Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

That's some freaky stuff, flik_becky!

After being raised by someone so unstable, I'm glad you had the sense to protect your daughter.

Your sister better get a wake up call soon!

And I hope your brother somehow managed to become a healthy and happy adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 04:49 PM

378 posts, read 1,063,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LAS VEGAS - Katherine Asbery was so depressed that her third child was a boy, she wouldn't even say the sex. She called him "not a girl," and spent hours crying.

It’s a boy? Disappointment plagues some moms - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
What a pathetic ungrateful POS this woman is. I guess she never lost a child or pregnancy. She should just thank her lucky starts that she can get pregnant and bear children and that the children are HEALTHY. If she is that upset, I am sure there would be many people willing to adopt him and be thrilled that he's a boy!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:44 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
this is a little sad to me. i mean, does it matter what you are blessed with? so you can't buy little pink dresses. dont cry when one of your sons comes home telling you he is transgender though!

Old 11-14-2009, 05:49 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
LAS VEGAS - Katherine Asbery was so depressed that her third child was a boy, she wouldn't even say the sex. She called him "not a girl," and spent hours crying.

It’s a boy? Disappointment plagues some moms - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com
That's funny. I'm so blessed to have girls. I did not want a boy and I hope my children don't have boys.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The quote above from the article was exactly what I was going to post.

I wanted a girl, but my first born was a boy. I'm so thankful I allowed the professionals to tell me the sex from the sonogram. It did give me time to accept that I was having a boy. It wasn't that I didn't want a boy, but I was afraid I wouldn't know how to raise a boy. I came from a family of all girls. I just had no knowledge of boys whatsoever.

By knowing ahead of time, I didn't have to go through a shock when at risk of post partem depression. For this reason alone, I think any women who has a sex preference should definitely find out the sex as early as possible in the pregnancy. Post partem depression can make it more difficult to overcome. Knowing ahead of time avoids that problem.

And it's true---you do love them just as much. As matter of fact, I quickly realized how lucky I was to have a boy as my first born. I don't know if I could have handled a high maintenance girl without experience as a parent.
This is exactly my experience. I am so glad I knew ahead of time and didn't have that on top of everything else about being a new mother to deal with after the birth. so happens, my second and last was a boy too. I have "pangs of sadness" every once in a while when I realize I won't be picking out prom dresses or wedding dresses, or that I'll someday be the Mother In Law. But, really, it doesn't matter much. I love my boys, and I will try to be the best mother in law I can be!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
That's funny. I'm so blessed to have girls. I did not want a boy and I hope my children don't have boys.
I don't think it is funny at all. I think it is sad. Sad that a parent could carry such strong feelings for such a long time, and sad for the child especially. Especially flik-becky's story! I hope if you have grandson's you can get over yourself, and I hope they never know your feelings on the subject!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
This is exactly my experience. I am so glad I knew ahead of time and didn't have that on top of everything else about being a new mother to deal with after the birth. so happens, my second and last was a boy too. I have "pangs of sadness" every once in a while when I realize I won't be picking out prom dresses or wedding dresses, or that I'll someday be the Mother In Law. But, really, it doesn't matter much. I love my boys, and I will try to be the best mother in law I can be!
You'll be a MIL no matter which gender your kids are - assuming they marry....Now granted Mother of the Groom is not as prominent as MOB but at least you won't be paying for entire weddings, only rehearsal dinners and perhaps honeymoons?....LOL

Old 11-14-2009, 10:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,616 times
I feel so....

Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
I don't get this at all. I never wanted a girl, maybe because I'm selfish and I wanted my husband all for myself. If I had a daughter, she might steal his attention! I'm mostly joking... of course... But seriously, I am so glad I have all boys. They can share rooms without any problems, they like the same kinds of games, toys, and share clothes even. It's so much easier. It's also so nice to send the boys off with dad for things like haircuts or camping weekends... and I get my alone time to relax and chill. I love that they aren't fussy about what they wear or wanting to wear makeup and I don't have to worry about tampons and all that... I grew up with a single mom, single granma's, single aunts and sisters and so forth... so I feel so happy now to have a life with boys. I had enough of the female drama when I was younger. Boys rule!

(I also love how they are growing up so strong... I am constantly putting them to work for me. I'm sure girls could do this, too, but somehow it's nice being the only girl in the house - they take good care of me! Yes, I have a spoiled streak.... )

Old 11-15-2009, 05:04 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I FEEL SO BAD FOR ANY GRANDSONS YOU HAVE! Imagine their pain if their own granparent wants nothing to do with them thanks to their gender! I grew up with a father who prefered boys and it was very painful.

Last edited by flik_becky; 11-15-2009 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting