Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Obviously talking about masturbating during Spanish Class is not part of the curriculum, it's part of a kid goofing around with his friends, and it is inappropriate in school...and if you have any smarts and know teenage boys, it wouldn't surprise you that they said that. Give me a break.

I grew up in the 80's and there were much worse things shouted under the cloak of anonymity. Remember when a kid would drop something in the lunch room? Everyone..I mean almost every male in the room, would say "DIIIIIIII******, DIII********"" just to be a smart ass. Sometimes that would even be done behind teachers backs who said something we didn't like.

Would I not expect if a teacher heard me specifically saying that to at least get a detention period? Of course I would. "Permanent record?" It's a myth. If you start talking about suspensions and superintendents hearings, that's a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
"Permanent record?" It's a myth. If you start talking about suspensions and superintendents hearings, that's a different story.
Only after 9th grade. Transcripts only show 9th thru 12th grades.

Not all high schools include detentions, suspensions and other disciplinary actions during on a transcript, but many do.

Furthermore, anyone interested in going into the military should be aware that the military will have access to the school district's complete files on a student.

While it's unlikely the military will ever come to look at the files, you can be guaranteed that they will be reviewed for top secret clearances for soldiers under a certain age.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:10 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
1. Asking a friend if he masturbates in Spanish class, while an odd thing to ask, is not exactly criminal behavior. Actually masturbating in Spanish class would have me much more concerned, though.

2. Getting a detention in middle school is not going on his "permanent record."

3. There is no such thing as a "permanent record." Good grief. Have you ever seen your permanent record? Has an employer ever asked to see it? Have you ever been denied credit due to a detention that you got in eighth grade, or a piece of homework you neglected to do in tenth grade?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
I think the teacher should find out whether the student (your child was speaking to) has been masturbating in Spanish class... It seems to be what the question was, anyway.

Crazy teacher.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:20 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Am I the only one who had the passing thought that the reason this was brought up in the hall was because one or more of the boys thought the spanish teacher was hot? If that's the case, that makes it an entirely different discussion to be held....

Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
Its incredible what they teach them in school. I was shocked to hear my 13-year old daughter knew the word and concept. She said she learned it in school, along with a host of other things about sex, drugs, etc. The philosopy is they will hear it anyways, better from them than on the streets. Well, in the first place, my daughter doesn't hang out "on the streets" Second, I'm not a purde, I know kids hear things. and have a natural curosity, etc.

But to simply give them facts with no morality behind it is unacceptable, IMO. Next semester my daughter is going to Christian school, where at least they are given guidelines along with information. I will NOT have my kids be told "the facts of life" without any supporting morality behind it.

Like the OP said, they feed them this stuff, then are shocked when they hear it back. BTW, my daughter is in 7th grade, an honor roll student, and still doesn't know multipication tables, can't write a decent essay, but knows all about sex! Hmmm..........that's what I send her to school for?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:33 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Marylee54: "I was shocked to hear my 13-year old daughter knew the word and concept."

In Catholic school, at least in the '60's, we learned about it by 3rd grade. **LLL** Oh I worried about my soul's fate for awhile then gave up worrying about THAT aspect of my... "destiny".

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 11-17-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Its incredible what they teach them in school. I was shocked to hear my 13-year old daughter knew the word and concept. She said she learned it in school, along with a host of other things about sex, drugs, etc. The philosopy is they will hear it anyways, better from them than on the streets. Well, in the first place, my daughter doesn't hang out "on the streets" Second, I'm not a purde, I know kids hear things. and have a natural curosity, etc.

But to simply give them facts with no morality behind it is unacceptable, IMO. Next semester my daughter is going to Christian school, where at least they are given guidelines along with information. I will NOT have my kids be told "the facts of life" without any supporting morality behind it.

Like the OP said, they feed them this stuff, then are shocked when they hear it back. BTW, my daughter is in 7th grade, an honor roll student, and still doesn't know multipication tables, can't write a decent essay, but knows all about sex! Hmmm..........that's what I send her to school for?
Sounds like you have a couple of issues ...but first off, it is not the place of the public school to provide "supporting morality"....if that's what you are looking for then a private Christian school is probably a better choice for you. If your daughter is in 7th grade but can't multiply? That is ridiculous but honestly partially your fault. How did you not know this and why weren't you questioning it, moving her earlier, working with her at home?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sounds like you have a couple of issues ...but first off, it is not the place of the public school to provide "supporting morality"....if that's what you are looking for then a private Christian school is probably a better choice for you. If your daughter is in 7th grade but can't multiply? That is ridiculous but honestly partially your fault. How did you not know this and why weren't you questioning it, moving her earlier, working with her at home?
Ummm....did you REAd my post? I said she's an honor roll student, actually gets A's in math, so obviously, she's meeting THEIR standards, how is that MY fault? She can't multiply, still counts on her fingers, is an honor roll student, and knows all about drugs, sex, etc? Guess that's what she's supposed to know, she's meeting and exceeding their standards! I didn't even know they were teaching such subjects until she told me, its not like the get the parents to approve their curriculum, its state approved. So the state is happy with her progress, a 12-year old girl who knows all about mastrubation, oral sex, anal sex, IV drugs, but doesn't kmow the multipication tables? That's an honor roll student!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I did read your post but you obviously knew she didn't know her multiplication tables. That would have concerned me....

Hope the new school works out for you.

Last edited by maciesmom; 11-17-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting