U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:10 AM

7,126 posts, read 13,803,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah012 View Post
My boyfriend is going through the same thing right now. I really don't know what I can do. He just turned 18 and was living under his parents house, forcefully. He then was kicked out of the house by his father. He doesn't know whats going to happen or how he's going to survive. He just got a job, but he doesn't have a vehicle. I feel so helpless. What should i do? What are the legal issues?
Is he still going to school?
If he's not, legally he's an adult.
Most of my sons friends were also kicked out at 18; they stayed with friends, got a job, then rented rooms or apartments. 2 of them are doing pretty well, another moved in with the 2 and can't seem to save money; has been staying with them for 2 years and has worn out his welcome.

They've found jobs close to where they were staying and walked to work or got a bicycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
LML

7,090 posts, read 5,407,741 times
All 3 of my children graduated from college. I never had to sign anything for any of them to enroll.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 12,613 times
Default Please help me

This may be long so please be patient with me....In 2006 my father was murdered and before that my mom and I didnt have the best relationship and my father wasnt in the picture until a few months before he was killed...after my dad died my mom thought she was helping me when she only made things worst and we fought a lot and one morning I tried to kill myself and ended up in the hospital....she had to drive me from school to the hospital and before we got into the car she was pushing me and the whole way to the hospital she was yelling at me...Things only got worst from there....I have had many social workers try to help..one even was saying that everything was my fault...Almost a week before my 18th birthday(on my dads birthday) I was joking with my mom saying I didnt want her cousin going to my musical and when I got home from practice she told me she wanted me out of the house by 12:01 am on saturday(my birthday) or she would call the cops on me...for that week it was hell one night she even threw a porcelien angel that I got at my dads memorial and hit me in the leg and when I showed it to the cops when they came over that night they didnt do anything about it....they told me that everything in my house belong to my mother and she could decide what I took with me when she kicked me out...since they werent helping I tried to sneak some stuff out....my mom was crazy enough to to not even let me into my room and she had me go to school in the same clothes for three days in a row....I was kicked out the day before my birthday which was a little over 4 months ago....she told my aunt I had to pay her $700 to get my stuff from her so I was left with pretty much nothing....she even has things that my boyfriends family bought for me and my dads urn and pretty much all of my clothes...now I am trying to go to college but they have been telling me I need to get ahold of my mom and everything...I dont want to do that cause I know she wont listen...she said she doesnt want anything to do with anyone in the family anymore...is there any way I can get my stuff back from my mom and be able to go to college without waiting until I am 24? I am sorry for making this so long but I was trying to sum everything up so I just put the stuff that i thought was important in there.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,986 times
My daughter who is eighteen has been in a rehabilitation facility in Stoning, Ct. for about a year. She was placed on probation recently because of a fight with another patient. Now the instution is telling her that she cannot be released until her probation officer says so. The counselor at the facility says she doesn't fell like contacting the probation officer because she feels that my daughter has a bad attitude. after being told that she would be released on her eighteenth birthday, which was a few weeks ago, she is very disappointed and eager to get out so that she can get her GEDand go on to a community college. Does she have any rights or recourse? she feels like there is no way out and cannot look forward to anything in the future until someone decides to look into her case.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 AM

25,243 posts, read 27,352,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseygill View Post
I have recently moved out of my moms house. She was very controlling and i was scared to death of her. I had so much anxiety and stress living with her because I always had to walk on egg shells. Anyways she is not too happy about me moving out before I graduate. I will be recieving an honors diploma and I have straight A's. i plan on goin to college but she says she wont pay or sign as my legal guardian. I know I can get a grant but does she really havr to sign papers in oder for me to go? I also would like to know some of my legal rights as an 18 yea old [in Alabama]. SHe tries to tell me what I can and cant do still and threatens to call the police.
An 18-year-old is a legal adult. You make your own decisions and sign your own contracts. If you can pay your own freight in life, your parents have no authority over you. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Quote:
I have recently moved out of my moms house. She was very controlling and i was scared to death of her. I had so much anxiety and stress living with her because I always had to walk on egg shells. Anyways she is not too happy about me moving out before I graduate. I will be recieving an honors diploma and I have straight A's. i plan on goin to college but she says she wont pay or sign as my legal guardian. I know I can get a grant but does she really havr to sign papers in oder for me to go? I also would like to know some of my legal rights as an 18 yea old [in Alabama]. SHe tries to tell me what I can and cant do still and threatens to call the police.
18 years is majority age, I believe without exception in the United States. On your 18th birthday you can own property, legally enter into contracts, etc. etc. without your parents. She's not your legal guardian anymore, you can represent yourself. Other than withold financial support, there is nothing she can do to prevent you from going to school, getting a job, buying a car, joining the military, etc. etc.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:53 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,570,431 times
Quote:
Problem with student loans is they want your parents tax returns to prove they dont make enough to pay your way.
if you are estranged perhaps you can override this somehow. OTherwise at 18 you are free free! She can't do anything to you, you are not even living in her house and are of legal age in america.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 PM

103 posts, read 179,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Problem with student loans is they want your parents tax returns to prove they dont make enough to pay your way.
if you are estranged perhaps you can override this somehow. OTherwise at 18 you are free free! She can't do anything to you, you are not even living in her house and are of legal age in america.
That is one thing I don't understand. If, by law, a person at 18 is an adult, why does FAFSA require the parents' tax return up until age 24? For the life of me, I cannot figure this out, especially when that child is no longer living at home.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,761,343 times
I have been researching college admissions lately, and have read that there are provisions for those students whose parents are not involved-I think one is abandonment, also parent with mental problems, abuse, ect...not sure how to claim them, but go check the library for college planning books. They talked about it.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 PM

9 posts, read 1,251 times
At 18 you are no longer legally connected to your parents. On a college app., or financial aid, etc., since you are not living under your parents' roof, anywhere it asks for information about your parents, simply put N/A. You are under no obligation to give ANY information about your parents for any reason after you turn 18 (If you are supporting yourself, and living in your own place.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting