around yelling and throwing popcorn and other candy, people spilling their fountain drinks and other food because they were careless...and finally people who bring small toddlers and infants to movies....movies that are clearly not made for them. That is extremely inconsiderate for not only the other people who came to see a movie in peace but also for the children. They don't want to be there. They are unwilling participants and therefore they are going to make a ruckus. I'm sorry but if you want to see it that bad just get a sitter for them or wait until it comes out on DVD.

As a general rule my kids will not go to see a movie in a theater until they are at least 3 yrs old...and even then it's going to be something like Finding Nemo. That's tough luck for me. I don't get to see a lot of movies in the theater. I really want to go see the new Batman movie but I can't seem to make it work right now.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:31 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Not only does it infuriate me when people bring babies to movies, I get disgusted when they bring very young children to age-inappropriate films.
It's just not fair to the baby or the toddler.
And it never fails that the movie will reach a certain dramatic climax, whether action-filled or soft-spoken, and that's when Junior begins howling or whining or whatever.
Get a babysitter, or don't go.
YES - why on Earth do some people bring little children to some of these R rated movies!!! SHOCKS me!!!

The only movie I would take a baby to is a child type movie and leave if they got loud - same with my toddler - if your going to an adult move - GET A SITTER or stay home!

Also TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE!! unbelieve able how many cell phones ring and even more amazing is how many people answer and have a full conversation!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,055,167 times
I remember I went to the movies and this lady brought a few month old baby. The baby was gooing and gaaing. At first people thought it was cute. But then the baby kept doing it through out the previews. Then the movie was beginning. And the baby was getting louder. Everyone kinda kept waiting for them to leave. The lady just kept saying to the baby to Shh. (Like the baby understands what is going on!!!) Then this guy went up to her and started telling her to get the f out of the theater. That she should hire a babysitter. She was cursing back at him. I didnt blame the guy for being mad. Thankfully she left. Btw the movie was an R rated movie.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
You are absolutely right to be annoyed. I have taken my kids to kids movies (nemo, brother bear, horton hears a who, alvin and the chipmunks, etc) but would not tolerate them screaming and crying. When I take them, i take them during the day when there are mostly kids in the audience. I hear plenty of kids ooooohhhhing and ahhhhhhing so it is not a problem. I would never take them to an evening or age-inappropriate movie. Esp. where there are adult movie-goers.

Infants should not be at the movie theater anyway, it is waaaay too loud for their little eardrums. Who the hell would do that to their kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting