U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:32 PM

10,039 posts, read 14,346,493 times
I didn't notice anyone saying not to give kids a car because they were irresponsible, either. My opinion is that cars aren't an entitlement, they're a luxury (well, depends on where you live), and teens old enough and responsible enough to have a license should be beginning to make the transition to being personally responsible for themselves. Giving a kid a car outright doesn't foster a sense of entitlement in all kids, of course, but as a general practice I don't think it's the best option. If a kid really does need a car and the parents want to pay for it I like maciesmom's technique of letting her daughter know that she could use the car, but that it wasn't "hers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM

2,496 posts, read 5,534,517 times
I took over an used truck that was my father's when I got my license. They kept it in their name, and paid for insurance and the tag/title. I paid for gas. I wasn't an idiot--never got in an accident, or any sort of trouble with it--less one speeding ticket.

I would do the same for my own kids provided I could afford to.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:52 PM

10,074 posts, read 11,012,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If the kid must have a car for work or to really help out a parent, then the kid should earn the money for it and pay the parents in installments with interest.
I added the bold/underline for emphasis.

This makes no sense. Why would a child pay for a car that was being purchased for the convenience of a parent?

A child would have to work FULL TIME to make $10,000 per year at a job where he made $5 per hour after taxes. Is that really what we went for our teenagers?

Old 11-07-2009, 10:10 PM

42,403 posts, read 47,526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I didn't notice anyone saying not to give kids a car because they were irresponsible, either. My opinion is that cars aren't an entitlement, they're a luxury (well, depends on where you live), and teens old enough and responsible enough to have a license should be beginning to make the transition to being personally responsible for themselves. Giving a kid a car outright doesn't foster a sense of entitlement in all kids, of course, but as a general practice I don't think it's the best option. If a kid really does need a car and the parents want to pay for it I like maciesmom's technique of letting her daughter know that she could use the car, but that it wasn't "hers."
I certainly didn't feel entitled when I got my car at 16. I didn't really view it as mine. I viewed it as an additional car my parents bought so there would be enough cars for me to do errands and taxi my sisters to their activities. I think you can avoid the who entitlement problem if you adjust the way it's presented. It doesn't have to be GIVEN to the 16 year old, but merely another car added to the family to accomodate additional drivers. As others have mentioned, my parents weren't the only parents who WANTED me to drive so I could help out.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:15 PM

42,403 posts, read 47,526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
If the kid must have a car for work or to really help out a parent, then the kid should earn the money for it and pay the parents in installments with interest. Just like the real world, it will be upon them soon enough and they need to learn to handle it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I added the bold/underline for emphasis.

This makes no sense. Why would a child pay for a car that was being purchased for the convenience of a parent?

A child would have to work FULL TIME to make $10,000 per year at a job where he made $5 per hour after taxes. Is that really what we went for our teenagers?
I totally agree, Momma Bear. Even buying a car because a child needs it for work is helping out a parent in itself. Driving a teenager back and forth to work gets very difficult for parents. It's not like taking them to activities where they can be late. Many parents need their teens to work to learn responsibility or to start taking on some financial responsibilities to lift the burden from the family finances. I think it's nitpicking to say the teen should pay for the car. The teen's money can be put towards something more managable---like clothing and other individual expenses---to help out financially.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:40 AM

20,798 posts, read 31,338,303 times
Our DS17 has pretty much unlimited access to one of our cars. He needs to drive to school because he takes a class at another high school in our district (Japanese) and needs to get himself back and forth. We don't technically make him pay anything for gas, insurance, etc. as all of his money goes into the bank for college. In return for this access he also does a lot of errand running, carpooling, etc. for us. It works out quite well for us. Our twins will have the same unlimited access to that car-except there will be 2 drivers and not one . They will then be able to drive themselves to various activities, etc. and save us the time and hassle of doing that .

We would rather they spend their money on college vs a car so their goal is to get as much money saved for college, do well in school so they qualify for scholarships, etc. so they can pay for the majority of their college.

We KNOW our DS is a safe and cautious driver. Our insurance company has a new driver program where they install a camera system in the car and it reports driving habits back to the parents. We had an entire year of this monitoring (his first year of driving) and my DH set the camera off more then our DS .

Our state also had some restrictions on driving. Kids can get their permits at 15, have to be 16 AND have their permit for at least 6 months before they can get a license. They have to have 30 hours of classroom instruction, 6 hours of behind the wheel with a certified instructor, 30 hours of behind the wheel with parents (10 of which have to be at night). Once they get their license they can only have 1 non-related driver in the car for the first 6 months and then only 3 for the next 6 months, ALL cell phone use is illegal.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:51 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,767,550 times
At 15, having my own car was easily the greatest thing that had happened in my life, to that point. A 15, 16, 17 year old who doesn't have a car (but all his/her friends do) basically lives in a state of mental anguish and arrested social development.

I spent every penny I had on a down payment - had a part-time job, played football & lifted year-round, played basketball, ran track, and went to school.. and there is no way in hell I could have afforded a car (vehicle + insurance + taxes + gas) by myself.

Of course I think every parent should make their own decision, but I have a hard time understanding a parent who doesn't want their kid driving, or expects their kid to pay 100% of the costs of a vehicle.

Last edited by le roi; 11-08-2009 at 05:01 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 06:57 AM

25,223 posts, read 16,421,672 times
by "to help out a parent" I meant to say to help a parent who is saving money for the kid's education. In other words, if a parent is working extra hours or a 2nd job to send the kid to college, and isn't available to run the kid to extra activities after school, the kid should pay some of the car's expense. Is that so unreasonable?

That is what we did. We could make so much more per hour than he could so we chose to let us use our time earning college money and handed over some of the chauffeuring duties to him and asked him to help with gas, repairs and other costs. He was working part time and making straight A's. He also worked hard to earn scholarships .
And we charged 1% interest on purchase of our older car just so he could learn how interest works. This was after he graduated college.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:08 AM

16,972 posts, read 11,904,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
At 15, having my own car was easily the greatest thing that had happened in my life, to that point. A 15, 16, 17 year old who doesn't have a car (but all his/her friends do) basically lives in a state of mental anguish and arrested social development....

Isn't simply BEING a 15-17 y.o "living in a state of mental anguish and arrested social development" anyway?? Seriously. Not having a car might be inconvenient (and even embarrassing) but people HAVE survived, lived to talk about it and gone on to live healthy and productive lives...

Old 11-08-2009, 07:35 AM

25,223 posts, read 16,421,672 times
yeah---what she said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting