U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,040,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahruska View Post
i am afraid if i move out then he wont have to pay for my college anymore? could that happen?
He is not legally obliged to pay for your college- even if you stay at home; that is just something nice parents tend to do if they can afford it. Look into getting a job and/or scholarship to pay for college, or maybe take a year out, work really hard and save, then go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,243,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_daddy06 View Post
You make your own mother sounds nasty. Yet, your educated enough to go to uni. 18 years she spent caring for you and you begrudge her a little worry and overcontrol? She loves you and doesnt want to be without you. She went through labor to birth you, nourished you, sheltered you, fed you, paid for your education, and you slander her to us on this blog? Sure she may not be perfect, who is? But she did not abort you like so many so-called mothers today. Pregnancy, birth, and raising a daughter over 18 years is a huge slice out of her life. So why don't you get one too?
Some mothers are nasty. The notion that all mothers deserve to be exalted in some way is silly. There are mothers who keep a roof of their kids' head and are still abusive, neglectful in other ways, etc. Parents who are overcontrolling are a problem, and any adult child who chooses to cut those bonds will be healthier and happier in the long run once they set boundaries with their parents.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 652 times
im 18 turning 19 july 24th im trying to move to flordia but my mom wont let me she put the state in it ive never been in truble by the law done anything bad but my mothers trying to stop me from moveing out of new york whats wrong with wanting a new life

Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahruska View Post
i am going through this exact same thing. my father is extremely controlling. i am and A and B kid also graduating with honors.. got accepted into a college that he is unhappy with me attending. i am always extremely nice to him and i basically kiss his but yet all he sees is the negative. i am debating moving out but my mother doesnt make enough money to support me and my college expenses.. i am afraid if i move out then he wont have to pay for my college anymore? could that happen?
Of course that could happen. Legal adulthood is reached at age 18.

It goes both ways you know. The 18 year old can move out, make all his own decisions. The parents can do the same, the parents are also no longer obligated. As an adult, you can find your own job, earn your own money -- you should plan on doing that as soon as you want to sever the bond with the parent.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM

9,224 posts, read 20,241,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty199210 View Post
im 18 turning 19 july 24th im trying to move to flordia but my mom wont let me she put the state in it ive never been in truble by the law done anything bad but my mothers trying to stop me from moveing out of new york whats wrong with wanting a new life
You need to explain the situation. How is she keeping you there?
What do you mean that she's getting the state involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or