U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2007, 07:20 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,280,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Hold her bottle or breastfeeding until take off and then give it to her again at landing. As for getting her a seat...do you think she will sleep in it? If not she will wind up on your lap for the flight anyway and you will have spent the money for nothing. I always tried to fly off times (really early or late) when they were babies so I could get the aisle and window and the middle was usually empty to strech out. You can bring your car seat and check it at the gate if there aren't any empty seats. If there are empty seats the airline attendants will let you use it with out charge. Good luck, don't be nervous it's much harder to fly with toddlers...they don't want to sit and they know how to say "no!" much louder!...LOL
Good luck on finding any flight that has empty seats. Those days are over with and have been for a long time. Airlines have cut their number of flights to what they know they can book completely full. Nowadays it is more common to have flights oversold and people getting bumped. Even going very early or very late does not help. We usually try to get the first flight of the day out and the latest coming back and they are FULL with people standing at the gate hoping someone does not make it. I have kids and love them dearly but I'll be honest, if someone did not book a seat for their child and took the aisle and window and left me w/ the middle and kept passing the child and their stuff back and forth I would not be a happy camper and I doubt anyone else would be either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 AM

3,684 posts, read 10,846,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Good luck on finding any flight that has empty seats. Those days are over with and have been for a long time. Airlines have cut their number of flights to what they know they can book completely full. Nowadays it is more common to have flights oversold and people getting bumped. Even going very early or very late does not help. We usually try to get the first flight of the day out and the latest coming back and they are FULL with people standing at the gate hoping someone does not make it. I have kids and love them dearly but I'll be honest, if someone did not book a seat for their child and took the aisle and window and left me w/ the middle and kept passing the child and their stuff back and forth I would not be a happy camper and I doubt anyone else would be either.
Really? I have flown with my kids and husband 4 times this past year and we have always managed to get on half empty flights...but like I said we fly at off times. Very early or very late. Now during the day I'm sure they are booked but my experience is early and late flights are never full. Of course we have only gone to Puerto Rico, Florida, New Orleans and California this past year...maybe those aren't popular flights?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,959,678 times
I flew with my daughter recently when she was 7 months old. The flight was about 1.5 hours. We did not buy a seat for her and held her on our laps. I nursed her during take-off and landing and she slept most of the flight. However, if she had been in the carseat, I do not think she would have slept. I think she would have cried because she wanted to be held. We gate checked the carseat, but would have brought it on if there was an extra seat open.

Another thing to think about is to change the diaper right before boarding, as there is no good place on a plane to do it.

Another thing you will want to keep in mind is the new regulations on carrying liquids on-board. I've heard way too many stories of people who were told they could only bring one bottle through security or two jars of baby food, while other people have been able to bring as many bottles and jars as they needed. If you are bringing formula, they may make you mix it at security, and if you are bringing breastmilk you may have trouble bringing ice-packs to keep it cold. Etc, etc. Think about anything that you would want that could be construed as a liquid, including wipes and diaper cream and other items.

I would think about what you need, call ahead to the airline and check if that will be okay, and ask them to fax you a letter confirming that it's okay and then you can bring the letter with you in case someone gives you a hard time. Though, it still may not help you if they really want to give you a hard time. I did this to get a letter saying I would be permitted to breastfeed on the plane and they made a note on the passenger list by my name to that effect, because there have been three cases on three different airlines of women being harrassed by flight attendants and even kicked off of flights for breastfeeding, and I didn't want it to happen to me.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,280,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Really? I have flown with my kids and husband 4 times this past year and we have always managed to get on half empty flights...but like I said we fly at off times. Very early or very late. Now during the day I'm sure they are booked but my experience is early and late flights are never full. Of course we have only gone to Puerto Rico, Florida, New Orleans and California this past year...maybe those aren't popular flights?
We have flown to California, Florida, Arizona, Mexico, Houston, Atlanta, etc in the last year and on every single flight it has been PACKED w/ people waiting standby. We also travel very early and very late.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,530,852 times
I fly for free if there is an empty seat. I can tell you that for the past couple of years, my term pass has been worthless. I have been buying tickets instead. Capacity is down. Load factors are up. Make it easy on yourself, and everybody else on the plane. Buy the kid a seat.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 PM

4,963 posts, read 3,934,893 times
We have flown to Ireland several times with our boys. The first time one went he was 6 months and I held him as we were going for a funeral and there was no spare seats. He did fine. I gave him his dummy(pacifier) on take off and landing. He is now 8 and has gone 9 times. My other son was 18 months when he went for the first time. Again, we gave him either the dummy or bottle on take off and landing. Its an overnight flight going and a day flight coming back. We never got extra seats for them when they were younger than 2.
If possible, ask for the babies seats ; they have more leg room to move around in.
Good luck. If you make a fuss, the baby will fuss. If you relax and just enjoy yourself, the baby will be fine. Bring a spare tee shirt for yourself jsut incase of a spitup.
have fun.
dorothy

Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM

279 posts, read 1,245,244 times
Thanks everyone for the input. We decided not to get her a seat. Since it's a short flight, we're going to put her on our lap. We will see how it goes. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or